The last Oriole SP to throw 200 IP that was drafted by the Orioles

Dark Helmet

o

And speaking of the 4 "AA Boys," Brad Bergesen was well on his way to pitching more than 200 innings in 2009 when a line drive back to the mound broke his shin, ending his season.

Bergesen was on fire for 2 months up until that time, pitching to the tune of a 2.46 ERA and a 1.131 WHIP in 12 starts. In addition to surpassing 200 innings, he likely would have been in the running for the A.L. Rookie of the Year Award.

After that, Bergesen had a few bright moments over the next couple of years, such as pitching a complete-game shutout 2 years later in 2011, but I believe that he never really recovered from that broken leg in 2009 ...... probably for more than one reason.

Strangely enough, I was at the two most important games that Brad Bergesen ever pitched in his career, including the game in which his leg was broken.

The first game was his big breakthrough game, which also happened to be Matt Wieters' first game ever in late May of 2009.

Bergesen had a great game, pitching into the 9th inning while giving up up only 2 runs. When Dave Trembley took him out in the 9th inning, the loudspeakers at O.P.AC.Y. played "The Kid is Hot Tonight" by Loverboy.

In the game in which his shin was broken two months later, Bergesen was again pitching a gem when a line drive caromed off of Bergesen's leg with 2 outs in the 7th inning. Matt Wieters picked up the ball, and threw out the runner at 1st base to end the inning. Bergesen then proceeded to hop on one leg all the way from the pitcher's mound to the Oriole dugout, before collapsing at the top step. We all gave him a standing ovation.

I was fortunate enough to have met Bergesen also, when I was allowed onto the field at OPACY for batting practice in a game against the Indians in 2011.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rays?

Regardless, I made a long (long) post a year or two ago showing that the O's were near the bottom of MLB in terms of developing pitchers, but I based it on WAR. I also accounted for all pitchers, not just ones that stayed with their original orgs.

As waroriole said...this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. The O's have been bad at developing pitchers for quite some time.

Rays were the very worst team. For a decade. Before it was DC.

By my quick count, of the 28 pitchers who threw 200 innings last year, only 12 did it with the team that drafted them. I certainly do think that in a 16-year window, we should have been able to draft and develop a couple of pitchers who were able to reach the 200 IP threshold for the Orioles. But it really doesn't happen that often.

Didn't Jeffrey Hammonds hit Davis in the head with a foul line drive into the dugout shortly before he was released?

Don't recall who hit it, but Davis was actually hit by a batting practice ball while in the TUNNEL to the clubhouse. That's down a flight of stairs from the field. This on top of the original neck nerve injury that baffled team doctors for 2 years, and the broken jaw sustained in a bar fight (depsite that as a born-again Christian Davis did not drink or even swear). Not sure there's been a run of more bizarre injuries in the history of MLB.

He should qualify. If Schilling qualifies for Boston.

Schilling is flimsy because he was only in the Sox org for two years after being drafted (drafted in '86, traded in '88). He didn't pitched 200 for the Sox until 2004. It would be like if Tillman signed with the Mariners as a 37 year old and pitched 200 for them; he would qualify for Seattle.

Either way Arrieta never pitched 200 for the O's, and that's the difference. But who knows, maybe we'll get 37 year old Arrieta someday.

Daniel Cabrera did it in 2007. He wasn't drafted, but signed as an international amateur.

Also, what's your point? Yeah , we've had trouble developing SP. This is nothing groundbreaking.

When I read this, I couldn't believe it...we actually had to sit through 200+ innings of Daniel Cabrera? Yes, yes we did. And watch him walk 108 batters, 108! Man I don't miss those abysmal years.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cabreda01.shtml

14 player pitched 200 or more innings year. 8 had winning records. I'm not that interested in 200 innings as much as innings per start.

Tillman started 31 games last year. But averaged 5.58 innings a start. That's terrible. I'd rather see a pitcher intentionally miss a turn in the rotation every month and go more than 7 inning per start.

Ubaldo made 32 starts and average 5.75 innings per start, again, that's bad.

When your most reliable starters can't be relied upon to pitch 7 innings, or even past 6, you have a problem.

14 player pitched 200 or more innings year. 8 had winning records. I'm not that interested in 200 innings as much as innings per start.

Tillman started 31 games last year. But averaged 5.58 innings a start. That's terrible. I'd rather see a pitcher intentionally miss a turn in the rotation every month and go more than 7 inning per start.

Ubaldo made 32 starts and average 5.75 innings per start, again, that's bad.

When your most reliable starters can't be relied upon to pitch 7 innings, or even past 6, you have a problem.

There are maybe five pitchers in baseball who average 7 innings per start.

Archived