Davis Signs With Baltimore (7/$161M, incl $42M deferred)

TonySoprano

Ooh, other moves, the suspense is killing me! Which third-rate SP will we sign? Fister is probably too expensive now. Maybe Jamie Moyer can dust off his old glove and go to spring training.

Maybe. No idea. I would assume Alvarez is not an Oriole now.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I appreciate your positivity! It is rare on this board right now. People act like it is there own money and there is no confirmation that we are done with signings yet. If we sign Cespedes everyone is going to have to awkwardly stop crying.

If you seriously think there's a snowball's chance we sign Cespedes, then I am very concerned for your mental health. Man that Kool Aid must be awful strong if half this board thinks we might still sign Cespedes.

BOTH Alex Gordon AND Scott Kazmir could have been signed for the same amount of money and half the time commitment as Davis. I hope everyone brands this fact into their memory cells. Exhibit A as to why this was a bad deal.

So, you know we would have signed them for those amounts?

Man, I like CD and wanted him back, but not for that. What a gross over-payment even if there is some serious money deferred. Good old Boras makes us look stupid again. Guess we'll hear about opt-outs and other contract clauses.

I said a few days ago I thought he'd sign here soon and we'd basically be looking at last years team with Chen out and Trumbo in. Still need to make more improvements. Hope something else is coming...

People have been crying for years for Peter to dip into his piggy bank. He got to choose who for. It was not part of a normal budget. In fact, it might be the Cruz and Markakis money.

If you seriously think there's a snowball's chance we sign Cespedes, then I am very concerned for your mental health. Man that Kool Aid must be awful strong if half this board thinks we might still sign Cespedes.

I'm not expecting it, but I'm not going to cry about something I don't even know for sure yet.

I appreciate your positivity! It is rare on this board right now. People act like it is there own money and there is no confirmation that we are done with signings yet. If we sign Cespedes everyone is going to have to awkwardly stop crying.

I understand both of your sentiments but I really have to respectfully disagree with the whole not your money thing. Yeah, it's not ours but this deal could make it harder to sign guys like Manny and Schoop when that time comes along with other things. One guy does not make a team. Anyhow, we'll see what happens the rest of the way. I'm honestly more disappointed that they increased the offer.

Does PGA now think the MASN situation is shored up? That is the only reason I can see us having enough to spend this much on Davis and still make any other moves that aren't 1-3 million types.

Unless PGA is feeling his mortality and wants to go for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have no info whatsoever. Was just told Peter had made the decision to sign Davis and others.

Man, I was just thinking yesterday how I wanted to commend the FO for how they played this negotiation. They came out quickly with a strong offer knowing they were taking advantage of how Boras likes to wait the market out. The leaked information made Davis/Boras to look like the bad guys not taking a good offer. They played it all perfectly until there are seemingly no other offers on the table and they UP theirs?!?!

Here's how I think the conversation went:

ANGELOS: Have you gotten any other contract offers for Davis yet?

BORAS: Up yours, buddy!

ANGELOS: All right, I will! How about $7 million more?

I understand both of your sentiments but I really have to respectfully disagree with the whole not your money thing. Yeah, it's not ours but this deal could make it harder to sign guys like Manny and Schoop when that time comes along with other things. One guy does not make a team. Anyhow, we'll see what happens the rest of the way. I'm honestly more disappointed that they increased the offer.

We heard a lot about Angelos being involved in this deal. Is that not unusual? It's very odd the deal was increased, but I think he has his favorites and wanted this deal done. Cespedes offer seems like a huge ploy which people got excited about when there was nothing to indicate (other than internet rummagings) Cespedes was seriously considering Baltimore.

Enjoy the 75 win seasons, everybody! Soon to be 70 win seasons when Manny leaves!

This makes me want to watch the team less, not more.

It apparently doesn't make you want to post less though. Understood that you're not happy with it. Maybe wait until all the details are out and you see what other possible deals that Roy and Weams have hinted at before you decide the franchise is finished?

FWIW I soured on CD a bit when he didn't gladly take the first offer but I'm willing to see what else transpires.

People have been crying for years for Peter to dip into his piggy bank. He got to choose who for. It was not part of a normal budget. In fact, it might be the Cruz and Markakis money.

That's true as well. He's been called a miser and now he's being criticized for spending too much money. I mean as I've gotten at already, I do agree we paid too much but the board is reading as damned if you do, damned if you don't to me. I mean I get the arguments on both sides of it and in fact i'm more closer to those who think we should not have given him this amount of money and years but baseball contracts are so weird. When I was a kid and this wasn't that long ago, 10 million per year salaries were a big deal. Anyhow, let's see what happens the rest of the way.

I can't believe all the crying about this. You don't let the two best power hitters in baseball leave in consecutive years. They don't exactly grow on trees. Additionally, if you think Angelos doesn't have enough money to get cespedes and a pitcher on a shorter deal you are crazy. Now whether he wants to spend on it is a different story. You also just can't break up the chemistry of your team. Jones, Davis, hardy, etc are the core and great teams build on their core, not break it up. The problem with pitching has been that the prospects have been a complete bust and now you are committed to them one way or the other. I'm very happy to keep our core together. Sorry but in today's sports you have to spend a lot of money to keep players, get over it. Angelos and this team have more money then you can imagine. It's about time he starts putting it towards this team. If they want to shed some dead weight get rid of matusz.

More Kool-Aid? They're serving up lots of it at the Warehouse today, I hear.

Where's the Kool-Aid, jackhole? I said I'd prefer Cespedes or Upton for RF, Alvarez for DH and someone like Latos for the rotation but I understand the CD resigning. It's just the repeated windbag complaining you are doing. Stop! We get you don't like the move. There's about 80 posts in this thread now and you have 1/4 of them b****ing about it the same way. I see why there is an ignore function. You are worse than OldFan#5.

Archived