Sounds more and more like Britton to the rotation...

wildcard

Dan has specifically said he won't. Britton has specifically said it is too late for him and no one has ever mentioned it to him. Last week they both said this. Maybe they are both telling tales for some reason. Heck, maybe Zach gets traded. It's 12/16/15.

Exactly. Looks like we're going to try on Gallardo first. Then move onto other options when they present themselves. Still a lot of guys out there that we could sign on 1 year deals or milb deals. All types of trade scenarios could happen. Britton has even said the time has passed for him in the rotation.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I was one of the first people to suggest that the Orioles might try this, I think there is zero evidence that they plan to do it. And from Britton's standpoint, with the kind of money he is making as a closer, why mess with a good thing? He'll be set for life very soon.

The rise in the price of pitching is interesting. Just two years ago, we signed Ubaldo for the largest pitching contract in Baltimore history, 4 years, 52 million, or 13 million per year and he was considered a top to middle end starter then. Now you are looking at 20 million for a middle to top end starter.

The rise in the price of pitching is interesting. Just two years ago' date=' we signed Ubaldo for the largest pitching contract in Baltimore history, 4 years, 52 million, or 13 million per year and he was considered a top to middle end starter then. Now you are looking at 20 million for a middle to top end starter.[/quote']

It's very disconcerting, especially with how volatile they always are.

When you look at the requirements Dan is giving' date=' the only real help is Kazmir, Leake or Chen (we don't have to give up the #14 pick for him)[/quote']

Kenta Maeda, Tony Cingrini, Homer Bailey (TJ), Trevor Bauer, Sonny Gray, James Shields, Julio Teheran, Mike Minor.

Kenta Maeda, Tony Cingrini, Homer Bailey (TJ), Trevor Bauer, Sonny Gray, James Shields, Julio Teheran, Mike Minor.

Sorry, was only thinking of FA options. We don't have a lot of offer in a trade.

Another one we could have gone for was Colon, but that ship has now sailed

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/mets-to-re-sign-bartolo-colon.html

Sorry' date=' was only thinking of FA options. We don't have a lot of offer in a trade.

Another one we could have gone for was Colon, but that ship has now sailed

[url']http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/mets-to-re-sign-bartolo-colon.html[/url]

We can make a trade. It will hurt, but we can make one. We are getting 7 picks from the top 100. Take five college players.

If we go to Spring Training w/o a lefty starter, I expect the Orioles will give Brian Matusz a very long look. I think Brian has figured out how to pitch around certain right handers. Now if could reduce the walks a bit, he could be a good starter.

If we go to Spring Training w/o a lefty starter, I expect the Orioles will give Brian Matusz a very long look. I think Brian has figured out how to pitch around certain right handers. Now if could reduce the walks a bit, he could be a good starter.

Again, he would have already had to have been prepping in order to be ready for February. So probably no Matusz to the rotation unless he's been secretly gearing up.

Double unlikely for Britton to the rotation. Not only would he have to stretch out physically, but he's got to be a completely different pitcher as a starter. He'd have to retrain on secondary pitches because he can't throw 97 MPH sinkers for five or six innings straight each appearance. It would be a drastic change in his approach... it's not just a switch he can flip (a lot of posters seem to feel that it is).

Archived