Just go trade for Jay Bruce or Markakis

oriolesacox

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alvarez didn't impress me albeit in a SSS.

I want Pearce back as insurance across the board. I am a Nick fan but wouldnt give up much at all. I am worried about out OF depth. I think we need to add a dependable defender. Venable makes some sense since he can play CF.

Markakis has an established level of 1.5 wins. Assume half a win a year decline, so it's reasonable to assume that the rest of his career will be worth three wins, or a little over $21M.

Maybe today is 30% overpayment day, and it's fine to take on a 3/33 deal for three wins, plus whatever prospect(s) the Braves want.

But I still fail to see the utility in paying market rates for 1-ish win players. As I mentioned in the other nearly identical thread Dariel Alvarez has a better 2016 Steamer forecast.

Bringing back Markakis may lower the asking price for Teheran. That would be a nice fit, a young controllable pitcher that is coming off a down season, but eats innings and is signed to a team friendly contract. I hear he is available all day on the radio. I know cheap controllable pitchers are what teams like the Braves want too, but they have gotten so much pitching back during their rebuild. So maybe

Do we really want an aging Markakis at 11 mil a year over the next three back?

We need to stop living in the past. This is a hard no for me.

Would I have traded the Markakis and Hardy contracts? Absolutely. But hindsight is a *****.

Please do not trade Mancini, certainly not for Markakis. He is the most promising hitter in the organization. He can DH or perhaps be converted to OF. If he is to be traded, keep letting him build his value. Too much potential to sell now. If we pay his contract, we should not need to offer more than a package of C prospects.

Do we really want an aging Markakis at 11 mil a year over the next three back?

We need to stop living in the past. This is a hard no for me.

Would I have traded the Markakis and Hardy contracts? Absolutely. But hindsight is a *****.

Forget the past. It means nothing. Look at the next 3 years, a guy who is going to get on base at a .360 clip, play good RF (for a team that desperately needs it) and lead off for a lineup (that desperately needs it)

Is that worth 3/33 in today's market, considering the team situation, past not withstanding? You would have to convince me it isn't.

Forget the past. It means nothing. Look at the next 3 years, a guy who is going to get on base at a .360 clip, play good RF (for a team that desperately needs it) and lead off for a lineup (that desperately needs it)

Is that worth 3/33 in today's market, considering the team situation, past not withstanding? You would have to convince me it isn't.

Markakis has failed to get on base at a .360 clip in three of the last five years and now he's 32. His career mark is .359. His Steamer projection is for a .340.

And his defensive metrics are poor. Many blamed that on some weird OPACY UZR bias, but he had worse marks with the Braves than he did with the '14 Orioles.

Nick is a .700 OPS RFer with -10 defense. That's Dariel Alvarez. Or Travis Snider. Or Mark Trumbo, if you knock off a bit of defense and add some offense and just play him every day in RF.

Archived