Jack Cust, back to the bigs!

markdublya

I think I might change my opinion on Jack Cust. He may actually have a chance at some staying power.

I was listening to ESPN Radio about Cust and for the first time heard about him suffering from carpal tunnel problems in *both* wrists. He had surgery before the 2006 season which goes a long way towards explaining a resurgence in power. With the carpal tunnel injury Cust was powerless and not a very useful piece to a major league team. With the injury "fixed" and his power back he could be a useful piece. This makes a lot more sense about the lack of power Cust showed in the O's organization than the bogus excuses I've seen made for him like it's cold in Ottawa or we screwed up his approach etc...

Makes one wonder why the Orioles failed to diagnose the problem and get it fixed. This is one situation where the O's medical personnel should be the one's being second guessed instead of the front office.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The cost wasn't exactly steep -- a modest sum of cash -- because Cust had a clause in his contract allowing him to leave if another team offered him a chance to play in the majors. A deal was struck the next day.

"He does what we like hitters to do," Beane said.

The Orioles would have liked Cust a lot more if he had been more aggressive. His patience allowed him to work deep into counts, but he often fell behind in them and would strike out. The bat needed to leave his shoulder more, something the Orioles kept stressing until they finally gave up on him.

So, we could have had Cust back at no cost. Also, I like how the Orioles claim they like patient hitters but then kick them to the curb when they take to many walks :rolleyes::rolleyes:

link

So, we could have had Cust back at no cost. Also, I like how the Orioles claim they like patient hitters but then kick them to the curb when they take to many walks :rolleyes::rolleyes:

link

I think it all goes back to health. He supposedly was a power hitter when he was acquired but he put up a couple of powerless years in Ottawa. I believe that because they failed to diagnose the wrist problems they wrongly blamed an extremly patient approach on the lack of power production. If he was hitting 30 HR a year at Ottawa I suspect noone would have been questioning his approach.

I think it all goes back to health. He supposedly was a power hitter when he was acquired but he put up a couple of powerless years in Ottawa. I believe that because they failed to diagnose the wrist problems they wrongly blamed an extremly patient approach on the lack of power production. If he was hitting 30 HR a year at Ottawa I suspect noone would have been questioning his approach.

It does go to show you that it seems as if the Orioles do not value the walk as much as they should.

I would bet the Orioles would prefer a 300 hitter with a 340 OBP than a 260 hitter with a 380 OBP.

It does go to show you that it seems as if the Orioles do not value the walk as much as they should.

I would bet the Orioles would prefer a 300 hitter with a 340 OBP than a 260 hitter with a 380 OBP.

You could be right, but when it comes to Cust, rightly or wrongly I think they'd of preferred the extra .100 on his SLG pct over that extra .040 on his OBP. I believe that they were reaching to come up for reasons for the pathetic .425ish SLG percentages and because they failed to recognize the wrist problem they blamed approach as the reason for the power outage.

I can't wait for the Oakland series. I predict he hits game winning homeruns against us on 3 consecutive nights, but falls on the basepath during his trots and never scores the winning runs. We literally split the series with three tie games.

Why care about hitting 30 at Ottawa when he could hit 30 this year in Oakland? :rolleyes:;)

Hit his 8th last night....unreal. It'll be interesting to see how he adjusts once the league figures him out...

Archived