Can Latos left knee pass an O's physical?

wildcard

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a very different definition of "painful" than some of you have. To me, it would have been excruciating to watch the disaster going through with a Balfour signing would have brought upon us, including the inevitable trade of Britton, and watching him become a top closer on another team. I believe that there probably would have been pain before the three years was up, had Markakis accepted the overpay offer the Orioles made. Fortunately, the Braves saved us. Had they not, it would have been us, rather than the Braves, trying unsuccessfully to find a trade partner. To cite those two cases as examples of the pain of being an Oriole fan amazes me. It has become evident that other teams have seen the wisdom of verifying the health of potential free agents, and we are seeing other teams back out of potentially disastrous deals due to concerns over the physical exam, as well.

It is also quite important to note that in both cases, the Orioles were talking about shorter-term deals with the players. If the Orioles ate looking at Latos for one year, and other teams are as well, the impact of any difference in the degree of detail in the physical exam between Baltimore's medical staff and that of other teams is negligible, IMO.

Chris Davis, if signed, is very questionable to repeat his 2015 season.

Wieters/Joseph 2016 is unlikely to significantly outperform Joseph/Wieters 2015 (19 homers - 74 RBI).

Mark Trumbo - 2015 (.735 OPS - 106 OPS + - oWar - 1.8

Jimmy Paredes - 2015 (.726 OPS - 96 OPS + - oWar - .7

Trumbo is better, of course, but the difference isnt' necesarily overwhelming.

Schoop is a wildcard, pardon the pun. He could breakout or not.

Manny could hit 40 homers or he could have the same or even a worse season next year. Regression is possible.

I look at its differently. I'm not say my view is better. I just like a optimistic approach.

Davis could be sometime along the 2013-15 type production.

A healthy Wieters is good for 22 homer and add Joesph the O could hav 27 from the catchers.

Trumbo in with half the games in Camden plus a lot of game in hitters parks in New York, Boston and Toronto could hit 30 homer.

Schoop with a full year at last year pace will hit 30 homers.

Manny is still improving and may hit 40.

Jones could be good for 30.

That's 200 without anything from left, right or SS.

I have plenty of those but haven't thought of Pee Wee Herman in years. You're "I can't assume what you know" made me think of "I know what you are but what am I" for some reason.

I wouldn't know. I am not a Wee Herman fan and wouldn't know his sayings.

Why not just think that every Oriole will match their career years, and young players like Schoop, Wright, and Wilson will break out? Then we don't have to sign anyone and we are a WS contender right now.

Schoop has shown enough at the major league level to have a reasonable projection of improvement if he stays healthy. Wright is having trouble making the jump to the majors. Wilson is probably not ready to be a regular starter in the majors, but I could see him being value in 10 to 12 starts for the O's.

I can't assume what you know.

Are you saying it's possible someone on this board has knowledge of Latos' medical records, moreover, how the Orioles medical staff would evaluate them, and finally how the Front Office will proceed from there? It has already been explained to you a few times that the way you worded your original question cannot be answered here.

Are you saying it's possible someone on this board has knowledge of Latos' medical records, moreover, how the Orioles medical staff would evaluate them, and finally how the Front Office will proceed from there? It has already been explained to you a few times that the way you worded your original question cannot be answered here.

You are post #42. It has not stopped the discussion. It is quite possible that someone on the OH has more insight into the nature and extent of Latos' injury than what I have.

Archived