Bedard

i_miss_cal

Unfortunately, I can't buy this line of thinking because Bedard has always pitched this way. He's a strikeout pitcher who goes for strikeouts. He's been that way since the first game I saw him pitch in Delmarva.

I grant you this. He is definitly a strikeout pitcher. But I do think if he had early leads he would be more efficient.

You're own numbers reject the "lack of offense" excuse.

I agree. The numbers show run support is there. However it also shows he is getting less than most of those pitchers. But the stats don't fit the theory. Your right.

First off I agree Bedard is a very good pitcher and one I think the Orioles should lock up into a long term deal after the season or move him for top prospects if the right deal comes up.

Bedard doesn't really want to be an ace and if you see most of his comments after being named the number one starter, you can tell he's a lot more like Mike Mussina than a true leader. Mussina was exactly the same way, he didn't want the pressure of being the number one guy or the guy people looked to for leadership.

Bedard would probably flurish as a number two guy where the spotlight would not be on him. He doesn't like to talk to the media, and would prefer if everyone just left him alone to pitch. Don't get me wrong, if he gives the Orioles seven strong innings each outing I don't care if he hates the media and or looks down at the fans. He's aloof, big deal as long as he can pitch.

But don't believe that's what makes an ace.

As for his heart, I have had questions at times since it appears he can be shaken by a bad break, an error, or a hit. Several times this year including the opening day game against the Twins and the Red Sox games he was shaken up by homerun or hit, and then made some bad pitches immediately afterwards.

Is Bedard the team's best pitcher right now? Absolutely. Is he one of the best pitchers in the American League, I like to think so. Is he a true Ace who can command three plus pitches and shows leadership and has to be pulled from the mound because he feels it's his game? I don't think so.

I think Bedard is very happy with going six or seven strong innings with a bunch of strikeouts and one or two runs allowed. I don't think many of us would mind that either.

But let's not make Bedard into something he's not. He's a very good pitcher and one who the Orioles should either build around or use in a trade to get better for the future.

I can't agree with you more. Bedard is not a #1 an should not be put into that position. However I still will maintain that he gives 100% effort - something that has been questioned of him before.

I think the key thing the Orioles need to learn to do is understand their players and do not overextend them. Trying to make Bedard the ace is not the right call. Even if he has the skills, he clearly does not have the mindset. But he still makes one hell of a #2 if we can get a #1.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bedard doesn't really want to be an ace and if you see most of his comments after being named the number one starter, you can tell he's a lot more like Mike Mussina than a true leader. Mussina was exactly the same way, he didn't want the pressure of being the number one guy or the guy people looked to for leadership.

Mussina was not a guy who wanted to mentor other pitchers or be a rah-rah team leader. But he hardly shied away from the pressure of being the number one guy, so far as pitching goes, when he was here. Just ask Randy Johnson about that. He was every inch a number one guy, an ace, or whatever you want to call it. He threw 45 complete games while he was here, led the league in IP one year, averaged over 7 innings per start three times, finished in the top 6 in Cy Young voting in 7 seasons, in the top 6 in ERA 7 times, and the top 5 in wins 5 times and was a 5-time all-star. Bedard has a long way to go to reach that level.

Mussina was not a guy who wanted to mentor other pitchers or be a rah-rah team leader. But he hardly shied away from the pressure of being the number one guy, so far as pitching goes, when he was here. Just ask Randy Johnson about that. He was every inch a number one guy, an ace, or whatever you want to call it. He threw 45 complete games while he was here, led the league in IP one year, averaged over 7 innings per start three times, finished in the top 6 in Cy Young voting in 7 seasons, in the top 6 in ERA 7 times, and the top 5 in wins 5 times and was a 5-time all-star. Bedard has a long way to go to reach that level.

THANK YOU!!! There's a lot of revisionist history in Baltimore since Mike left. For me he was my favorite O growing up and I still have a lot of love for him and I don't blame him one bit for telling Angelos to kiss his a--. Anybody who doesn't think he's an ace go watch his pitching perfomances in the 96 and 97 playoffs and come back and tell me that.

Archived