"Wow offer made to Davis!" (7 years - $150M Not one nickle more)

wildcard

How many of these guys were effected by the end of the Steriod era? I think you have to consider that Davis will not be affected by that!

Probably Glaus and Cust, and Hafner and Delgado. But the type of skills do not age well through the decades before either.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never seen so many people willing to part ways with a 40 homerun guy with ease. I don't know if I should scared or what!

What do you mean by "with ease"? I think everyone would like to keep Davis. If it was 1971 and you could keep everyone for whatever price you wanted he'd be an Oriole for a long time. But there's this little thing called free agency, and Davis employs Mr. Boras as his advocate. You don't have Boras as an agent unless you want to play hardball and get all the money you can get. It's rarely advantageous to pay Boras prices for a free agent. Especially one being sold as a "40 homer guy" who has hit 40 homers twice since he broke into the majors more than seven years ago.

What do you mean by "with ease"? I think everyone would like to keep Davis. If it was 1971 and you could keep everyone for whatever price you wanted he'd be an Oriole for a long time. But there's this little thing called free agency, and Davis employs Mr. Boras as his advocate. You don't have Boras as an agent unless you want to play hardball and get all the money you can get. It's rarely advantageous to pay Boras prices for a free agent. Especially one being sold as a "40 homer guy" who has hit 40 homers twice since he broke into the majors more than seven years ago.

You're fired!

Funny when I look at Glaus, Cust, Moe, Hafner, Dunn, etc, I don't see anyone who reminds me of CD. When I look at their stats they are similar, but CD is an athlete, so I don't think he will age the same.

I think it's probably true that being in great shape gives you a better chance of having a longer career. But there are plenty of excellent athletes whose careers were over at 33. My hunch is that overall production is the best indicator of career length, followed by having broad base of skills. Davis does have an advantage in not being really up against the wrong end of the defensive spectrum, he's not just a DH trying to play first, he has a some value as a OF/1B/DH.

I think it's probably true that being in great shape gives you a better chance of having a longer career. But there are plenty of excellent athletes whose careers were over at 33. My hunch is that overall production is the best indicator of career length, followed by having broad base of skills. Davis does have an advantage in not being really up against the wrong end of the defensive spectrum, he's not just a DH trying to play first, he has a some value as a OF/1B/DH.

Brady still looks like he could play.

I think it's a good bet that Davis will be a 2 WAR or better at age 34.

If you are Dan' date=' what is your first offer? Do you want to let the market "set itself" first? Or keep him as much as possible away from other teams?[/quote']

I think they have had several offers made already. And They were not enough for the representation to take them to the client.

I think they have had several offers made already. And They were not enough for the representation to take them to the client.

I think that is well in the past. I doubt offers have been made recently. I'm guessing the 7/140 figure has been floated to scare other teams away and limit the market.

I think that is well in the past. I doubt offers have been made recently. I'm guessing the 7/140 figure has been floated to scare other teams away and limit the market.

So, his own agent floating 7/$162 was because he wanted him to re-sign with the Orioles as well and not get the best possible offer.

Uh huh.

So, his own agent floating 7/$162 was because he wanted him to re-sign with the Orioles as well and not get the best possible offer.

Uh huh.

Don't know where you got this number or what you are referring to. Boras through Heyman has floated 7/182 and DD through his cousin has floated 7/140.

Don't know where you got this number or what you are referring to. Boras through Heyman has floated 7/182 and DD through his cousin has floated 7/140.

And that's the number I meant. Heyman has become the mouthpiece for him. Do you think the market is hurt or made better because someone puts out a number? It's not how it works.

Archived