Jonathan Schoop could be headed for Stardom

Redskins Rick

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

What is his long term health prognosis? I've read some comments here and there on the board about ongoing issues with his knee and would love to see someone lay out the issues in one post.

I do think his range is average at best. His arm is second to none, and he's amazing on the double play. I also love the way he tags runners on attempted steals. I think the defensive metrics underrate him a bit. He's not a Gold Glover, but the total package makes him solidly above average in my view.

I wonder if Schoop and Manny could both be signed to long-term contracts together because they are such friends. Not sure how that would work, but I bet Manny would be much more likely to sign long-term if Schoop is also signed.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/sunday-notes-pitching-profar-and-choo-reds-stephenson-more/

Jonathan Schoop’s 3.7% walk rate is among the lowest in either league. His 20.3% strikeout rate isn’t particularly good either. Plate discipline isn’t his forte. The Baltimore second baseman ranks seventh from the bottom in O-swing% with a hacktastic 41.0%.

That’s the bad news. The good news is that Schoop is a star-in-the-making. Still just 24 years old, the native of Curacao is slashing .299/.333/.509, and 15 of his 39 extra-base hits have left the yard. Defensively, he grades out as above-average.

Outside of Jose Altuve (and maybe Rougned Odor) is there a second baseman under the age of 30 you’d rather have with ceiling in mind?

I've been amazed, given his free-swinging tendencies, at the amount of damage he's done on pitches left in the zone. I keep waiting on a regression but maybe this is who he is now. If so, he's a bona fide talent who hasn't even peaked yet. Exciting times for Baltimore fans.

• 4 weeks later...

o

(vs. GIANTS, August 14th)

NUMBER 18

JONATHAN RUFINO JEZUS SCHOOP

Schoooooooppp!!!!!

What a tremendous win. You know what maybe the Orioles should petition the league NOT to play the crappy/mediocre teams!

Hopefully this win propels them to a much needed hot streak with a bunch of AL East games coming up sprinkled with some Houston and nats.

Archived