Orioles and Rockies engaged in " ongoing trade talks " on Colorado outfielders

xian4

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were to completely ignore the Coors field effect on Blackmon, his splits as a hitter is pretty good. His is a left handed bat with a career batting avg 281 against left handed pitching, and 291 against righties. Hits well as a lead off hitter (first batter in the game 317avg, first hitter in the inning 290). 303avg with RISP.

Why get Upton when you can trade for a career .241 hitter outside of Coors?

Blackmon is arbitration eligible in 2016, but not a FA until 2019. Plenty of low-cost control. Cargo is admittedly a $37MM gamble over the next two years. But not a long-term gamble if it doesn't work. I tend to think that both of these players would thrive in Camden.

This, if it goes through, will neatly elimainate the O's from being in the running for any premium free agent that isn't Chris Davis. Add in the fact that no one else appears interested in Davis and we have the making of a terrible contract.

Unless they are willing to play Kim at DH/1B.

Cargo, man, I don't know what to think. Contract is OK (2yrs $37 mln). Hit .270 w/ 40HR and 97 RBI last year.

at Coors: .299/24HR/61RBI

on the road: .243/16HR/36 RBI

^^those are pretty close to his career splits. career .255 hitter outside of Coors.

You'd think he could muster a .260/27/90 line in Camden yards as a 30yr old in Baltimore.

Blackmon is a FA after 2018 and Dickerson is a FA after 2019. They're both cheap so i doubt the rockies trade either of those cats...especially if the O's are discussing a deal. Baltimore obviously dont have the prospects for it.

Honestly, I would ship out Bundy + a lower level prospect for Cargo and call it a day. Rockies shed ~$40 mln in salary over the next 2 years and there's very little room on the 25 man for Bundy on the O's with the bullpen looking stacked.

If cutting the cord on Bundy meant avoiding the disaster of the Davis contract, then I would do it.

But that's just me...

So wouldn't it be nice to add a guy who can? BTW the COL home away/splits are tricky. Because of the altitude change the ball doesn't break in COL and they get used to it, then go on the road and have a week or so to adjust to the breaking ball, before the are back to COL and have to readjust to no break. Plus they have to readjust to the lack of oxygen. It takes a toll both home and away.

I'm under the assumption that Buck is not a fan of stealing bases. We've been dead last three of the last four years.

I'm more interested in how good he is more than the amount of team control, and the stats suggest he's a product of where he plays and is average at best.

I won't argue with this, except to say that it all remains to be seen...

Archived