Sounds more and more like Britton to the rotation...

wildcard

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kind of a huge miscalculation on his part no?

Maybe he shouldn't have traded all that young, controlled pitching for the like of Norris and Parra.

I hear those guys only make a bit over 500K a year.

This. Dan's comments about the importance of drafting and developing your own pitching to avoid the high FA prices seems a bit bizarre and hypocritical considering he's the one who made the decisions to trade EdRod, Davies, Arrieta, Tarpley, Brault, Hader. He's also given up a lot of draft picks and international bonus slots that could have been used to acquire pitching prospects. Would you rather have 6 years of Davies or EdRod at very cheap salaries, or give up a 1st round pick and $80 million for Gallardo??

The rise in the price of pitching is interesting. Just two years ago' date=' we signed Ubaldo for the largest pitching contract in Baltimore history, 4 years, 52 million, or 13 million per year and he was considered a top to middle end starter then. Now you are looking at 20 million for a middle to top end starter.[/quote']

Top end starter ? No. Not on a good team. He's a 3 at best. Solid but nothing better.

He's not in the class of Price, Grienke, Cueto, Zimmerman ... Ubaldo is north 13m but that's market value for what he is and was.

Again, he would have already had to have been prepping in order to be ready for February. So probably no Matusz to the rotation unless he's been secretly gearing up.

Double unlikely for Britton to the rotation. Not only would he have to stretch out physically, but he's got to be a completely different pitcher as a starter. He'd have to retrain on secondary pitches because he can't throw 97 MPH sinkers for five or six innings straight each appearance. It would be a drastic change in his approach... it's not just a switch he can flip (a lot of posters seem to feel that it is).

I think Brian prepares to be a starter every offseason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The one signing that has shocked me is Samardzija. The rest of the pitchers have gone for about what I would have expected. IMO, it makes no sense to spend all the money they spent on O'Day but then not be willing to spend the money and or pick to get a starting pitcher. The O'Day signing showed to me that the Orioles were serious about trying to contend. If that's true, then you can't go into next season with Mike Wright as your plan in the rotation.

Archived