Quietly, BRob is putting up impressive numbers

Frobby

Apropos of BRob, but as an aside, I am still struck by his telling comment the other day that this team has not had a slugger in some 10 years. Oh MIke, Jim, Peter....read it and weep. You really have to work hard not to come up with a legitimate slugger in 10 years.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apropos of BRob, but as an aside, I am still struck by his telling comment the other day that this team has not had a slugger in some 10 years. Oh MIke, Jim, Peter....read it and weep. You really have to work hard not to come up with a legitimate slugger in 10 years.

Albert Belle. And Miggy did have 34 HR and 150 RBI for this team in 2004.

Albert Belle. And Miggy did have 34 HR and 150 RBI for this team in 2004.

OK, your honor, can I rephrase?

A sustained, consistent slugger who stays clear of injuries, odd vitamins, etc., etc.

;)

Did we not see Markakis do almost exactly that and proceed to hit a grand slam?

Markakis is struggling right now, but I fully expect him to be the best hitter on the team by year's end, even if we keep Tejada.

Even as it is, he's one of our better hitters. By that I mean, he has good at-bats regularly. Only Roberts and Millar have better.

I don't think Huff, Gibbons, and Mora have combined for 5 good at-bats.

I don't think it's automatic that we'd only be potentially able to compete in the short-term though. 4/5ths of our rotation would be home-grown & cheap & while it would require a great deal of comptency by our front office, it's easier to upgrade an offense than pitching through trades / free-agency. And also as each year goes by after next year, we could (and I stress could) be able to trade either our developing young arms like Erbe / Beato / Liz / etc. (or the older guys they might replace like Bedard) to help replace / upgrade our offense. What are the chances our front offices would be able to effectively do it? Well, I'm not betting my house on it, but it's possible. And... if we're doubting our front offices ability to do what I said, why should we trust them to blow the team up?

By blow the team up I meant the FO and coaching staff as well (minus Mazzone). In fact that may be more important than the players themselves.

Even as it is, he's one of our better hitters. By that I mean, he has good at-bats regularly. Only Roberts and Millar have better.
Mora has had lots of good at abts this year, and is doing a good job of drawing walks.

Nick has actually had some awful at bats over the past two weeks. He's looked completely lost at the plate.

I don't think Huff, Gibbons, and Mora have combined for 5 good at-bats.

I'm not sure why you would lump Mora in that group. His 4.22 P/PA is 3rd on the team (very close to Millar and Roberts) and his BB/PA also is 3rd on the team.

I'm not sure why you would lump Mora in that group. His 4.22 P/PA is 3rd on the team (very close to Millar and Roberts) and his BB/PA also is 3rd on the team.

I guess he hasn't been as bad as I thought. My impression is that he's been behind in the count a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

After tonight's 4 for 5 performance, BRob is up to .294/.385/.405. He's hitting .369/.453/.477 in May. And while he is always pretty patient, over the last week or so I have noticed that in the first AB of the game he ALWAYS seems to be able to see at least 6 pitches. He is doing a tremendous job in the leadoff spot. Its surprising the offense has struggled lately with Brian doing so well; usually when he is hot the offense thrives.

Its surprising the offense has struggled lately with Brian doing so well; usually when he is hot the offense thrives.

Well, that's what happens when your third place hitter is hitting like my 5 year old. I think Tejada hit one or two balls hard in this whole series.

Archived