Buck's statement on Kim and tonight's game

LookitsPuck

Kim is a 5th OF'er that can't play CF and isn't an option to pinch run. He's also LH, so he's not going to play vs LHP. Who's he going to pinch hit for? Schoop, Hardy, MW, CJ, Rickard?

With Trumbo and Reimold healthy, and Rickard producing, there wouldn't be a spot for Kim even if he didn't have a bad spring. He was insurance for Davis. We kept Davis and went out and got Alvarez too. The guy could be in AAA right now putting pressure on Rickard and P.Alvarez.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually I think it's quite the opposite regarding who doesn't watch the games. Kim's last three hits have been (correct me if I'm wrong), a hard single to right field as a pinch hitter in Texas, a flare over the shortstop for his first RBI, and a scorched ball off the KC first baseman's glove. But by all means, continue to call them "crappy infield singles".

Does "flare" imply it wasn't hit well (MLB.com called it a soft line drive)? It looked like Kim deliberately dropped it into short center to get the run in. It was definitely the pitch to capitalize on (91 mph 4-seamer falling into the middle of the strike zone). During his KBO career, he showed the ability to adapt his swing like that, presumably one of the reasons the O's thought they wanted him in the first place.

Kim is a 5th OF'er that can't play CF and isn't an option to pinch run. He's also LH, so he's not going to play vs LHP. Who's he going to pinch hit for? Schoop, Hardy, MW, CJ, Rickard?

With Trumbo and Reimold healthy, and Rickard producing, there wouldn't be a spot for Kim even if he didn't have a bad spring. He was insurance for Davis. We kept Davis and went out and got Alvarez too. The guy could be in AAA right now putting pressure on Rickard and P.Alvarez.

If he truly is not one of Buck's guys (and I think he isn't) then any trip to AAA would have been one-way. I think Kim understood that and refused to be manipulated. I would have made the same choice in his place.

I get the feeling that Buck had this situation dumped on him and he doesn't like it. I don't blame him, but if he doesn't give Kim ample opportunity to show what he can do - like he's done with Alvarez and is doing with Rickard and Schoop - then he's going to start looking not only biased, but also petty IMO.

The criticism of Kim since spring training has been that he can't hit the MLB fastball. I always thought what a strange analysis this was. I'm no scout, but being able to hit a fastball i would assume is one of the easiest thing to scout? I could probably do it with youtube.

Well, I have scouted and I wouldn't call it easy no matter what is being evaluated. What you have to remember is that Kim has no ML track record. He played in the KBO which isn't even the best Asian baseball. While the Asian market is an area I'm still learning I've heard it translates roughly to AA competition.

Who's he gonna pinch hit for? I'd say he should pinch hit or start ahead of Alvarez in certain situations and every now and then. For instance, if we are down by more than one run in the late innings, I like Kim's chances of setting the table by getting on base over Alvarez's.

Kim looks clueless on defense and he can't hit the ball out of the infield. I wonder what the scouts were looking at.

Kim is also really short-sighted by refusing to accept a minor league assignment, because the alternative is just riding the bench. The only way he can get playing time is if he proves himself and he can't prove himself without playing.

Call him in, tell him to accept the minor league assignment, and if he says no, cut him and fire the scout who brought him in.

Kim looks clueless on defense and he can't hit the ball out of the infield. I wonder what the scouts were looking at.

Kim is also really short-sighted by refusing to accept a minor league assignment, because the alternative is just riding the bench. The only way he can get playing time is if he proves himself and he can't prove himself without playing.

Call him in, tell him to accept the minor league assignment, and if he says no, cut him and fire the scout who brought him in.

In 10 official ABs, Kim has hit the ball out of the infield, hard, four, arguably five times. He's also walked twice. This information has been given by several different posters, but I guess you're paying as much attention to it as you have to Kim's actual performance.

I'm tired of Rickard. He's a great story and looks like he could be a decent 4th OF, I'm glad we drafted him, but he doesn't need to be an every day player at this point. Terrible K/BB rates, zero power. Speed in the OF and decent arm but some very bad routes and instincts thus far.

