First Domino to Fall? (Gordon back to KC, 4 yrs $72M)

SticksandStones

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">There is increasingly strong sentiment among competitors that Alex Gordon is going to wind up back in Kansas City and it could happen soon.</p>— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) <a href="

">January 6, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I feel like once one signs, the rest will begin to in short order. Maybe we can finally get some clarity on this off-season.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">According to sources, Alex Gordon and the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Royals?src=hash">#Royals</a> have agreed to a mult-year deal, pending physical. Announcement likely today</p>— Jeffrey Flanagan (@FlannyMLB) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources: Alex Gordon to Kansas City is done, confirming report from <a href="https://twitter.com/FlannyMLB">@FlannyMLB</a>. Deal is believed to be in the four-year, low-$70M range.</p>— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) <a href="

WOW. If that is really the market maybe the O's can get two of Cespedes, Upton, Davis

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources: Alex Gordon to Kansas City is done, confirming report from <a href="https://twitter.com/FlannyMLB">@FlannyMLB</a>. Deal is believed to be in the four-year, low-$70M range.</p>— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) <a href="

At that price, I would have jumped at Gordon.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If Gordon is taking 4/70 as <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffPassan">@JeffPassan</a> reports, it could help the Os. Maybe a cheaper market for a guy like Davis.</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

<iframe title="Twitter Tweet" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen="true" style="padding: 0px; border: currentColor; border-image: none; width: 100%; height: 205.66px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px; display: block; visibility: visible; position: static; min-width: 220px; max-width: 500px;" allowtransparency="true" data-tweet-id="684746959341539330"></iframe>

<script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8" async=""></script>

WOW. If that is really the market maybe the O's can get two of Cespedes, Upton, Davis

Strange. Both Heyward and Gordon's deals appear to be valued like they're average fielders. 4/75 would be paying for a player with an established value of three wins. Gordon's actual established fWAR baseline is about 4.5. By my figurin' the Royals are getting him at a 40% discount.

At that price, I would have jumped at Gordon.

It's pretty concerning, to me at least, that the Orioles weren't players for Gordon in that price range. This whole idea of Davis or bust is driving me crazy. Davis, to me, is the least attractive of the guys we have been linked to.

I don't know if he signs that deal with any other team. I'm not saying it's a major hometown discount, but I don't think he signs with Baltimore if we give him a couple million more. Get the feeling that after winning the World Series, he was flying high with dreams of a 9-figure contract and once that balloon was popped, he came back home.

It's pretty concerning, to me at least, that the Orioles weren't players for Gordon in that price range. This whole idea of Davis or bust is driving me crazy. Davis, to me, is the least attractive of the guys we have been linked to.

Well, no one else was either apparently. Maybe he didn't want to go anywhere else?

There's no way Davis is worth 7/154 now. Boras will say that they are two very different players, but there just isn't a market for hitters in general this offseason.

I'm half disappointed we weren't in on him for that price, and half hopeful we can scoop up Upton/Cespedes/Davis with some money left over for pitching. I could see this increasing the likelihood that we bring back Chen now.

Archived