Austin Jackson or Pedro Alvarez? ( Jackson Signs in Chicago)

mskrulz

What do O's do after getting spurned by Fowler?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. What do O's do after getting spurned by Fowler?

• Sign Alvarez
    • Sign Jackson
    • Roll with what we got

I don't support signing Jackson. I did not like the Parra acquisition. I want Jay Bruce.

I never cared for Jeremy Guthrie or Francisco Rodriguez.

I am a fan of the Orioles no matter what they do. There is a difference. People here talk like they know what goes on behind the scenes. Most times we all don't. It's easy to second guess failures or successes.

Wow. We agree, a lot. I also want Bruce and hated the Parra trade.

All quiet on Trade front, hope it works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The plan last year was Delmon young and Travis Snider. They did not work. Then Parra. He did not work. All three were acquisitions.

You must be talking about when Reimold struck out against Francoeur or when Dariel Alvarez make the number four play in all of MLB last season.

Delmon Young was never the "plan" in the outfield. He was a guy we paid a million dollars to DH and get some hits off the bench but because of the other guys sucking so bad who were the plan IE...Snider and De Aza he was thrust into action with a variety of other non-producers and AAAA guys. Let's please not use what we did last year as a barometer. Duquette had his eyes on Toronto and traded for Snider as an afterthought. We are in this position this year because of Fowler but we need to rebound because we can't go into the season with what we have in the outfield.

Delmon Young was never the "plan" in the outfield. He was a guy we paid a million dollars to DH and get some hits off the bench but because of the other guys sucking so bad who were the plan IE...Snider and De Aza he was thrust into action with a variety of other non-producers and AAAA guys. Let's please not use what we did last year as a barometer. Duquette had his eyes on Toronto and traded for Snider as an afterthought. We are in this position this year because of Fowler but we need to rebound because we can't go into the season with what we have in the outfield.

I thought that was part of the deal of resigning D. He wanted Outfield time. Yes, Duquette wanted Mark Shapiro's job. It paid five time what Duquette makes. Snider was never an afterthought. Matusz was traded for him at the winter meetings before Bastardo swooped in.

What a bad post ...I'm mean are you just making it up?

Last Two years......

Pedro Alvarez. OBP .315. 10/3 in SBs over the last two years

Jackson's 2year OBP is .309, he is 17/10 the last two years combined.

Jackson cant hold Fowlers Jock, and Alvarez can't be had for a bag of balls Scott Boras is his agent.

image.png?w=400&c=1

Jackson had 17/10 LAST YEAR and LAST YEAR ONLY! He had 20 steals in 6 attempts in 2014.

Granted he had a tough year on the basepaths from a stolen base perspective last year. But he's still 29, it's reasonable to hope that he might bounce back this year, and have a SB % closer to the 80% he posted in 2014.

If I want a COF who can't hit but can play defense I'd prefer one of Rickard, D Alvarez or Hoes.

What makes you so sure any of the three is capable of posting an OPS north of .650 this year, over the course of a full season (don't even front with Hoes' pathetic sample sizes)? Jackson's career-WORST OPS was .655.

The guy we really wanted struck out 150 times a season with very limited power. The guy youwant can't hit and is caught stealing 40 percent of the time. He is not a defensive wizard. I am just not endorsing your vision of who Austin Jackson has become. You say hitting home runs like it is a bat thing."Power in the defense of run scoring is no vice. And speed in the pursuit of base running is not necessarily a virtue."

I'm not necessarily endorsing Austin Jackson. I'm saying that if the choices are Jackson or Alvarez, I would prefer Jackson because he at least plays good defense. I didn't say he was a defensive "wizard." That's your word. I said he could play the position "quite well." He's certainly a much better outfielder than Trumbo. And I called his offense "adequate." Also, I didn't say there was anything wrong with home runs, but the Orioles already have plenty of home run hitters. I would have taken Fowler's strikeouts (which were actually a career high by about 40 due to the fact he changed his approach last year) in order to get the leadoff abilities, but I see no particular virtue in adding another 150 to 180 strikeouts just to get another boom-or-bust bat for a lineup that already has at least two of them (and which will rival the Jays for the most home runs in the majors the way it is).

