Camden Depot: Re-Evaluating The Defense Of Matt Wieters And Caleb Joseph

Tony-OH

Nice article. I like both players and it will be interesting to see how Buck juggles them. I figure it will be roughly 2:1 Wieters. I also won't be shocked if we trade Wieters after June 15 when it's permitted.

It was interesting to read Wieters' comments about Davis today. I think Wieters would really like to be here long term himself. But with Joseph here, that makes little sense now. I hope Wieters has a great year and garners us a pick.

I don't relieve that we can offer Wieters the QO after the season, because he accepted the QO this past offseason. We'll lose him for nothing, if we don't trade him after June 15th, if my understanding of the QO system is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't relieve that we can offer Wieters the QO after the season, because he accepted the QO this past offseason. We'll lose him for nothing, if we don't trade him after June 15th, if my understanding of the QO system is correct.

Not quite sure what you mean. If you are saying that the Orioles might hesitate to offer him the QO because he accepted it this year, you may have a point, depending on how he does this year. If you are saying that the Orioles are not allowed to offer him the QO because they did so this year, that is not true.

I don't need to read anything to know Joseph is better.

Now we get to watch MW hit slow rollers to second for another year.

On your first point, that's certainly a supportable position with respect to defense.

On the second, there is no credible way to claim Calebs bat is better than Matts at this point or in the MLB in general.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All the evidence points to Wieters being a significantly better hitter than Joseph.

Precisely. A compelling case can be made that rolling with Caleb alone would have been more cost effective, but such an argument needs to be grounded in reality. Specifically that as far as on the field production to date, MW's bat has been significantly better and that will very likely continue moving forward.

Y

Broken record alert: The QO offer and acceptance by Wieters sabotaged the whole season and has had a ripple effect. Should not have QO'd Wieters, which led to the trade for our current DH/RF for 9.15M. There's 24.95M that could have been put towards Cespedes/Upton and a DH (Carter/Alvarez). If you are going to go for it this year, that was the way to start things off. Now we are just half assing our way to last year's team with a worse rotation.

Very few people would have advocated giving Wieters a QO if they'd thought he would take it. He did take it, so it looks bad now. I don't feel like arguing about it any more. What the O's would have done if they hadn't spent $15.8 mm on Wieters is anyone's guess. I'm not convinced they would have pursued Cespedes or Upton, who are multi-year commitments whereas Wieters and Trumbo are here for one year, but that's unknowable. At this point, I'm just hoping for good years out of Wieters and Trumbo.

Folks looking for bounce back years out of Tillman & Gonzo need to factor in how much they will suffer from MW's pitch framing

I think his lack of being able to frame a low strike will be a really big problem for Gausman & Britton.

Not sure how we could have had a worse offseason.

Now we have a bad team with multi year commitments to 30+ players (Davis, O'day, and Hardy) that will hamper the need for the team to re-build

Folks looking for bounce back years out of Tillman & Gonzo need to factor in how much they will suffer from MW's pitch framing

I think his lack of being able to frame a low strike will be a really big problem for Gausman & Britton.

Not sure how we could have had a worse offseason.

Now we have a bad team with multi year commitments to 30+ players (Davis, O'day, and Hardy) that will hamper the need for the team to re-build

You have really taken being able to see the bad side of things up a notch. Next level stuff.

One little thing to keep in mind, I have not found a single person in the industry who thinks Joseph can physically handle a full load. That certainly is something that I personally am poor at ascertaining but I keep getting that response back from people I think very highly of.

One little thing to keep in mind, I have not found a single person in the industry who thinks Joseph can physically handle a full load. That certainly is something that I personally am poor at ascertaining but I keep getting that response back from people I think very highly of.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. In this respect, I think it helps to look at the QO result as replacing Clevenger with Wieters. Caleb would get significant rest either way.

Archived