Buck's statement on Kim and tonight's game

LookitsPuck

You keep comparing Kim's AB to Joey's but his SS is miniscule in comparison. You say Joey has been awful in the OF . Can coupons out any tithing that makes Kim better? And if he is indeed awful why do you suppose Buck keeps playing him?

Me? The consensus seems to be anything Kim does sucks and anything Rickard does is awesome. Rickard gets infield singles and he's amazing. Kim gets infield singles and he sucks. You say stats now are meaningless, then

post the P/PA for Rickard as if it "means something" completely ignoring the fact that Kim has good AB's, sees a lot of pitches and puts the ball in play yet it means nothing when he does it. The coaching staff fell in love

with Rickard and put all their eggs in that basket. Reimold isn't an every day guy and Buck obviously does not want to use Kim. At least Trumbo is producing with the bat ATM, but Rickard isn't.

YOU just compared Kim's AB's to Joeys unfairly I might add. Kim has quality AB's just like Joey does, but Kim sucks by default so it doesn't matter.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im guessing this will continue until July or so, and then Buck will get his way, and Kim gets released. Kim's bat isnt that bad, but he is not the power hitter he was in Korea. Not even close. Buck doesn't seem to like anything about his game.

im guessing this will continue until July or so, and then Buck will get his way, and Kim gets released. Kim's bat isnt that bad, but he is not the power hitter he was in Korea. Not even close. Buck doesn't seem to like anything about his game.

The question is, who is Dan going to trade for that they need to move Kim? By then it should be clear that Rickard is better suited as a fourth outfielder and not an everyday leadoff guy.

Me? The consensus seems to be anything Kim does sucks and anything Rickard does is awesome. Rickard gets infield singles and he's amazing. Kim gets infield singles and he sucks. You say stats now are meaningless, then

post the P/PA for Rickard as if it "means something" completely ignoring the fact that Kim has good AB's, sees a lot of pitches and puts the ball in play yet it means nothing when he does it. The coaching staff fell in love

with Rickard and put all their eggs in that basket. Reimold isn't an every day guy and Buck obviously does not want to use Kim. At least Trumbo is producing with the bat ATM, but Rickard isn't.

YOU just compared Kim's AB's to Joeys unfairly I might add. Kim has quality AB's just like Joey does, but Kim sucks by default so it doesn't matter.

I guess you missed the shift in opinion. Since Rickard is 1-for-his-last-19 or whatever that's definitive proof that he's terrible, he's a .200 hitter with zero power, the Rays were 100% correct to leave him unprotected, and the gullible Orioles were the only org who bought into the mirage that was his 2015 MiLB performance. Gotta be quick in April lest you miss a savior turning into a loser or vice versa.

.. and you can say that with absolute certainty despite the fact that he's hitting the ball much harder lately and hasn't even had 20 AB's in the major leagues? There are never any guarantees and Kim very well may end

up making me look silly, but his progress is NOT indicative in any way that he is even close to his ceiling as a major leaguer. If he was having bad AB's, striking out and still not hitting the ball hard, then there would be

reason to believe VIA his performance that perhaps Kim is not a major league player. He has shown the opposite of that thus far.

This is pretty funny IMO. I don't know how prepared he has to be. He throws the same eight out there with the same line up nearly every night. His big decisions is who will DH and whether Joseph or Wieters is catching. His bullpen is great and just rotates in the final 3-4 pieces every game. He is not ever creative on offense, just wait for the homer.. Maybe he over achieves with the assembly of guys he has, and perhaps he is very prepared with defense positioning, but offensively he is as conservative as it gets.

(1) I think you are equating offensive philosophy with being prepared.

as for your other point -- Maybe he's just been winging it all these years. Surely, he was just throwing darts last year when he was plugging De Aza, Snider, Urrutia, Paredes, Reimold, Delmon Young, Lough, Clevenger, Pearce, Parmele, etc., into various line-ups seemingly every game last season.

Yeah, maybe you are right. I guess, Buck's just the kind of manager who lets the chips fall where they may. Content to sit back 19 games in and ride this thing out. . . . .

