Buck's statement on Kim and tonight's game

LookitsPuck

In Cal's first 85 PAs in the majors he had 11 hits, including two doubles and a homer, one walk and 15 Ks. Clearly overmatched, terrible K/BB rates, zero power. On April 27th of his rookie year Nick Markakis sported a .189/.295/.302 line. Six weeks into his rookie year Brian Roberts was slashing .263/.285/.339. Manny had two months in 2013 with OPSes that barely cleared .500.

Give it time.

Those guys weren't rule 5 picks. They're not even remotely comparable in terms of talent. And do you think that they were batting leadoff in their first 85 PA in the majors?

I'm not saying we should bench Rickard, or that Kim should start over him. I just don't think that Rickard should be such be treated as such a key player that he needs to play every day and leadoff every game. Kim is arguably more talented than Rickard and Rickard, to this point, hasn't played well enough for the "everyday leadoff hitter" treatment. What's so difficult about that? Kim should be given some opportunities to carve into Rickard's playing time. I disagree with Buck's stubbornness with the whole leadoff hitter angle, and quotes like this that indicate to me that Buck has Rickard rated as a much better player than Kim right now, to the point that starting Kim instead hurts the team's chance to win. I'm not exactly dropping hot takes here.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What constitutes "play the guy"? David Lough spent nearly two seasons on the roster getting PAs at about the same rate Kim is.

Do you honestly believe that Buck's usage of Kim during spring training and the first part of the regular season, along with his comments concerning Kim, indicates he has full confidence in using Kim even as a part-time player? Do you think Kim is his choice to be on the roster, or he'd rather have someone else?

You need to watch the games more and ignore the ridiculously SSS numbers . No matter what you think of Joey's D he is much better than Kim in that regard.

I watch the games every single game every inning and still stand by my post. The Orioles immediate problem is OFFENSE, not DEFENSE. Rickard has not been good in the outfield this season and both the stats and the eye

are perfectly in sync on that.

An excuse me swinging bunt down the 3B line and another IF hit? Hardly owning the pitcher.

Did I say own? Where did I say that? Rickard gets an infield single and he's amazing. Kim does it and he sucks. Completely illogical.

I like Kim and think he'll be fine, probably. But those projections have to come with wide error bars, and have to fall on the optimistic side. The limited number of players with both MLB and KBO playing time make any projections between those leagues kind of an educated guess.

Indeed they do which is why I said I know it's just a projection and could mean absolutely nothing. I was just a little surprised to see even a projection that high.

Do you honestly believe that Buck's usage of Kim during spring training and the first part of the regular season, along with his comments concerning Kim, indicates he has full confidence in using Kim even as a part-time player? Do you think Kim is his choice to be on the roster, or he'd rather have someone else?
Rickard hasn't hit the last few games but he's having good AB, sees 4.24 P/PA and is a better fielder than Kim. He also has the fourth best OPS of the regular players. Nobody's hitting lately.

I dunno. Don't care that much. If Buck were really throwing a tantrum why does Kim have any playing time?

You can tell who doesn't watch the games when they refer to Kim's crappy infield singles as "heating up."

..and you can tell who sees what they want to see and decides to be willfully ignorant to anything inconvenient to their current opinion. Let's just ignore the fact that he is hitting the ball harder now and having good ABs

because that clashes with what you want to believe. The single in Texas was a laser beam and the RBI single in KC was not an infield single plus he hit a ball hard later in the game that was an out, but let's focus on the

infield hits instead. It's certainly not me that isn't watching the games.

Did I say own? Where did I say that? Rickard gets an infield single and he's amazing. Kim does it and he sucks. Completely illogical.

I showed the other day that Rickard was near the bottom, of a long list, in exit velocity.

If anyone on the team doesn't hit the ball hard it's him.

..and you can tell who sees what they want to see and decides to be willfully ignorant to anything inconvenient to their current opinion. Let's just ignore the fact that he is hitting the ball harder now and having good ABs

because that clashes with what you want to believe. The single in Texas was a laser beam and the RBI single in KC was not an infield single plus he hit a ball hard later in the game that was an out, but let's focus on the

infield hits instead. It's certainly not me that isn't watching the games.

Actually, that wasn't an out, was it. It was a hit that Kim got off the hard hit ball in the KC game, but yeah you're right. The infield singles are much more significant. You people are so biased that you can't even see

through your own BS.

I watch the games every single game every inning and still stand by my post. The Orioles immediate problem is OFFENSE, not DEFENSE. Rickard has not been good in the outfield this season and both the stats and the eye

are perfectly in sync on that.

The stat's are meaningless at this point and you'll excuse me if I don't accept the judgment of your eye. Rickard has at least as good an arm as Kim's, is much faster and has far greater range. I don't think he gets poorer reads than Kim. With Trumbo in RF we need the best two other OF on the team and like it or not that's AJ and Joey. At the plate he see's 4.24 P/PA and has good AB. puts the ball in play. He has had a number of at'em balls lately. No reason to bench him and play Kim v LHSP.

The stat's are meaningless at this point and you'll excuse me if I don't accept the judgment of your eye. Rickard has at least as good an arm as Kim's, is much faster and has far greater range. I don't think he gets poorer reads than Kim. With Trumbo in RF we need the best two other OF on the team and like it or not that's AJ and Joey. At the plate he see's 4.24 P/PA and has good AB. puts the ball in play. He has had a number of at'em balls lately. No reason to bench him and play Kim v LHSP.

Rickard has been awful in the outfield since being in the major leagues. What's Kim's P/PA? Kim doesn't have good AB's? Kim doesn't put the ball in play? He has been far less prone to striking out than Rickard. Second, who

doesn't watch the games again? Odorizzi is not a LHP.

Also, I find it funny that you say stats are meaningless at this point, then promptly turn around and post a stat for Rickard as if it means anything. Too funny.

Rickard has been awful in the outfield since being in the major leagues. What's Kim's P/PA? Kim doesn't have good AB's? Kim doesn't put the ball in play? He has been far less prone to striking out than Rickard. Second, who

doesn't watch the games again? Odorizzi is not a LHP.

You keep comparing Kim's AB to Joey's but his SS is miniscule in comparison. You say Joey has been awful in the OF . Can point out anything that makes Kim better? And if he is indeed awful why do you suppose Buck keeps playing him?

You keep comparing Kim's AB to Joey's but his SS is miniscule in comparison. You say Joey has been awful in the OF . Can coupons out any tithing that makes Kim better? And if he is indeed awful why do you suppose Buck keeps playing him?

Kim doesn't have the arm strength to overthrow the cut-off man.

BTW I don't think you can use coupons when tithing.

Archived