Jonathan Schoop could be headed for Stardom

Redskins Rick

I think he could hit higher in the order with success, but given our lineup, he's probably slotted for 7 or 8. I would put him ahead of Hardy no question. I'd also have him ahead of Kim (in event Kim doesn't hit at the top of the order and we get someone like Fowler to lead off). I think: Fowler, Machado, Jones, Davis, Trumbo, Wieters, Schoop, Kim, Hardy is a nice order.

agreed.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's something I found interesting:

Adam Jones (23 years old major leagues)

.277/.335/.457/792

Jonathan Schoop (23 years old major leagues)

.279/.306/.482/.788

Now Schoop's 9/79 BB/k ratio (8.76 K per BB) is a bit of a red flag for me, but Adam Jones has never been a great K/BB guy and he did put up a 7.0 K/BB rate in 2014.

In my mind, Schoop is going to be one of those streaky hitters that's going to frustrate fans at times but he's also going to hit some homers and play good solid defense at second base. I think Adam Jones' offensive career could be very close to what we can expect from Schoop.

Schoop should settle in as a .260/.308/.485 guy (give or take .020) if I had to make a guess.

.277/.335/.457/792

.279/.306/.482/.788

Now Schoop's 9/79 BB/k ratio (8.76 K per BB) is a bit of a red flag for me, but Adam Jones has never been a great K/BB guy and he did put up a 7.0 K/BB rate in 2014.

In my mind, Schoop is going to be one of those streaky hitters that's going to frustrate fans at times but he's also going to hit some homers and play good solid defense at second base. I think Adam Jones' offensive career could be very close to what we can expect from Schoop.

Schoop should settle in as a .260/.308/.485 guy (give or take .020) if I had to make a guess.

I'd be very happy with that outcome. All the projection systems are projecting a regression for Schoop this year. I hope they're wrong.

I'd mentioned in another thread that I understood Mancini better once I saw Trumbo as one of his top PECOTA comps.

Lineup-wise, I feel like what's going to happen is Schoop's going to get another 600 PA's in the bottom third, and then get "promoted" to the 5th/6th Trumbo RBI range next year. A role that is his long term destiny.

And Mancini gets promoted to the dangerous end of lineup guy learning to hit in the show for 2017.

With enough HR/RBI this year, the Trumbo qualifying offer drama might be just as rich as the Wieters one was this year.

I'd be very happy with that outcome. All the projection systems are projecting a regression for Schoop this year. I hope they're wrong.

From July 4 when be came off the DL to Sept. 13th he hit .295 .323 .507 .830. Hit a slump for a week then bounced back for a 1.000+ OPS final week. Pretty consistent IMO, don't see the reason for a decline.

I think he could hit higher in the order with success, but given our lineup, he's probably slotted for 7 or 8. I would put him ahead of Hardy no question. I'd also have him ahead of Kim (in event Kim doesn't hit at the top of the order and we get someone like Fowler to lead off). I think: Fowler, Machado, Jones, Davis, Trumbo, Wieters, Schoop, Kim, Hardy is a nice order.

That's quite a fine order :)

.277/.335/.457/792

.279/.306/.482/.788

It's interesting, though. Schoop had some respectable walk rates in the minors.

Some more fangraphs recognition:

Jonathan Schoop?s BIP authority spiked in 2015, and that isn?t going away. He?s the only AL second baseman besides Cano to hit the ball so hard with any regularity. His 142 contact score was by far the highest among his peers last season; some of that was good fortune, but not all of it. The big problem is his awful K and BB rates. He was one of only four AL regulars (along with Yan Gomes, Jake Marisnick and Eddie Rosario) to have both K and BB rates over a full standard deviation worse than league average. That?s not exactly a who?s who of long-term offensive studs. Despite this, Schoop was a better-than-average offensive performer in 2015; if he can push his K and/or BB rate into the average range, he?s a potential star, at an up-the-middle position. Plenty of risk, but tons of potential reward.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2015-positional-ball-in-play-retrospective-2b/

This is what drives me crazy about Schoop. His K and BB rates at the major league level have been astoundingly bad. He's shown tremendous power, especially by a 2nd baseman. His K and BB rates weren't nearly this bad in the minors, so I have some optimism that he can improve. If he does, even to just normal levels of bad, he's going to be an absolute force.

Schoop was called up a year too early. We all know this but his defense carried him along with the need at the position. It would have been real nice to stash him in the minors long enough to get that 7th year of team control. The best thing would be to try and workout a contract with him where we can buy out two FA years in exchange for some guaranteed money. 6yrs 30-40 million might actually be a smart move.

Swap Hardy and Kim and you're golden. You want the 9 hole to have OBP and/or speed. Hardy has neither. Kim might have the OBP. Schoop Hardy Kim, 7-8-9.

CMA IF you sign Fowler to leadoff.

As Buck might say, he'll be as good as he's capable of being.

Can't argue with that!

That speaks more to his work ethic/personality. Translation from Buckspeak, "Schoop has the drive and intensity to get EVERYTHING out of the talents he does possess."

• 1 month later...

Archived