The stat's are meaningless at this point and you'll excuse me if I don't accept the judgment of your eye. Rickard has at least as good an arm as Kim's, is much faster and has far greater range. I don't think he gets poorer reads than Kim. With Trumbo in RF we need the best two other OF on the team and like it or not that's AJ and Joey. At the plate he see's 4.24 P/PA and has good AB. puts the ball in play. He has had a number of at'em balls lately. No reason to bench him and play Kim v LHSP.

I've actually been impressed with Kim's speed on the base paths (though not in the outfield). That's why I was surprised when Buck sent Reimold in to pinch run for him--twice, I believe. I'll be optimistic and assume it was to give Reimold some warm-up before replacing Kim in the outfield the following defensive half-inning.

The question is, who is Dan going to trade for that they need to move Kim? By then it should be clear that Rickard is better suited as a fourth outfielder and not an everyday leadoff guy.

Kim is not a 4th OF going by Buck's analysis. Buck wont use him in late innings. I dont know if Reimold is healthy, but if he is, He can handle 400+ PA's If Rickard falters.

The OP was about Bucks reasons for sticking with Joey. I agree with him. I wouldn't start Kim v the next 4 LH SP. I also would've started Joey last night over Kim because Joey is the better fielder, no matter how bad you think he is. Simply by having better range. Also Joey is having QAB even if the results haven't been good of late. Joeys P/PA of 4.24, in 83 PA means that up to now he has been seeing a lot of pitches, one thing that supports the notion of his QAB. Kim has had 12 PA total. So nothing can be made of that and to try to claim that he is having as good AB as Joey based on that tiny SS is absurd.

The OP was about Bucks reasons for sticking with Joey. I agree with him. I wouldn't start Kim v the next 4 LH SP. I also would've started Joey last night over Kim because Joey is the better fielder, no matter how bad you think he is. Simply by having better range. Also Joey is having QAB even if the results haven't been good of late. Joeys P/PA of 4.24, in 83 PA means that up to now he has been seeing a lot of pitches, one thing that supports the notion of his QAB. Kim has had 12 PA total. So nothing can be made of that and to try to claim that he is having as good AB as Joey based on that tiny SS is absurd.

..but you said the sample sizes for Rickard's defensive stats are too small to mean anything, yet his PA's do? Make up your mind. Either they mean something or they don't. You can't take the stats that support your

opinion and disregard all others because they are inconvenient. If Rickard's PA's matter, then so do his defensive metrics. He is not that good in the outfield.

I don't think you need to worry about Kim making you look silly. Kim has had 12 PA 5 H 3 IF H and 2 LD. His P/PA is 3.67 over those PA.., It is ridiculous to try and draw any conclusions from this. Also as to his fielding he is a -41 Rtot in 22 IN.

I've actually been impressed with Kim's speed on the base paths (though not in the outfield). That's why I was surprised when Buck sent Reimold in to pinch run for him--twice, I believe. I'll be optimistic and assume it was to give Reimold some warm-up before replacing Kim in the outfield the following defensive half-inning.
I believe I recall Palmer saying that Rickard was one of the fastest runners in the league. Reimold is also one of the fastest RH hitters down the line.

I don't think you need to worry about Kim making you look silly. Kim has had 12 PA 5 H 3 IF H and 2 LD. His P/PA is 3.67 over those PA.., It is ridiculous to try and draw any conclusions from this. Also as to his fielding he is a -41 Rtot in 22 IN.

I see, so again, Kim's defensive metrics matter, but Rickard's don't because you say they don't. You don't have a clue what you're even talking about anymore. You're just cherry picking and showing your bias. The sample

sizes are too small to matter, but they're not. The much smaller sample sizes for Kim matter, but the larger ones for Rickard doesn't. :laughlol: Yeah, that's totally reasonable. Keep picking.

..but you said the sample sizes for Rickard's defensive stats are too small to mean anything, yet his PA's do? Make up your mind. Either they mean something or they don't. You can't take the stats that support your

opinion and disregard all others because they are inconvenient. If Rickard's PA's matter, then so do his defensive metrics. He is not that good in the outfield.

You really don't seem to understand the nature of these stats. 4.24 P/PA is a fact, he has seen that many pitches to date.It isn't a useful SS to project what he will have for a full season. By comparison to use defensive metrics to compare players meaningfully, you need at least a 2400 IN SS. So can you honestly say that in the 22 innings Kim has played LF he has shown superior ,reads, routes or arm, to Joey in the 165 IN he has played so far?

Archived