For crying out loud, can MLB please implement an electronic strike zone already?

weams

Why did the mods merge my thread that has many many pages of responses with a thread from 2015 which almost nobody replied in? What is the purpose of that? Seems like somebody is trying to piggyback a popular thread I made and try to claim credit for it.

I suggest you go ahead and pm a mod with your concerns.

Yeah. As in, I made the thread. It's my thread. Not I make the thread, then somebody shoehorns an old post to the top and claims it's theirs. I mean look, the thread still has my thread title and it still says Weams made the thread. I know fishy stuff happens on this forum all the time, but damn.

Life's too short.

Yeah. As in, I made the thread. It's my thread. Not I make the thread, then somebody shoehorns an old post to the top and claims it's theirs. I mean look, the thread still has my thread title and it still says Weams made the thread. I know fishy stuff happens on this forum all the time, but damn.

Yikes. How do you react when something doesn't go your way in real life?

How practical/possible is an electric strike zone? Given the fact that every hitter has a different strike zone. I'm sure they could do it I just question how perfect it could be. You still have calls at the plate that need to be made as well.

We have gone through this many times on this board. You don't even have to remove the umpire from his post. He will have a buzzer in his pocket that buzzes when the pitch is a strike. It's that simple. He could even ignore the buzzer if he wants to. But MLB would keep track of how many "ignores" each ump has over the season and would hold them accountable.

15562228.gif

We have gone through this many times on this board. You don't even have to remove the umpire from his post. He will have a buzzer in his pocket that buzzes when the pitch is a strike. It's that simple. He could even ignore the buzzer if he wants to. But MLB would keep track of how many "ignores" each ump has over the season and would hold them accountable.

If they can record the velocity and rate of spin on the ball I'm pretty sure they can handle balls/strikes.

This is an interesting article examining things like steroids and pitchfx and shows pretty definitively that both are responsible for killing the offense in baseball. This quest for "perfection" will continue to kill baseball and all

this micromanagement and open heart surgery that so many people think is better for the game actually isn't better at all. I don't want a "perfect" strike zone at the expense of a further decline in offense.

This is not a knock on technology as much as on the low strike zone in the rule book. MLB is aware of the problem and hence the recent news that the strike zone will be raised to above the kneecap.

This is not a knock on technology as much as on the low strike zone in the rule book. MLB is aware of the problem and hence the recent news that the strike zone will be raised to above the kneecap.

Goody, more walks and longer games. BUT the scores will be higher so nobody should notice.

So the ump retaliated against Escobar and then to further get back at the Angels and Escobar, he called a ball a strike against Trout? Or maybe he just made some bad calls in the O' favor at an important point in the game. I'll go with that over silly conspiracy theories.

The point being, regardless of motivation it was a terrible call. For what it's worth, we had a semi-pro ump on this thread who said he intentionally calls bad strikes whenever a batter makes an argumentative gesture.

The point being, regardless of motivation it was a terrible call. For what it's worth, we had a semi-pro ump on this thread who said he intentionally calls bad strikes whenever a batter makes an argumentative gesture.

That was actually from this thread, which devolved into a scene straight out of The Stepford Wives:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/152294-Rickard-s-Spring-Opponents-Between-AA-and-AAA

Enough with the conspiracy theories. Sometimes threads on similar topics get merged. When that happens, whoever posted the earlier thread is listed as the thread starter. That's how the forum platform is designed.

Also, as far as I know, nobody gets bonus points for starting a popular thread, so I'm not sure what you mean by "credit."

In the future, if you have any questions about the platform or moderation, please PM the moderators.