Quietly, BRob is putting up impressive numbers

Frobby

Brian's overall line of .279/.371/.402 doesn't look that impressive at first blush, but look behind it.

He's scored 21 runs, on pace for 106 runs scored, which would be his second highest total. He's stolen 12 bases, on pace for 61 steals, which easily would be his highest (and he has only been caught once, on a bad call). His RC/27 is 6.38, 23rd in the AL and right behind Miguel Tejada. He isn't hitting HR's like in 2005, but he is on pace for 40 doubles and 10 triples.

Then consider that he got off to a very slow, 5 for 36 start. Since then, he's hitting .337/.412/.477.

Overall, Brian has a great shot at having his 2nd best year this year. And if the rest of the team ever starts hitting, he might score a lot more than 106 runs.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brian's overall line of .279/.371/.402 doesn't look that impressive at first blush, but look behind it.

He's scored 21 runs, on pace for 106 runs scored, which would be his second highest total. He's stolen 12 bases, on pace for 61 steals, which easily would be his highest (and he has only been caught once, on a bad call). His RC/27 is 6.38, 23rd in the AL and right behind Miguel Tejada. He isn't hitting HR's like in 2005, but he is on pace for 40 doubles and 10 triples.

Then consider that he got off to a very slow, 5 for 36 start. Since then, he's hitting .337/.412/.477.

Overall, Brian has a great shot at having his 2nd best year this year. And if the rest of the team ever starts hitting, he might score a lot more than 106 runs.

He is

He leads the AL in SBs.

Brian is doin' it. Its good to see.

He's AMAZING :P

Yep but unlike Tejada i don't feel the need to trade Roberts.

I totally agree :D Is Tejada not playing well because he dosen't want to be here anymore? Or is he just playing that bad? And what about Mora?

Yep but unlike Tejada i don't feel the need to trade Roberts.

If we are going to rebuild, we need to look at anyone who will bring a good return. BRob is signed to a very reasonable contract and if he continues to produce as he has lately he would bring a lot in a trade. I am not in that mode right now, but I certainly wouldn't consider him off-limits when the time comes.

I totally agree :D Is Tejada not playing well because he dosen't want to be here anymore? Or is he just playing that bad? And what about Mora?

Neither Tejada nor Mora is playing that poorly. Yes, Tejada is showing less power and he has made some egregious mistakes in the field. But if you really want to point fingers for the disappointing start, you have to look at Markakis, Huff, Gibbons and Patterson. Those are the guys putting up a sub-.700 OPS.

If we are going to rebuild, we need to look at anyone who will bring a good return. BRob is signed to a very reasonable contract and if he continues to produce as he has lately he would bring a lot in a trade. I am not in that mode right now, but I certainly wouldn't consider him off-limits when the time comes.

Exactly. Who you should trade depends on what deals you are able to put on the table. It makes no sense to say 'we should trade this guy' without knowing what you're going to get in return unless the guy is a clubhouse cancer (or huge waste of salary and roster space) and you need him out pronto. Now obviously Tejada is a lot closer to being in that category than Roberts is, but if you get a great offer for Roberts and not for Tejada than you have to trade the guy you can get value for. The status quo is not working. It's sad and in another era Brian Roberts might have been the type of player you keep in your organization for his entire career at all costs, but in this day and age no way is he off limits. Besides, in October I wouldn't mind seeing him playing 2B and batting second for the Mets.;)

What exactly do you need to have happen to be in that mode?

Archived