First Domino to Fall? (Gordon back to KC, 4 yrs $72M)

SticksandStones

It's pretty concerning, to me at least, that the Orioles weren't players for Gordon in that price range. This whole idea of Davis or bust is driving me crazy. Davis, to me, is the least attractive of the guys we have been linked to.

Could DD have been? We really don't know what goes on behind the scenes. IMO

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mark my words. The team with Chris Davis over the next four years will be better served than the one with the Royals number eight hitter.

Gordon batted 8th in one game this year, and in 36 games in his 1,115 starts. Putting that to one side:

(1) I think it's debatable who will be better the next four years. In the last four, Gordon has been worth 19.9 rWAR, Davis 15.1. Gordon is two years older, so perhaps Davis will be better, but I'm not sure.

(2) The big problem is that to get Davis' next four seasons, you also have to pay astronomical sums for the three years after that. That's likely to be pretty awful.

Gordon batted 8th in one game this year, and in 36 games in his 1,115 starts. Putting that to one side:

(1) I think it's debatable who will be better the next four years. In the last four, Gordon has been worth 19.9 rWAR, Davis 15.1. Gordon is two years older, so perhaps Davis will be better, but I'm not sure.

(2) The big problem is that to get Davis' next four seasons, you also have to pay astronomical sums for the three years after that. That's likely to be pretty awful.

i guess I was referring to his is in their playoff run. I was simply indicating to tie guaranteeing poster that you are vying the back end of Gordon's seven year deal.

Right. weams is blinded by home runs here as usual. Even if it was a sure bet Davis was going to be better over the next 4 years, which it isn't, you still have 3 more years of Davis at premium salaries after that. I'll take Gordon somewhere around what we got over Davis at 7/150ish all day, every day.

They're pretty close in established performance level. How well you're playing is the best bet on how well you'll age. We really don't know, but assuming a half a win of decline a year is reasonable. By 37 both Davis and Gordon are likely to be struggling to produce any value, if they're still in the league.

Of course, neither Gordon's contract nor the proposed Davis contract runs to age 37. Gordon's deal runs out at age 35, and the proposed Davis deal runs out at age 36. So I'm not sure why we are even talking about what they'll be doing at age 37.

If it's the Orioles, assume laziness or stupidity or cheapness. If it's another team assume they had valid reasons.

Maybe they didn't think he's worth 18M a year, though 4 years is a club friendly length

It's also reasonable to assume some loyalty to a legitimate and actual contender. KC getting it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe they didn't think he's worth 18M a year, though 4 years is a club friendly length

It's also reasonable to assume some loyalty to a legitimate and actual contender. KC getting it done.

Model organization after being one of the worst for so many years

Just for arguments sake, would you have paid Markakis with pop 18m/year over 4 at 32 years old? I think

Nick at his peak was pretty comparable to Gordon. (Good OBP, Good defensively, .280-.300, 20 HRs a couple times). Pretty sure if this happened in our back yard there would be differing opinions.

I think its the 4 years that makes this deal look small, its still an AAV of $18MM... if it was for 5/90 it would have been fairly close to most predictions of 5/100. I do believe supply and demand is bring down the values a little....7/150 for Davis looks like an overpay now. It will be interesting to see what Upton gets...I am not a cespedes fan and I don't see him getting a deal larger then Grodon's

I think its the 4 years that makes this deal look small' date=' its still an AAV of $18MM... if it was for 5/90 it would have been fairly close to most predictions of 5/100. I do believe supply and demand is bring down the values a little....7/150 for Davis looks like an overpay now. It will be interesting to see what Upton gets...I am not a cespedes fan and I don't see him getting a deal larger then Grodon's[/quote']

Was just saying the same thing to my buddy. We may have shot ourselves in the foot making the Davis offer public.

i guess I was referring to his use in their playoff run. I was simply indicating to tie guaranteeing poster that you are getting the back end of Gordon's seven year deal.

Archived