Trade Rickard and some prospects for a starting pitcher?

calmunderfire

Maybe they don't know he's not very good in the field yet? He's had 11 games in majors. Now is the best time to sell high for Rickard. He's not going to play much defense. He's not going to hit for much power. He's not going to be a high OBP guy. Sell high. Sell now.

If teams wanted Rickard any team could have had him. The Orioles didn't pick him until the 7th pick in the rule 5. If a team wanted him they could have easily traded into the top 6 without giving up much. Or they could have traded a mediocre prospect to the Rays before the rule 5 draft. He hit 2 home runs in the minors last year at age 24 and 1 in 2014. I don't see him having a whole lot of trade value.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we should discuss the premise of this post' date=' what we have known for some time-we need starting quality pitching to win big this year. We did not buy any, so we must trade for some. What are our trade chips without mortgaging the future?

Catcher? If we are committed to Wieters, then we sign him long term and trade Joseph.

OF/1B? We seem to have a ton of those, who should we trade and what could we get for them?

Bullpen arms? We also seem to be loaded at this position. Should we weaken the pen to strengthen the rotation?[/quote']

Jones has trade value. Trumbo we got for our third string catcher who was 30 and who has played a total of 2 games for the Mariners this season. Reimold any could have had. Rickard is rule 5 guy anyone could have had. If we could have traded Kim we would have already.

Chris Davis contract is not something another team would trade for. So unless you want to trade Adam Jones we have no guys to trade that would bring us anything back in return at Outfield or First Base.

I doubt Rickard has that kind of value. Im not willing to trust Duquette in a trade at this point. Also think some of our scouts need to be fired. DJ Stewart says hello.

If Rickard performs well for the bulk of the season, he'll likely have some value next season as (1) a more proven commodity (2) under team control and (3) with options.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Matt Chapman to Giants 3 years 54 million.  Opt out after each season.  
    • Mountcastle was 10th in the AL in OPS in the 2nd half. That was post vertigo. With the WALL as a RHH. Only Ohtani, Casas, Seager, Tucker, Diaz, Witt, Rodriguez, Bregman, and Devers, had a higher 2nd half OPS. Pretty good company. 
    • On Draftkings, Kjerstad is the 9th favorite for AL ROY at +2200 Cowser is the 14th favorite for AL ROY at +3500
    • Funny, because I would say waiving other CF AAAA depth would mean that there is no reason to keep another backup CF around because McKenna is that guy. I also think Daniel Johnson must look good enough in camp to get rid of Burdick/Hilliard. It’s also interesting that we’ve only lost 4 players off waivers this offseason. Two of those were CF options. I don’t think the world of McKenna, but he’s a good bench option as being RH to a LH Mullins. 
    • I’ve arrived in Sarasota and will wear my Eddie Murray shirt to tomorrow’s game! Will save the Jones Jersey for Monday. So excited to be here!
    • LABR's AL only room tonight guessed confidence Ryan O'Hearn's playing time is secure over these two. An authentic Lowenstein is useful and the young DH/OF guys would be challenged early to outplay it. But if you feel like it was lightning in a bottle and even Mountcastle as a 1st round pick you happen to have but don't really like is someone you want to invest more in, then.... Only O'Hearn really stands in the way of 1B Mountcastle, DH Kjerstad (or Cowser) playing near enough to everyday.     Mountcastle should be getting towards those 10000 hours of practice to be really good at 1B defense, right? I wouldn't be shocked if a couple years back Elias could send mischievous texts to the Padres like, "we know you have to cut Jorge Mateo, and we're just waiting", and now the circle completes and Colorado or Chicago get to say "we know you have to cut Ryan O'Hearn and Ramon Urias, and we're just waiting (and no they can't be small pieces in your Dylan Cease bid)." Before Santander departs, the path is really more through the first basemen.    DL Hall being in the first big deal Elias actually closed hints to me Mountcastle could be next.    Mountcastle trade value in this slow market is constrained by JD Martinez or Brandon Belt hanging around wondering if they'll get jobs.     Belt may end up playing for less than the 1/4 Mountcastle will command in Arb1 this year.    Carlos Santana made it to ~$5M, a number Arb2 Mountcastle probably blows past for 2025 with a decent season. An early Mountcastle trade and O'Hearn fade could open a path for 1B Santander, RF Cowser, DH Kjerstad even (or however those 3 best defend those positions, probably something different every day based on the arms, bats, ballpark and weather that day. I still have hopes Mountcastle becomes a more significant contributor, but while we wait out Mayo and Basallo, Elias' most "My Guys" lineup in early 2024 might be like: SS Gunnar, C Adley, 1B Santander, LF Hays, DH Kjerstad, CF Mullins, 3B Westburg, RF Cowser, 2B Holliday
    • Surpised they still haven't started Westburg at 2B once yet this spring training after 8 games. He projects as the starting 2nd basemen on opening day.
  • Popular Contributors