"Wow offer made to Davis!" (7 years - $150M Not one nickle more)

wildcard

Dan has played down Chris' membership in the mega contract club. Says he started late, worked hard to get where he is, has had ups and downs, and a suspension. Does not have the track record of an extended period of play at the level that has traditionally garnered top of the market paycheck. Says he has great power. Which is in high demand.

Dan Duquette downplays where the market might be and did not argue with Bowden or Jim D saying that 120 million sounds right. Despite the 80 billion dollar rumors. Says the market has to play out on this and the ownership of the Orioles is very interested in being one of the bidders for his services.

Bowden said 6/120. JD said 7/140. Did he argue with that?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you offer Davis 7/140 then you really have to address other parts of the club as well. That contract would be ugly in the final years...you'd better make hay in the early years by bolstering the rotation and resolving the vacuum in the outfield.

Anybody who thinks Boras is a tough negotiator better remember that no one is hard, tougher or smarter than Angelos.

If Boras is the gold standard for players reps, Angelos is the gold standard for the teams. So when Boras plays hardball with GMs, Angelos is the King of hardball with agents.

1. The Orioles WILL offer 7/140, as soon as Davis is offered 7/141 by another team.

2. He's not worth it in the long run. For the same reasons that Cruz wasn't worth the last year or 2 of his current contract, which is why the O's balked, Davis won't be worth the last 2-3 years of a 7 year deal.

The only way $120 million works for Davis' camp is if someone is in the 5-6 year range. And yes the last half of that contract is trouble while they don't address other needs.

I'll believe they have the money for him and everything else they need to do when I see it. And I'd still be against anything of that length, an opt out after three years makes it slightly less unbearable.

Anybody who thinks Boras is a tough negotiator better remember that no one is hard, tougher or smarter than Angelos.

If Boras is the gold standard for players reps, Angelos is the gold standard for the teams. So when Boras plays hardball with GMs, Angelos is the King of hardball with agents.

1. The Orioles WILL offer 7/140, as soon as Davis is offered 7/141 by another team.

2. He's not worth it in the long run. For the same reasons that Cruz wasn't worth the last year or 2 of his current contract, which is why the O's balked, Davis won't be worth the last 2

I really believe this, but also wonder how we can replace him efficiently

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/chris-davis-a-risk-in-free-agency/

Among the players we find here, David Ortiz appears to profile as the most promising of comparables for Davis, but at age 30 and beyond, Ortiz is not even the best of Davis? comps. That honor goes to Frank Howard. The chart below reveals the performance in the theoretical first four years of Davis? free agent deal, where his team would hope for the best performance before a likely decline near the end of a contract.

CHRIS-DAVIS-VALUES-BASED-ON-AGE-30-THROUGH-AGE-36-COMPS-e1447892666153.png

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Orioles owner Peter Angelos personally involved in the team's effort to re-sign Chris Davis -- which must happen for O's to have a chance.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

">November 23, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" data-tweet-id="668747243680346112" title="Twitter Tweet" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; width: 100%; height: 202.765625px; padding: 0px; border: none; max-width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;"></iframe>

<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Really, really bad idea. Take that money and sign two players. And don't be stuck with an albatross four to five years down the road.

2. He's not worth it in the long run. For the same reasons that Cruz wasn't worth the last year or 2 of his current contract, which is why the O's balked, Davis won't be worth the last 2-3 years of a 7 year deal.

If CD signs a multi-year contract in that range, and the O's offer 5 million less for the same period, then the hell with him. CD's life style at that income is not going to change. Loyalty is two directional. I am not in favor of these contracts for any of these players. But, that's a whole other topic. There will be a half billion dollar contract within the next 20 years.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Orioles owner Peter Angelos personally involved in the team's effort to re-sign Chris Davis -- which must happen for O's to have a chance.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="
">November 23, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Chicks dig the long ball and evidently so does Peter.

There will be a half billion dollar contract within the next 20 years.

If inflation is 5%, $250M today would be $663M in 20 years. So, yea, if baseball economy doesn't collapse it's almost inevitable. But if MLB revenues are $8B today, using the same assumptions they'll be $21B with no real growth in 2035.

If inflation is 5%, $250M today would be $663M in 20 years. So, yea, if baseball economy doesn't collapse it's almost inevitable. But if MLB revenues are $8B today, using the same assumptions they'll be $21B with no real growth in 2035.

I'm willing to bet that Bryce Harper's next contract will exceed Stanton's deal. Could be a $400M deal over 15 years.

Archived