The problem is we don't have a "leadoff" type. Kim isn't going to lead off. Buck doesn't want to put Manny there. So Rickard, because he's our only fast player, is now suddenly our everyday leadoff hitter? It's not like his numbers on the season are even that good anymore. He has a .306 OBP. That's not a leadoff hitter, even if he is the fastest player on the team.

I'd like to see some more of Kim, at Rickard's expense. He hasn't looked as overmatched as as he did in early ST. You don't have to lead off Kim, but get him in the lineup. Lead off Manny, Jones, Reimold, whoever.

MAybe so but for for thT to happen he to be on another team. He will not get a

chance with the O's. IMO

I think it would be wise for the O's to keep Kim as sharp as possible considering how unproven Rickard is, how injury-prone Reimold is, and the possibility that Alvarez will have one of his bad seasons.

Buck's job is to win games. Not sure what the big deal is. He's the manager and his job is to know which players give him the best chance to win on a given night.

Buck's as prepared as they come...He's not infallible but he seems pretty adamant that giving Kim more time is not going to lead to better results for the team.

As for whether his comments are "harsh," sometimes the truth hurts. The only argument you can make for Kim is that he's the unknown. Like the back-up QB in football, he's a favorite of some who play the what-if game. Buck's just not going to experiment at the cost of MLB games. If Kim wants to prove himself, it's going to have to be at AAA.

I'm tired of Rickard. He's a great story and looks like he could be a decent 4th OF, I'm glad we drafted him, but he doesn't need to be an every day player at this point. Terrible K/BB rates, zero power. Speed in the OF and decent arm but some very bad routes and instincts thus far.

The problem is we don't have a "leadoff" type. Kim isn't going to lead off. Buck doesn't want to put Manny there. So Rickard, because he's our only fast player, is now suddenly our everyday leadoff hitter? It's not like his numbers on the season are even that good anymore. He has a .306 OBP. That's not a leadoff hitter, even if he is the fastest player on the team.

I'd like to see some more of Kim, at Rickard's expense. He hasn't looked as overmatched as as he did in early ST. You don't have to lead off Kim, but get him in the lineup. Lead off Manny, Jones, Reimold, whoever.

In Cal's first 85 PAs in the majors he had 11 hits, including two doubles and a homer, one walk and 15 Ks. Clearly overmatched, terrible K/BB rates, zero power. On April 27th of his rookie year Nick Markakis sported a .189/.295/.302 line. Six weeks into his rookie year Brian Roberts was slashing .263/.285/.339. Manny had two months in 2013 with OPSes that barely cleared .500.

Give it time.

Buck's job is to win games. Not sure what the big deal is. He's the manager and his job is to know which players give him the best chance to win on a given night.

Buck's as prepared as they come...He's not infallible but he seems pretty adamant that giving Kim more time is not going to lead to better results for the team.

As for whether his comments are "harsh' date='" sometimes the truth hurts. The only argument you can make for Kim is that he's the unknown. Like the back-up QB in football, he's a favorite of some who play the what-if game. Buck's just not going to experiment at the cost of MLB games. If Kim wants to prove himself, it's going to have to be at AAA.[/quote']

This Mexican stand-off with Kim can't last for two years, can it? Kim's decided he's happy to make his millions on a MLB bench if he has to, and the Orioles have to accept that decision. Either play the guy or release him.

This Mexican stand-off with Kim can't last for two years, can it? Kim's decided he's happy to make his millions on a MLB bench if he has to, and the Orioles have to accept that decision. Either play the guy or release him.

What constitutes "play the guy"? David Lough spent nearly two seasons on the roster getting PAs at about the same rate Kim is.

As for whether his comments are "harsh' date='" sometimes the truth hurts. The only argument you can make for Kim is that he's the unknown. Like the back-up QB in football, he's a favorite of some who play the what-if game. Buck's just not going to experiment at the cost of MLB games. If Kim wants to prove himself, it's going to have to be at AAA.[/quote']

This is pretty funny IMO. I don't know how prepared he has to be. He throws the same eight out there with the same line up nearly every night. His big decisions is who will DH and whether Joseph or Wieters is catching. His bullpen is great and just rotates in the final 3-4 pieces every game. He is not ever creative on offense, just wait for the homer.. Maybe he over achieves with the assembly of guys he has, and perhaps he is very prepared with defense positioning, but offensively he is as conservative as it gets.

Archived