Buck's statement on Kim and tonight's game

LookitsPuck

I like the better D from Joey and while he didn't get results last night, he had some good AB and two drives in the gap that were run down. Joey's AB are far better than Schoops at the moment. Or Manny's for that matter.

Perhaps, but it's not like this offense couldn't use a shake up every now and then. Kim is hotter than Joey right now who is struggling. Offensive production is killing us, not defense.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps, but it's not like this offense couldn't use a shake up every now and then. Kim is hotter than Joey right now who is struggling. Offensive production is killing us, not defense.
You are out of your depth. Kim isn't playing, how can he be hot? Joey is a better defender. Is seeing a lot of pitches, and having QAB whether or not they are falling in.

You are out of your depth. Kim isn't playing, how can he be hot? Joey is a better defender. Is seeing a lot of pitches, and having QAB whether or not they are falling in.

He's 5-for-10 and just got his first RBI. He has looked better every time he has played despite hardly playing and is hitting the ball hard at least once a game. What depth do you refer to? Rickard is in a 2-for-20 slump

and the Orioles are being killed by not having someone to get the big hit and you're fixated on defense? Besides, it's a flawed argument.

LF

RngR: -3.7

ErrR: 0.2

UZR: -4.6

UZR/150: 46.4

CF

RngR: -0.4

ErrR: 0.0

UZR: -0.6

UZR/150: -24.2

Total

RngR: -4.0

ErrR: 0.3

UZR: -5.2

UZR/150: 40.8

Rickard's defense has not been nearly as good as many of us thought. He is way below average so far as a major league outfielder. I know the sample size is very small and it's even smaller for Kim, but it's all there is to

go on and considering Kim's bat has been heating up with each AB and Rickard is ice cold, it would make perfect sense to start Kim against Odorizzi who he has already seen.

in 2016 in that small sample size.

He's 5-for-10 and just got his first RBI. He has looked better every time he has played despite hardly playing and is hitting the ball hard at least once a game. What depth do you refer to? Rickard is in a 2-for-20 slump

and the Orioles are being killed by not having someone to get the big hit and you're fixated on defense? Besides, it's a flawed argument.

LF

UZR/150: -46.4

CF

Total

UZR/150: -40.8

Rickard's defense has not been nearly as good as many of us thought. He is way below average so far as a major league outfielder. I know the sample size is very small and it's even smaller for Kim, but it's all there is to

go on and considering Kim's bat has been heating up with each AB and Rickard is ice cold, it would make perfect sense to start Kim against Odorizzi who he has already seen.

Edit: forgot the minus signs and messed up text at the end. It's late.

LF

UZR/150: 46.4

CF

Total

UZR/150: 40.8

in 2016 in that small sample size.

You need to watch the games more and ignore the ridiculously SSS numbers . No matter what you think of Joey's D he is much better than Kim in that regard.

The context of the article is about Joey Rickard and why Buck kept him in the line up. Basically it's about confidence in Joey, not bashing Kim. I like Kim, but I wouldn't have started him tonight nor would I start him v the net 4 LH SP. I will try to work him in late.

I can't find it, Roch posted something earlier from Buck, that TB is a pretty big LF. Rickard is certainly capable of covering more ground (well) than Kim.

Kim went 2-for-3 against Odorizzi back on the 10th. I would have started him since he was one of the few pitchers Kim had already seen. Considering how much he struggled, Kim probably would have had another good game.

An excuse me swinging bunt down the 3B line and another IF hit? Hardly owning the pitcher.

I like the better D from Joey and while he didn't get results last night, he had some good AB and two drives in the gap that were run down. Joey's AB are far better than Schoops at the moment. Or Manny's for that matter.

For all his lately ownage, Joey is STILL seeing a lot of pitches. Almost every AB. He works counts like a veteran.

An excuse me swinging bunt down the 3B line and another IF hit? Hardly owning the pitcher.

In 9 PAs since then, he's had three solid hits, a long lineout, and two walks. He looks like he has as good an eye for the strike zone as Rickard or Reimold. He runs the bases well. He did look unsure in Kaufman's large LF, but maybe he just needs some more playing time to stabilize out there. His throws haven't been a problem.

The problem isn't Kim, it's the roster's construction--I'm sure Buck wasn't happy about sending Flaherty down because he is forced to keep what he probably views as two lefty DH's.

Buck doesn't usually throw his players under the bus, but he's done it more and more this year with Kim.

That and I don't know if Pedro Alvarez is going to make the team that much better than Kim when it comes to "trying to win a game".

It just seemed like another smack in the face and totally unnecessary.

I read this as Buck saying he's prioritizing winning the next game by using appropriate matchups over keeping Kim fresh, as he should in most cases. But then again I'm looking at this Wednesday morning and I'm not fuming that the O's season is over since they lost last night and only do dumb things.

I fail to understand how 45 spring training AB's and 10 regular season AB's is enough for some people to declare a player with the circumstances Kim has as being no good. He has done better each time he has had a

chance to play. I was just looking at his player page on mlb.com and was surprised to see his projections there.

124 AB, .298/.367/.435, .802 OPS

I know it's just a projection, but it's a pretty nice one. Some have just decided they don't like him regardless of what he does. Buck strikes me as the kind of person that has trouble entertaining the possibility of being

wrong especially about something like Kim who he was very public about. There's a lot of ego there IMO. I maintain that Kim will be nowhere near as bad as some think and probably a great deal better.

I like Kim and think he'll be fine, probably. But those projections have to come with wide error bars, and have to fall on the optimistic side. The limited number of players with both MLB and KBO playing time make any projections between those leagues kind of an educated guess.

Archived