Who's our 5th starter if we don't add anyone else

TeamSchoop6

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm pretty sure I saw someone comment that Gonzalez's fastball was topping out in the 86-88 range somewhere in one of these threads. If not, someone correct me. If that's true that he has lost that much velocity and he's missing the plate 40% of the time, that is trouble. He won't survive if hitters have that long to see his pitches and he's getting behind in counts. His splitter also hasn't been good, so that would mean his stuff is nowhere near good enough to get away with throwing that many balls.

Your assertion that 40% balls is poor simply doesn't fly. Sorry.

Your assertion that 40% balls is poor simply doesn't fly. Sorry.
League average is around 62% strike to ball ratio. Nothing to see here except maybe someone who doesn't know what he is talking about. Interesting to note, Gonzo's career ave. str % is 64.7%, better than Kershaw's 63%, although Kershaw has been trending up ward and Gonzo has been holding steady. So if he regresses to his mean this year he should be OK.

League average is around 62% strike to ball ratio. Nothing to see here except maybe someone who doesn't know what he is talking about.

Gonzalez's fastball and stuff is currently below average. He's going to have to do better than that if he wants to be successful this year. Either that or find his stuff again.

Gonzalez's fastball and stuff is currently below average. He's going to have to do better than that if he wants to be successful this year. Either that or find his stuff again.
You have no idea. This is ST and his FB is what it usually is. It is a matter of command and that is not something you can judge in ST. Talk to ne in mid May.

You have no idea. This is ST and his FB is what it usually is. It is a matter of command and that is not something you can judge in ST. Talk to ne in mid May.

Fair enough, but at this rate, he may not even make it to mid May. Only idea I'm going on with regards to his stuff is what people are saying on here from watching him. Perhaps I am overreacting on the 40%, but are you saying people on here are overreacting about his velocity and lack of stuff right now? Considering he made 10 starts after the break last season and had a 6.14 ERA, it's not so easy to just brush it aside as nothing.

Edit: I really thought the league average for strikes was more like 65%-66%, so my bad on that. I should have double checked, but thought I was right. However, I still don't think Gonzalez is in a good place right now. If he would have done better last season, I think there would be far less concern with his velocity and stuff right now. His splitter lost it's mojo during that same second half last season and his control was shaky all year long. The fact that it's continuing now in the spring may be nothing, but considering what he did last year, I don't think the concerns about him now are unwarranted.

Odrisamer Despaigne with an eye opening 3 IP. No strikeouts but 23 strikes to 10 balls, one hit, no runs and some impressive pitches.

I don't think he makes the team opening day, but provided health I think he makes some starts this season. He has a big time pitch, that screwy knucklish curve that begs for him to develop something better off of it.

Odrisamer Despaigne with an eye opening 3 IP. No strikeouts but 23 strikes to 10 balls, one hit, no runs and some impressive pitches.

I don't think he makes the team opening day, but provided health I think he makes some starts this season. He has a big time pitch, that screwy knucklish curve that begs for him to develop something better off of it.

Does he have an option?

There is a long reliever spot in the pen that is open. Worley, Despaigne, McFarland, Wilson and Wright are candidates for that spot.

Despaigne has three options left.

I want Tyler Wilson to make the starting rotation so bad. I am afraid though that Miguel will win the last rotation spot due to his experience. I would send Miguel to Norfolk. T.J MacFarland has to make the team. He is a great guy to have in the bullpen.

What exactly are your reasons for why TJM must make this team?

There is a long reliever spot in the pen that is open. Worley, Despaigne, McFarland, Wilson and Wright are candidates for that spot.

Despaigne has three options left.

A of now it would seem McF is in because we don't have a lefty.

Archived