Chris Tillman

weams

So Jonesy played and he looked just fine.

Back to Tillman. Any starts he can give us are crucial. Even just two starts, provided Tillman is pitching right, can make the difference.

While I agree, it's worth pointing out that so far, Tillman's absence has probably cost us nothing. Ubaldo has pitched two good games in his spot -- 7 IP 1 R (O's shut out by Scherzer) and 6.2 IP 3 ER (O's beat Jays 5-3).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
o

(AUGUST 29th)

Chris Tillman said that his shoulder felt really good after throwing on flat ground.

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/770340632044994560

o

18 OUTS: 5 Groundouts, 4 Strikeouts, 4 Flyouts, 2 Foulouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Popout

CHRISTOPHER STEVEN TILLMAN oo (vs. TIGERS, 9/11)

IP:l 6

H:;; 4 ll(2 Doubles, 2 Singles)

R:l) 1

BB:)1

SO:)4

Pitches: 105 (65 Strikes, 40 Balls)

2016 ERA: 3.68

PITCHES BY INNING

20 (14 Strikes, 61 Balls)

17 (10 Strikes, 71 Balls)

15 (91 Strikes, 61 Balls)

21 (11 Strikes, 10 Balls)

17 (12 Strikes, 51 Balls)

o

18 OUTS: 5 Groundouts, 4 Strikeouts, 4 Flyouts, 2 Foulouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Popout

CHRISTOPHER STEVEN TILLMAN oo (vs. TIGERS, 9/11)

IP:l 6

H:;; 4 ll(2 Doubles, 2 Singles)

R:l) 1

BB:)1

SO:)4

Pitches: 105 (65 Strikes, 40 Balls)

2016 ERA: 3.68

PITCHES BY INNING

20 (14 Strikes, 61 Balls)

21 (11 Strikes, 10 Balls)

17 (12 Strikes, 51 Balls)

o

Tillman pitched for the first time since August 20 after dealing with right shoulder bursitis. He said that he feels fine, and wants to make sure that holds true tomorrow, as well. He out-dueled Justin Verlander, and is 6-0 with an ERA of 2.45 in nine career starts against the Tigers.

He was excited to return in the heat of the pennant race.

"It was awesome," he said. "There's nothing like it. You get kind of bored and frustrated sitting on the bench that long and not being able to help the team. It was a big series, a big win, and it's good to get out of here with the series win. It was definitely a little bit of rust there, but I felt like we were able to work through it and make pitches when we had to."

Is he conceivable that his shoulder issues are behind him now?

"I"ll just see how I feel," Tillman said. "When this first kind of cropped up, I pitched in Oakland and felt fine, then the next day it wasn't all that hot. I'll just see how I feel. Signs are pointing good, but we'll see. We'll see how it goes."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2016/09/givens-on-facing-cabrera-tillman-on-his-return-bourn-on-his-homer-and-more-clubhouse-quotes.html

I know many don't regard Tilly as an Ace.

But, when he can dial it up and out-dueled Justin Verlander, this is what Aces do.

As the old say goes. He may not be the true definition of an ace, but he's our ace.

He's essentially the Joe Flacco for the Orioles. Not elite, but certainly plenty good enough.

o

17 OUTS: 6 Strikeouts, 4 Flyouts, 3 Lineouts, 2 Groundouts, 1 Foulout, 1 Popout

CHRISTOPHER STEVEN TILLMAN oo (vs. D-RAYS, 9/17)

IP:l 5.67

H:;; 4 ll(1 Home Run, 1 Triple, 1 Double, 1 Single)

R:l) 3

BB:)1 *

SO:)6

Pitches: 112 (68 Strikes, 44 Balls)

2016 ERA: 3.72

* Tillman also had 2 Hit Batsmen

PITCHES BY INNING

22 (13 Strikes, 91 Balls)

81 (71 Strikes, 11 Balls)

25 (16 Strikes, 91 Balls)

14 (71 Strikes, 71 Balls)

26 (15 Strikes, 11 Balls) **

** Tillman recorded 2 outs before departing in the 6th inning.

Tough night for Tillman. Wasn't helped on the first run. Bourn shouldn't have dived for the ball, turned a double into a triple. Davis should have gotten an out at first instead of going to the plate and Tillman had to throw quite a few extra pitches in the inning. Helooked like he had no clue in the sixth, up and zone, threw 2 HR pitches to Longoria. BS should have rescued him, but stuck with him too long when he was struggling.

Tough night for Tillman. Wasn't helped on the first run. Bourn shouldn't have dived for the ball, turned a double into a triple. Davis should have gotten an out at first instead of going to the plate and Tillman had to throw quite a few extra pitches in the inning. Helooked like he had no clue in the sixth, up and zone, threw 2 HR pitches to Longoria. BS should have rescued him, but stuck with him too long when he was struggling.

Above all this. Longo crushed one foul, hits a homer on the next pitch. Pretty clear signs of danger. Tommy gets up. Miller singles. Tommy should be in the game at that point. OK, lefty coming up, maybe you extend Tillman one more batter. He gets Dickerson. Phew. Could have taken him out then. OK, extend him one more batter. Souza smashes it to Manny for the out. That is four hard hit balls iin four ABs. Two RH batters coming up. How do you not take him out at that point?

Above all this. Longo crushed one foul, hits a homer on the next pitch. Pretty clear signs of danger. Tommy gets up. Miller singles. Tommy should be in the game at that point. OK, lefty coming up, maybe you extend Tillman one more batter. He gets Dickerson. Phew. Could have taken him out then. OK, extend him one more batter. Souza smashes it to Manny for the out. That is four hard hit balls iin four ABs. Two RH batters coming up. How do you not take him out at that point?

I agree. These are must win games and you have a pitcher still fresh off injury that, despite how good he has been all year, was clearly out of gas. Go to the pen. Tough one to let slip...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because he has been a big time pitcher for 5 years.

If the pitch before was called a strike he gets out of it.

I can understand pulling him but also understand keeping him in.

Also this is where no O'Day hurts so much.

If he comes out of game with 2 outs he can still get the win.

You love to blame Wieters for everything.

Buck loves to do 2 things with his starters: get the win and not be saddled with the loss...if at all possible. And extend them as long as possible.

As for blaming Wieters? I don't put the loss on his shoulders. But that wild pitch has to be blocked. And his pitch framing cost this team the lead...that inning.

The blame is on the offense. Regardless of Tillman being taken out responsibly or not...it was either going to be a 3-2 game or a 2-2 game. So they needed to score at least once more.

But they were completely dominated. Only *1* extra base hit.

No matter how you slice it, the O's don't win many games only scoring 2 runs.

That first game against the Rays looms large with Miley on the mound tomorrow. If the O's have *any* hope at the division, they have to win tomorrow. Keep it around 3 back (ideally 2 if the Red Sox lose).

Archived