Zach Britton of the O's is judged to have the best pitch in baseball.

jjdman

There's velocity, because after all, every mile per hour of velocity does add effectiveness to a fastball. But there are so many variables involved even within velocity -- movement, release point, pitch deception -- that it's tough to get a good read on how effective velocity is by itself. Consider that Darren O'Day's rising 87 mph four-seam fastball had the highest whiff rate of any four-seamer in baseball last year. That's probably because hitters probably expect more sink from the "submariner" (at least that was his theory).

Darren gets an honorable mention as well. That tells you something about this bullpen.

I am going to admit it...(and I understand the importance of "mixing it up")...but I actually got mad last season when I thought Darren used the 4 seamer up too much. I am sure the statistics won't back me up.

Love our bullpen - still would like another lefty via free agency. Hopefully Tanner Scott's season will pick up where it left off. I know that this season is a stretch, but the AFL report was exciting,

I am going to admit it...(and I understand the importance of "mixing it up")...but I actually got mad last season when I thought Darren used the 4 seamer up too much. I am sure the statistics won't back me up.

Love our bullpen - still would like another lefty via free agency. Hopefully Tanner Scott's season will pick up where it left off. I know that this season is a stretch, but the AFL report was exciting,

It always scared me when I would see CJ/MW setting up high. But it worked.

It's hard for anyone to get hype about middle relievers. I think once he loses his rookie status, sees the league a few times, and gets himself into some higher leverage situations, his intrigue level will rise.

I was joking.

I was taking ESPN being complimentary of Britton and O'Day and flipping it to ESPN dissing Givens.

Because ESPN only cares about the Red Sox, Yankees, Cowboys, Patriots and whatever team LeBron James is playing for.

I was joking.

I was taking ESPN being complimentary of Britton and O'Day and flipping it to ESPN dissing Givens.

Because ESPN only cares about the Red Sox, Yankees, Cowboys, Patriots and whatever team LeBron James is playing for.

It's refreshing to see the "Everything Sox and Pinstripes Network" throw a bone to us occasionally.

It's refreshing to see the "Everything Sox and Pinstripes Network" throw a bone to us occasionally.

This shouldn't come as a surprise.

Britton is successful as a pitcher and he throws his primary pitch more often than anyone else.

That one pitch would have to be pretty darn good.

It always scared me when I would see CJ/MW setting up high. But it worked.

I get that it looks deceptively fast, changes the eye level of the hitter, and he was successful. I just felt that if you go to the well with that too many times, eapecially in a row, it loses those attributes and is 87 up. Quite frankly, the numbers, and I looked, don't support my gut and eyes.

I get that it looks deceptively fast, changes the eye level of the hitter, and he was successful. I just felt that if you go to the well with that too many times, eapecially in a row, it loses those attributes and is 87 up. Quite frankly, the numbers, and I looked, don't support my gut and eyes.

It also has movement unlike any other pitch in MLB.

Archived