For crying out loud, can MLB please implement an electronic strike zone already?

weams

12 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I don't want to see umpires lose their jobs for a robot.  I think that would be detrimental long term to the game. 

What we need to see is evaluation and accountability.  The umpires union, like many unions (I am in one), is going to end up hurting the whole to protect the worst few from accountability.  If we can track strike calling accuracy with the same technology would replace them with then do it, and penalize those who are inaccurate. 

They can still stand there.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I don't want to see umpires lose their jobs for a robot.  I think that would be detrimental long term to the game. 

What we need to see is evaluation and accountability.  The umpires union, like many unions (I am in one), is going to end up hurting the whole to protect the worst few from accountability.  If we can track strike calling accuracy with the same technology would replace them with then do it, and penalize those who are inaccurate. 

If it was implemented smartly, no umps would lose their jobs.

I also think a penalization system is shaky ground, because sometimes that type of added granular pressure actually decreases performance. And it assumes the umps could get better if they just really tried. I'm not sure they could. 

I wonder if umps see any data about their calls relative to other umpires, and in a more specific way than just right or wrong. Something like "Hey Tim, you had the largest outside corner of any ump in the majors. Here's a collection of videos of those pitches. Try to work on that?"

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Yeah, I don't think human umpires are the problem. Some really old dudes who just aren't that good at their jobs keep getting rolled out there. 

I think what will eventually happen is umpires will get virtual reality glasses - like Google Glass, but a better version - that helps the umpires see the strike zone from wherever they are standing. I don't think we'll see an electronic strike zone where there is a monitor behind the plate calling balls and strikes because its incredibly dorky and not fun. Most fans want to see the umpire going "STRRIIIKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEE THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE."

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, theocean said:

Yeah, I don't think human umpires are the problem. Some really old dudes who just aren't that good at their jobs keep getting rolled out there. 

I think what will eventually happen is umpires will get virtual reality glasses - like Google Glass, but a better version - that helps the umpires see the strike zone from wherever they are standing. I don't think we'll see an electronic strike zone where there is a monitor behind the plate calling balls and strikes because its incredibly dorky and not fun. Most fans want to see the umpire going "STRRIIIKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEE THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE."

I've advocated having some sort of electronic device to aid the umps, rather than outright replace them, for a number of reasons. I don't see how you can just replace an umpire behind the plate.  There is a lot more to being a home plate umpire than ball and strike calls. 

I had not seen an idea like yours, where a special pair of glasses (ironic LOL) could be the way to implement the strike zone assistance I mentioned earlier. On the surface, I like your concept.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, theocean said:

I don't think we'll see an electronic strike zone where there is a monitor behind the plate calling balls and strikes because its incredibly dorky and not fun. Most fans want to see the umpire going "STRRIIIKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEE THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE."

Build a trap door under the batter’s box, and if the electronic monitor determines that a pitch was strike three, have it instantaneously open and drop the batter into the abyss.   That’s far more entertaining than watching an umpire cry “strike three!”

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Then maybe they should do a better job? That's really the biggest downside to a union. It can lead to complacency because the members are so protected. And they protect the bad seeds as much as they protect the good workers. I don't see that ever changing. And I don't think the union would ever sign off on penalties for poor performance. So what the probably need to do is approach is from another angle. And offer incentives for good performance. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Build a trap door under the batter’s box, and if the electronic monitor determines that a pitch was strike three, have it instantaneously open and drop the batter into the abyss.   That’s far more entertaining than watching an umpire cry “strike three!”

I think I could get on board with this if we could somehow involve a dunk tank. 

9 minutes ago, bird watcher said:

Give the HP Umpire an ear piece. It buzzzes for a ball and Diings for a strike. Nobody hears it but him. Let him yell Strrriiiiikkeee Thhrreeeee!!!  The whole thing would be essentially invisible to the fans.  No Brainer to me. 

...then why are you even paying the umpire? 

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That is what should happen on called strike three.

22 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Then maybe they should do a better job? That's really the biggest downside to a union. It can lead to complacency because the members are so protected. And they protect the bad seeds as much as they protect the good workers. I don't see that ever changing. And I don't think the union would ever sign off on penalties for poor performance. So what the probably need to do is approach is from another angle. And offer incentives for good performance. 

They do offer bonuses.  It's called playoff checks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

...then why are you even paying the umpire? 

The HP Umpire has other responsibilities besides just balls and strikes. Also, If the technology fails during a game for some reason then the Ump would make the calls as he does now.  The tech becomes a tool that the ump uses instead of a replacement. 

I see zero downside aside from set up and maintenance cost for the tech. 

• Upvote 1