O's Have Contacted Upton

SticksandStones

I can't see anyone giving him a one year deal unless they already gave up a pick or they really think he is the piece to win the title for them like the Cardianls. One year for the O's is zero chance.

The plan would be to hit him with a QO the next season. If a team had already surrender their first round pick then they could come out pretty even.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't see anyone giving him a one year deal unless they already gave up a pick or they really think he is the piece to win the title for them like the Cardianls. One year for the O's is zero chance.

We did it for Cruz and if you don't sign Davis you get a pick back albeit much lower in the 1st.....BTW my head is spinning too many threads discussing same tweets

A ~#30 pick in 2017 < #14 pick in 2016.

Like I said earlier, I would value it closer to a fairly high second round pick in 2016.

Fair enough, but that's not a total loss. Especially given we would likely get the comp pick from Davis as well.

Comp Pick + 2017 1st vs. 2016 1st

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough, but that's not a total loss. Especially given we would likely get the comp pick from Davis as well.

Comp Pick + 2017 1st vs. 2016 1st

Huh?... The comp pick for Davis has nothing to do with Upton. You simply add the value (In a monetary amount) to drop from 14 this year to about 30 next year and tack that on to whatever you are paying him (Upton). Then decide if its worth it.

Huh?... The comp pick for Davis has nothing to do with Upton. You simply add the value (In a monetary amount) to drop from 14 this year to about 30 next year and tack that on to whatever you are paying him (Upton). Then decide if its worth it.

I was comparing it to a situation where we would sign Davis. Obviously if we do nothing we keep all of the picks. You're right though. That would be 2016 comp + 2017 comp vs 14th pick in 2016.

Why Cespedes over Upton? Cost is presumably the same, no questions about clubhouse chemistry, and not a huge gap between them offensively.

Cespedes doesn't cost us a pick, and Upton is one of the laziest players I've ever seen. Buck would fry him, whereas Cespedes would run out foul balls and work hard

Cespedes doesn't cost us a pick, and Upton is one of the laziest players I've ever seen. Buck would fry him, whereas Cespedes would run out foul balls and work hard

Not everyone agrees with you.

http://www.redsoxlife.com/2014/10/whats-wrong-with-cespedes-and-why.html

Then we watched him in left field, with a sometimes lazy approach to the game that showed occasional balls hit out to him seemingly catching him off guard.

He miss played balls that he could have easily caught and we are not referring to wall balls that tripped him up, but balls that he seem to have gotten bad jumps to or just plain misplayed.

Was it that he figured his strong arm would make up for any lazy miscues?

When we are talking about signing a star player that could help us for over half a decade, while the draft pick should be a consideration it shouldn't make or break a possible deal.

I like Upton over Davis and Cespedes for several reasons. First he is two years younger. Second he has been more consistent with the bat over his career than either Davis or Cespedes. There is some serious upside in that bat. He has four AS appearances and two Silver Sluggers. He has five seasons in his career where he has hit more than 25 homeruns where as Cespedes only has one. Cespedes is also much more of a hacker where as Justin can get on base at a pretty good clip.

He's the guy I want. 1. Upton 2. Cespedes 3. Davis (unless the dollars/years come way down).

There's a lot of talk about him,but it's buried in several threads. Let's kick start this here

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Theres' been contact between O's & Justin Upton's camp. Matchup makes sense, especially if he goes Nelson Cruz route and takes 1-year deal.</p>? Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

">January 6, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He would be fine with me. Hope it hAppens.

When we are talking about signing a star player that could help us for over half a decade, while the draft pick should be a consideration it shouldn't make or break a possible deal.

I like Upton over Davis and Cespedes for several reasons. First he is two years younger. Second he has been more consistent with the bat over his career than either Davis or Cespedes. There is some serious upside in that bat. He has four AS appearances and two Silver Sluggers. He has five seasons in his career where he has hit more than 25 homeruns where as Cespedes only has one.

He's the guy I want. 1. Upton 2. Cespedes 3. Davis (unless the dollars/years come way down).

I think the point that many of us are making, as relates to the Olney quote cited in the OP, is that signing Upton for one year would not be worth it. I agree with you that on a lng-term deal, losing control of a draft pick for six MLB years is a lesser concern.

He would be fine with me. Hope it hAppens.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN">@Buster_ESPN</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/masnSteve">@masnSteve</a> Word is Cespedes is not a real good teammate or clubhouse presence. He hits, but you dont need problems on this team</p>— Ross Grimsley (@rgrimsley2) <a href="

">January 6, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived