This Start for Miggy?

Bahama O's Fan

I'm fine with starting him out in the rotation just because we don't have many other better options. Hopefully his velocity picks up.

The organization needs to have a quick hook though. If he is getting hit hard after three or four starts they need to bring the next warm body up. It could be a situation where Wright or Wilson get the fifth starter spot out of Spring Training and Gausman replaces Miguel in the middle of the month after a couple bad starts.

Sounds good. But traditionally this yr has not had a quick hook with guys struggling in April. Usually gets well into May before the plug gets pulled, after people on the Hangout have been pulling their hair out for several weeks at least.

The one exception was stripping Hunter of the closer role and giving it to Britton. That happened in April.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I really think we're looking at Bud Norris redux here. He makes the team by default (thanks to Gausman starting on the DL), gets creamed for a few starts, and is dismissed at the Orioles' earliest convenience. Meanwhile the team loses a few games they could have won.

The difference is, Gonzo has an option. It's easier to take him off the 25-man roster if he's doing poorly.

Sounds good. But traditionally this yr has not had a quick hook with guys struggling in April. Usually gets well into May before the plug gets pulled, after people on the Hangout have been pulling their hair out for several weeks at least.

The one exception was stripping Hunter of the closer role and giving it to Britton. That happened in April.

No it didn't. Hunter was the closer through May 13, when he blew his second straight save and third of the season.

No it didn't. Hunter was the closer through May 13, when he blew his second straight save and third of the season.

Wow, I misremembered.

So we pretty much never pull the trigger on significant moves based on April performance. Garrett Atkins, Bud Norris, etc, etc... All lasted into May.

Wow, I misremembered.

So we pretty much never pull the trigger on significant moves based on April performance. Garrett Atkins, Bud Norris, etc, etc... All lasted into May.

I think Miguel is a unique situation.

He has the option, he's been getting shelled in ST, and his fastball is down 4-5 MPH. I don't see Buck sticking with him if looks bad through his first several starts in April and we have better options in the minors.

It's too bad he didn't get bombed in this game and give the Orioles an excuse to send him out. Instead we're likely going to have to suffer through 3-5 awful major league starts before he gets the boot. He looks absolutely horrible out there. 86-87 mph fastballs are not gonna get it done vs. major league hitters.

I'd rather have Wright, Wilson, or Worley in the rotation. And they're all pretty bad. Basically I'd take anybody whose last name starts with a W instead of Gonzalez.

I really think we're looking at Bud Norris redux here. He makes the team by default (thanks to Gausman starting on the DL), gets creamed for a few starts, and is dismissed at the Orioles' earliest convenience. Meanwhile the team loses a few games they could have won.

Nail meet hammer. ;)

Archived