"Wow offer made to Davis!" (7 years - $150M Not one nickle more)

wildcard

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will that be enough? They may offer that when they know he has 6/150 in hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have yet to see an team that will go 7/140 or more. I don't think the Cards will. Dipoto does not sound like he will with the Mariners. The Giants are going to spend a ton on a starting pitcher. Maybe 30M/year on Price or Greinke. Probably not enough left to go for Davis also. Houston has AJ Reed coming and they seem to like Gattis at DH. The Yankees are more likely to go for a outfielder (Heyward or Upton) if they do anything at all. Boston sounds focussed on pitching and keeping Ramirez at first. The Blue Jay have the best offense in baseball and need starting pitching. I just don't see who is going to give Davis 7/140. I question if the O's will.

Roch is reporting that Jim Duquette is predicting that the O's could sign Davis for 7/140. Do you believe the O's will go that high?

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/11/more-on-free-agency-and-manny-machado.html

He had a line recently that was something to the effect of "Can the Orioles afford to resign Chris Davis? Perhaps the better question is 'can they afford not to." He went on to talk about not alienating players and fans, etc. He brings up a good point. You can't let Cruz walk and trade Tommy Hunter all because of money, and still let CD walk. I mean, of course the O's can do whatever they want, but I think it'd be a catastrophic failure to let him go, unless his price is so out of control that it'd be irresponsible to match another offer. I think 7/140 is within their spending means.

Also, somewhat unrelated, what does the MASN ruling mean for payroll? Anything? Or are we going to continue the OH consensus that PGA is just going to use MASN money to line his pockets instead of assembling a winner?

If they do, it sure will put a smile on Manny's face.

I'd rather the team put 7/140 towards extending Machado this off-season. I like Davis, and it was nice to see "Crush" alive and well this past season, but it seems like the 7/140 for Davis would be an albatross after year 4 - probably.

I'd rather the team put 7/140 towards extending Machado this off-season. I like Davis, and it was nice to see "Crush" alive and well this past season, but it seems like the 7/140 for Davis would be an albatross after year 4 - probably.

Agree 100%....letting Manny walk would be a huge mistake. Manny is on his way to Cooperstown.

Agree 100%....letting Manny walk would be a huge mistake. Manny is on his way to Cooperstown.

I might be in the minority here, but I would offer Manny 10/250 right now, and not think twice about it. Keep Manny here until he is 33. 25mil AAV would probably prove to be a little bit of a bargain over the life of the contract. Manny would have to think long and hard before turning down 10/250. You don't let cornerstone players like Manny get away...

I'm not disagreeing with you toatally, but why extend Manny and put all of your money in one player of they can't spend around him?

By the way, I would not resign Davis. I think they could spread some money around and get improvement from a couple of spots that did not produce last season.

Since we're always talking about how and the farm system is, can we really afford to let Manny walk in a few years and have another hole were unable to fill? Make him an offer he can't refuse and give the team some guarantees of an MVP candidate for years to come. I'm not sure how some huge contract for him affects what the O's can do next year, but if we're gonna use that money on anyone I'd rather it be Manny than Crush (I would like both but come on).

Archived