Rickard?

WarehouseChatter

Thanks for doing the research. Very similar minor league slashes. Rickard is a year younger - how often do 24 year olds improve their ISO as they mature into their prime years?

Willits had a .400 OBP over his first 500 or so ABs in the majors and an OPS+ of ~90. I presume we'd be thrilled with that at the top of the lineup (or from a #9 hitter) given the makeup of the rest of the lineup.

Of course Willits' performance tanked after his first two seasons, so that's not a good sign.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His minor league numbers are very similar to Reggie Willits.

Rickard- .283/.390/.387

Willits- .293/.391/.378

Rickard posted a line of .321/.427/.447 in AAA last year at age 24. Willits had a line of .327/.448/.426 in AAA Salt Lake at age 25. Willits on-base capabilities was actually still very good in the majors. He had a career walk rate of 12.7%. He just had zero power with a career ISO of .044. Rickard will probably end up being a similar player. He's going to have to hit at least .290, .300 to provide any value as an offensive player because I doubt he'll hit for much power in the majors.

That's one potential outcome. Is Willits MLB performance typical for someone with that kind of minor league performance at those ages? Is Rickard's 2nd half performance last year more indicative of his talent than his prior minor league record? As of May last year his career MiLB BA was about .260.

Rickard's Steamer forecast is .256/.324/.350. That's like recent versions of Nate McLouth or Ben Revere or Alberto Callaspo. Sam Fuld. Robbie Grossman. Jemile Weeks. Jarrod Dyson.

That's one potential outcome. Is Willits MLB performance typical for someone with that kind of minor league performance at those ages? Is Rickard's 2nd half performance last year more indicative of his talent than his prior minor league record? As of May last year his career MiLB BA was about .260.

Rickard's Steamer forecast is .256/.324/.350. That's like recent versions of Nate McLouth or Ben Revere or Alberto Callaspo. Sam Fuld. Robbie Grossman. Jemile Weeks. Jarrod Dyson.

That Steamer forecast is not awful for a 4th/5th OF on most teams if his defense is good.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Maybe this opens up a spot on the bench for Rickard to make the team in that last bench role.

Platoon Trumbo with Reimold, and use Wieters in the DH, when Trumbo is playing the field, and see how Kim does in May.

Maybe Rickard plays well and gets some playing time at the COF?

I think we'll see how Rickard and Kim do this ST, and see what Trumbo can do in RF as well. Now is the time to see what we have without it costing us big time like it would in the regular season

Sent from Neverneverland using James Hetfield's voice

That Steamer forecast is not awful for a 4th/5th OF on most teams if his defense is good.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

That's what I thought we'd get out of Lough, just substituting some singles for Rickard's walks. If he has anything like Lough's glove he'll be on the team a number of years with that kind of hitting.

His minor league numbers are very similar to Reggie Willits.

Rickard- .283/.390/.387

Willits- .293/.391/.378

Rickard posted a line of .321/.427/.447 in AAA last year at age 24. Willits had a line of .327/.448/.426 in AAA Salt Lake at age 25. Willits on-base capabilities was actually still very good in the majors. He had a career walk rate of 12.7%. He just had zero power with a career ISO of .044. Rickard will probably end up being a similar player. He's going to have to hit at least .290, .300 to provide any value as an offensive player because I doubt he'll hit for much power in the majors.

Good comp. I would be very happy to have Reggie Willets in RF as long as Kim and Trumbo are producing in LF and DH.

Good comp. I would be very happy to have Reggie Willets in RF as long as Kim and Trumbo are producing in LF and DH.

He OPS'd .563 the final five years of his career. He then retired at age 30. NO! For his entire career he had .1 WAR. That included the GOOD years. And you guys did not like David Lough and Travis Snider?

He OPS'd .563 the final five years of his career. He then retired at age 30. NO! For his entire career he had .1 WAR. That included the GOOD years. And you guys did not like David Lough and Travis Snider?

I was looking at his overall career numbers. He had one good year with the .391 OBP and .735 OPS, but then again he had more ABs that year than the rest of his career combined. Overall .356 OBP for his career, albeit no power. I would be happy with that number combined with good defense. That's basically what we were getting from Markakis 2013-14. Willits' last four years were undeniably terrible but he only had 370 ABs so it is tough to evaluate.

I liked Lough. If Rickard can play defense like Lough I would be fine with him hitting like Willits. That would be a nice platoon/reserve role player, in my opinion.

Joey Rickard and Noland Reimold have had about the same track going through the Minors.

Both were at AAA at age 24/25

Reimold 1771 PA 1510 AB 0.286 BA 0.383 OBP 0.521 SLG 0.904 OPS

Rickard 1499 PA 1237 AB 0.283 BA 0.390 OBP 0.397 SLG 0.787 OPS

Nolan has more power which drives his OPS higher. His first year (Nolan) translated rather well so may Joey's.

Joey Rickard and Noland Reimold have had about the same track going through the Minors.

Both were at AAA at age 24/25

Reimold 1771PA1510AB0.286BA0.383OBP0.521SLG0.904OPS

Rickard 1499PA1237AB0.283BA0.390OBP0.397SLG0.787OPS

Nolan has more power which drives his OPS higher. His first year (Nolan) translated rather well so may Joey's.

Hopefully Joey doesn't get hurt like Nolan.

Sent from Neverneverland using James Hetfield's voice

Archived