Some impressions of Mark Trumbo

Frobby

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

After the home run, Trumbo singled up the middle and scored on Wieters' double to give the Orioles the lead again.

Trumbo and Wieters have done well tonight, hitting back-to-back with each other.

I don't have any deep statistical analysis to back me up. But I am truly impressed with Mark Trumbo. I hope that the O's FO doesn't make the same mistake that they did with Cruz. They need to bring Trumbo back after this season.

I don't have any deep statistical analysis to back me up. But I am truly impressed with Mark Trumbo. I hope that the O's FO doesn't make the same mistake that they did with Cruz. They need to bring Trumbo back after this season.

What mistake? Saying declining to sign a 35-year-old coming off a career year to a long, expensive contract was a mistake is like saying that driving a dump truck at 100 mph through a playground is a good thing to do if you manage to not hit anyone. They're both very low probability events that happened to work out once.

Unless, of course, you know of a simple supplement that gives truck drivers supernatural abilities.

What mistake? Saying declining to sign a 35-year-old coming off a career year to a long, expensive contract was a mistake is like saying that driving a dump truck at 100 mph through a playground is a good thing to do if you manage to not hit anyone. They're both very low probability events that happened to work out once.

Unless, of course, you know of a simple supplement that gives truck drivers supernatural abilities.

4/57m is a "long, expensive contract"? Right.

Oh yeah and he is "declining" alright.

He is going to "decline" to the tune of about 10-12 wins over his first 2 years at this rate.

Clearly the right call to let him walk, not even a question. What mistake?

4/57m is a "long, expensive contract"? Right.

Oh yeah and he is "declining" alright.

He is going to "decline" to the tune of about 10-12 wins over his first 2 years at this rate.

Clearly the right call to let him walk, not even a question. What mistake?

I would have questioned Duquette's sanity if he'd beaten the Mariners' offer.

Judge process, not results. If I drive drunk, crash my car and find a million dollars hidden in the tree I hit, that doesn't make it a good idea.

Bad analogy. Gms are paid millions to make judgements on individuals, not categories of individuals

Bad analogy. Gms are paid millions to make judgements on individuals, not categories of individuals

Only to a degree. Cruz has beaten the odds big-time so far, but the odds were sufficiently against him that the O's really would have been out on a limb to have matched Seattle's offer.

And the idea that picking the outliers on the aging curve is a skill is wrong. The Mariners didn't know any better than the Orioles whether Cruz would have a career year against all odds. They got very lucky. I certainly wouldn't pay a GM millions on the hopes that he's better at rolling a dice than the next guy.

Or maybe you're saying the Mariners played the ARod gambit: knowing Cruz had extra help to stop the aging process and that if he's caught they get salary relief. Then it becomes a question of ethics.

o

(vs. ANGELS, 5/20)

Trumbo hit his 13th home run of the season.

He has 31 RBI's, and his batting average is still above .300 (.306.)

His OBP of .355 might be even a little higher if he had some better home plate umpiring while he's been batting, but I guess that you can say that about a lot of players.

Clutch walk tonight!

Archived