Here's what Fangraphs said in their 2016 profile of Jackson:

Profile: Jackson hits the difficult 30-year-old marker this year and is coming off of two seasons that are sub-par compared to his early career work. Prior to last year, Jackson had only played centerfield in his career but then he primarily played right, with a few games at left and center, when he was with the Cubs in the second half of last season. Jackson is still currently a free agent at the time of writing this blurb but he should find a home soon and will likely be given an opportunity to start at one of the three outfield spots. Jackson is not too exciting at any particular fantasy category, but he does contribute across the board. His average usually will not kill you, his power has been passable, and steals are the area where he helps the most even if he is no Billy Hamilton on the basepaths. The across the board adequacy will make him useful in AL or NL only leagues for certain and probably valuable in mixed leagues at different points in the season. Keep a close eye on the ballpark he ends up in, the role, and what he looks like during spring training. (Ben Duronio)

Across the board adequacy. Which is basically what I said. Of the available free agent options, he's the best one left for the outfield. And if he could manage to revert to his 2013 production, he could be a bargain. By the way, for those who put stock in WAR, he was a 2.3 win player last year. That's well below his career high of 5.4 in 2012, but it's a lot higher than Pedro Alvarez's 0.2.

I thought that was part of the deal of resigning D. He wanted Outfield time. Yes, Duquette wanted Mark Shapiro's job. It paid five time what Duquette makes. Snider was never an afterthought. Matusz was traded for him at the winter meetings before Bastardo swooped in.

We signed a primary DH for a million bucks he wasn't your "plan" and if he was that plan was flawed. Snider deal happened one day after Duquette ordeal was finally solved. We may have talked about him before but after letting Cruz and Markakis go he wasn't the solution. He was what was left after Angelos and Duquette agreed to stay together.

In any regard, comparing what we did last year to what we are doing this year and the money that we have invested already isn't the same. We have made a financial decision to win now and unfortunately the Fowler decision has hurt us a bunch. I see zero chance that we proceed as we did last year and not sign Jackson or trade for an Ethier or a Bruce soon. As of now, unfortunately, we have two outfield spots that are uncertainties. I'm not judging Kim or freaking out but it's the truth. Until he proves himself he is an absolute wildcard. We can get by with one wildcard but not two. I can't see us coming into the season in this situation.

We signed a primary DH for a million bucks he wasn't your "plan" and if he was that plan was flawed. Snider deal happened one day after Duquette ordeal was finally solved. We may have talked about him before but after letting Cruz and Markakis go he wasn't the solution. He was what was left after Angelos and Duquette agreed to stay together.

In any regard, comparing what we did last year to what we are doing this year and the money that we have invested already isn't the same. We have made a financial decision to win now and unfortunately the Fowler decision has hurt us a bunch. I see zero chance that we proceed as we did last year and not sign Jackson or trade for an Ethier or a Bruce soon. As of now, unfortunately, we have two outfield spots that are uncertainties. I'm not judging Kim or freaking out but it's the truth. Until he proves himself he is an absolute wildcard. We can get by with one wildcard but not two. I can't see us coming into the season in this situation.

I hope you are right, I would love to see Bruce here.

Pedro Alvarez had 27 Homeruns in 2015.

22 of these Homeruns were hit with the bases empty.

He had a total of 491 Plate Appearances.

269 with bases empty.

222 with runners on base.

His ability to hit the long ball is not in question BUT his ability to hit the long ball with runners on base may be in question.

Chris Davis had 47 Homeruns.

24 Hit with bases empty

23 Hit with runners on base.

269 with bases empty.

His ability to hit the long ball is not in question BUT his ability to hit the long ball with runners on base may be in question.

24 Hit with bases empty

No. That is an indictment of his team's offense. Not him. A statistical anomaly.

Snider was traded for at the winter meetings. The deal fell apart. He was a target all off-season. Whether it was a good target or not. Dan overpaid for him.

269 with bases empty.

24 Hit with bases empty

Someone should sticky this. This coupled with no position, pass.

Archived