For crying out loud, can MLB please implement an electronic strike zone already?

weams

• 6 months later...

o

(vs. MARLINS, 8/05) )))))) [GAME ONE]

There were some very questionable Strike-Ball calls in this very close game.

That said, the Oriole offense has been nowhere to be found in 2 consecutive games against the Marlins.

o

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

There were some very questionable Strike-Ball calls in this very close game.

That said, the Oriole offense has been nowhere to be found in 2 consecutive games against the Marlins.

o

Several terrible calls in the Tuesday night game as well. Lakins was squeezed on one that led to runs and then they gifted the Fish a couple of strikes. I think it was Severino had one that was especially bad.

Also Hays' slump started when he got struck out twice on the first Tampa game on pitches that looked low. 

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I haven't watch a lot of the games, but the ones I've seen it was so obvious I thought maybe they'd stopped using the tracking systems.  Many pitches 6" out of the zone being called strikes.

Yeah, I can't remember so many calls getting called outside of the box this consistently by each umpire. It's not just the TV box either, you can go look at the pitch locations in baseball savant and see how many are well off the plate by a ball or two getting called strikes. 

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, I can't remember so many calls getting called outside of the box this consistently by each umpire. It's not just the TV box either, you can go look at the pitch locations in baseball savant and see how many are well off the plate by a ball or two getting called strikes. 

I wouldn't be surprised if MLB told the umps that this is the year where nothing really matters, let's see what happens when we expand the zone.

K rate is almost identical to last year at about 8.8.  But the batting average so far is the lowest (.230) in 149 years of organized pro baseball history.  Seven points behind 1968, when Yaz won the batting title at .301.

8 minutes ago, joelala said:

The goal being what, to quicken games? 

I suppose.  Baseball rarely goes and tackles a problem head-on.  The issue is pace of play and lack of action.  So they focus on time of game instead.  7 inning doubleheaders, the runner on second in extras, possibly expanding the strike zone. 

I guess they can't get consensus on how to cure the actual problems, so they try to make the patient comfortable by treating some symptoms.

It does appear they've deadened the ball a bit, HRs are off.  But they need to deaden it more, make bats bigger and heavier, and parks bigger.  And continue to pare down the number of pitchers you can have on the roster. And move the mound back to 63' or 64'.

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I suppose.  Baseball rarely goes and tackles a problem head-on.  The issue is pace of play and lack of action.  So they focus on time of game instead.  7 inning doubleheaders, the runner on second in extras, possibly expanding the strike zone. 

I guess they can't get consensus on how to cure the actual problems, so they try to make the patient comfortable by treating some symptoms.

It does appear they've deadened the ball a bit, HRs are off.  But they need to deaden it more, make bats bigger and heavier, and parks bigger.  And continue to pare down the number of pitchers you can have on the roster.

They could go back to making them pitch underhanded.

15 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

There were some very questionable Strike-Ball calls in this very close game.

o

o

Make that 3 consecutive games, now ........ 3 consecutive games of a virtually non-existent Oriole offense.

(A) lIn the 3-game series against the Rays, the 100-Plus loss 2018 and 2019 Orioles were nowhere to be found.

(B) lIn the first 3 games against the Marlins, the Oriole offense was nowhere to be found.

(C) lI am tempted to ask, "Will the real 2020 Baltimore Orioles please stand up ???" ........ but the answer to that question won't be answered until they are AT LEAST 30 or 35 games into this 60-game season, perhaps even longer.

o