Quietly, BRob is putting up impressive numbers

Frobby

I totally agree :D Is Tejada not playing well because he dosen't want to be here anymore? Or is he just playing that bad? And what about Mora?

Mora isn't playing that badly, he's just had a couple of really obvious gaffes and not handled the media questions about them very well. Tejada has always been spacey in the field and on the basepaths and he gets worse when the team is losing. Losing brings out the worst in everyone. Even Brian has his moments.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What exactly do you need to have happen to be in that mode?

I think I have made myself clear in a number of threads. I plan to wait until June 30 and see where the team is then. If the team is even further below .500 then than it is now, I will probably be ready to pull the trigger.

I think I have made myself clear in a number of threads. I plan to wait until June 30 and see where the team is then. If the team is even further below .500 then than it is now, I will probably be ready to pull the trigger.

I guess i don't get this thinking....So, if on June 30, this team is showing signs of life that it can win 83 games, you keep it as is?

I guess i don't get this thinking....So, if on June 30, this team is showing signs of life that it can win 83 games, you keep it as is?

Yes, probably. That would be enough progress for me to feel we were 1-2 pieces away from contention for 2008, especially if the team is doing that without Loewen.

Yes, probably. That would be enough progress for me to feel we were 1-2 pieces away from contention for 2008, especially if the team is doing that without Loewen.

What 1-2 pieces would we need in yoru mind?

And, are those pieces enough to make up 10-15 games?

What 1-2 pieces would we need in yoru mind?

And, are those pieces enough to make up 10-15 games?

You have to see where we are at that time. I would think a power hitting 1B with some glove and a DH type that can mash.

With Loewen out that counts as a piece right there, IMO.

You have to see where we are at that time. I would think a power hitting 1B with some glove and a DH type that can mash.

AgentOrange hit the nail on the head, I need to see more about where we are. Certainly one item would be a MAJOR bat. That was true in 2004, even after we signed Tejada. It was true in 2005. It was true in 2006. And it's true now.

What do you do with Huff if you bring in a new DH? I would say Andruw Jones, a solid 1B and a fiery manager (I know, that's three and highly unlikely). Honestly I don't think there are any small changes that could make the team a winner. A big trade involving Tejada might be enough, but I think if you keep all the significant current parts, they just don't work well together. If you keep Tejada, you should be looking to trade most of the good complimentary players.

AgentOrange hit the nail on the head, I need to see more about where we are. Certainly one item would be a MAJOR bat. That was true in 2004, even after we signed Tejada. It was true in 2005. It was true in 2006. And it's true now.

Don't forget Javy Lopez did have himself pretty well disguised as a major bat with his walk year performance (and even what he'd done before that). At least in 2004/2005 you could see the strategy (bring in lots of old fading sluggers and hope they still have some gas in the tank). Now there's really no direction at all other than whatever's available on the cheap.

Don't forget Javy Lopez did have himself pretty well disguised as a major bat with his walk year performance (and even what he'd done before that).

I never thought Javy was going to have another season like 2003, and I doubt the Orioles' organization did either. We were pursuing Guerrero and that is the kind of major bat I am talking about. But the one who still galls me is Carlos Delgado, because I'm convinced we could have had him if we had been willing to pony up. (He is off to a very bad start this year.)

What do you do with Huff if you bring in a new DH? I would say Andruw Jones, a solid 1B and a fiery manager (I know, that's three and highly unlikely). Honestly I don't think there are any small changes that could make the team a winner. A big trade involving Tejada might be enough, but I think if you keep all the significant current parts, they just don't work well together. If you keep Tejada, you should be looking to trade most of the good complimentary players.

Huff can play LF.

If we add 2 power bats, we can deal with the Defense from him.

I personally think people are dreaming if they think we are only 1-2 players away from contention.

We're 25 players away from contention. And a few non-roster personnel.

Huff can play LF.

If we add 2 power bats, we can deal with the Defense from him.

Huff is atrocious in LF. A left side of him, Mora and Tejada would be an absolute disaster. I know many on here think defense is overrated, but that to me would make the team virtually unwatchable... especially if Patterson leaves and instead of being replaced with a bona fide CF we have Payton starting in center. We would have to pray for every ball to be hit to Roberts or Markakis because nobody else would catch it.

Archived