Davis Signs With Baltimore (7/$161M, incl $42M deferred)

TonySoprano

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Orioles are probably going to be rebuilding in three years anyway, right? Given the amount of money that will come off the books if we rebuild, I think we can afford to pay Chris Davis $23 million each for his decline years to get his good years while we're competitive.

The team, as it is currently constructed, is not competitive.

12. Never, ever count Scott Boras out. So many people said he was crazy for not accepting Angelos' initial offer at the Winter Meetings. I said all along he was a master at fishing for something better without letting an opportunity off the hook. Well, he got something better. Davis earned another $1.4 mm for every week he waited. Well worth it from the player's/agent's point of view. Boras is one smart cookie and has proved once again why he gets so many high-dollar clients. He's the best at what he does.

I can not disagree.

Well there is one category the O's will run away with next year, dollars spent per win

What are we around 130 million to win 75 games

we can root for Davis to get his third suspension and I think the O's get to not pay him for those games, that would be the only upside I see possible in this deal

I have no interest in watching the O's with Davis and his 250 strikeouts and .250 average ever again.

I wonder if Boras would have ever found another suitor at anywhere near this price.

The team' date=' as it is currently constructed, is not competitive.[/quote']

Same as the 81 win 2015 team with Trumbo, without Chen. I guess Wieters is expected to be fully healthy and AllStar caliber.

Where's the improvement over last season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part of me says "Yea. I like Chris Davis. He's been a very good Oriole. I'm glad he's pretty much going to finish his career here."

Part of me says "Hmm. They're paying a guy who had three good years in his 20s to have seven in his 30s. That's almost guaranteed to not happen. This contract will almost certainly end up somewhere between not-so-bad and 'Ryan Howard'."

My contract estimator said he was worth $120, so this is about a 30% overpay. And he's a extreme variance guy. You can almost count on 2-3 zeros out of the seven years.

Well there is one category the O's will run away with next year, dollars spent per win

What are we around 130 million to win 75 games

we can root for Davis to get his third suspension and I think the O's get to not pay him for those games, that would be the only upside I see possible in this deal

I have no interest in watching the O's with Davis and his 250 strikeouts and .250 average ever again.

I wonder if Boras would have ever found another suitor at anywhere near this price.

So does that mean you will stop posting for the next 7 years?

Part of me says "Yea. I like Chris Davis. He's been a very good Oriole. I'm glad he's pretty much going to finish his career here."

Part of me says "Hmm. They're paying a guy who had three good years in his 20s to have seven in his 30s. That's almost guaranteed to not happen. This contract will almost certainly end up somewhere between not-so-bad and 'Ryan Howard'."

My contract estimator said he was worth $120, so this is about a 30% overpay. And he's a extreme variance guy. You can almost count on 2-3 zeros out of the seven years.

Come year six I think we will be hoping he gets up to zero.

Same as the 81 win 2015 team with Trumbo, without Chen. I guess Wieters is expected to be fully healthy and AllStar caliber.

Where's the improvement over last season?

a) They're not done.

b) Kim could be pretty decent in a spot where they got zero last year.

c) Davis will probably be worse than he was last year.

d) The combination of Manny/Hardy/Schoop has a good chance of being better, as a group.

e) Tillman/Gausman could certainly be quite a bit better.

I can't disagree either. To compound the stupidity of this contract, you now have a9.15m DH. Could have signed Chris Carter or Pedro Alvarez for 4-5M. All three are virtually the same offensive player. Worse yet, don't be surprised to see Trumbo spend time in the OF. Poor allocation of resources? No kidding. At this point, the off season has been a disaster. Much higher payroll. Worse team on paper.

And less flexibility going forward.

Archived