If Wieters starts hot in 2016, but the team does not...

FanSince88

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe Wieters can only be traded after June 15. Yes, I think the Orioles should have a hard look at that option, and not just if they are off to a poor start. No point in getting too worked up about it right now, but I expect this will be a big topic for discussion in June.

The love for Caleb is that he has almost the same numbers as Winters over their careers for a fraction of the price and is pretty good defensively.

Did I miss it when Joseph caught 140 games in a season?

I'd think I'd remember something like that.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say it is easier to keep the bat fresh when you only catch 94 games.

Did I miss it when Joseph caught 140 games in a season?

I'd think I'd remember something like that.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say it is easier to keep the bat fresh when you only catch 94 games.

Wieters called Caleb and gave him a heads up that he was going to accept a QO.

He told Caleb:

he was more than capable of catching 130-140 games in the big leagues."

It would take more then five games out in May that is for sure.

Would take pretty much a total collapse, a start like the 2011 club might be enough.

But to actually answer the question.

It would depend on the package. If it seemed to be basically equivalent to the pick I would do it since you would recoup a significant part of his salary.

If Wieters is playing on fire, like on pace for 4 or 5 wins, then he's probably going to command a top 20-40 prospect, which is worth between 7-12 WAR according to this article. A sandwich pick is worth <5 WAR

If Wieters is playing like crap, then we don't even get a draft pick, because we aren't offering him qualifying offer. So that would be sad. We might get a top 80-100 draft pick for him then, which is basically as valuable as a comp pick.

A trade is almost always preferable, even for mid-tier prospects. You can usually wring out reliever value out of mid-tier pitching prospects.

I know what he said.

I also know what Joseph has actually done.

Do you think that if Joseph caught 130 games his offense wouldn't suffer?

Hard to know. I doubt Joseph ever will catch that many games in a season, though. Very few do, with Wieters being one of the rare ones who has done it a few times. Last year only two catchers started 130 games in all of MLB.

Archived