Buck's statement on Kim and tonight's game

LookitsPuck

Buck loves *his* guys and will ride his guys all year. Rickard is obviously one of his guys and Kim is not. By the end of the year Rickard will be hitting .210 and still playing every day. Head to head though i have no doubt Kim is a better hitter than Rickard. Rickard is a solid 4th OF at best.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buck loves *his* guys and will ride his guys all year. Rickard is obviously one of his guys and Kim is not. By the end of the year Rickard will be hitting .210 and still playing every day. Head to head though i have no doubt Kim is a better hitter than Rickard. Rickard is a solid 4th OF at best.

Buck has his favorites, as all managers do. He is pretty obvious if there is a player he is not happy with. Tillman can have a rocky start and Buck will be very gentle in his criticism. Jake when he was here was critiqued much more harshly. Each player has different personalities and have to be stroked differently. If a player gets on Buck's wrong side for whatever reason, it seems to be a life sentence. Likewise, if you are on his good side, it is also for life. I think Earl was asked one time about how he deals with players/clubhouse relations and said something like "I keep the 12 players that like me away from the 12 players that hate me." Earl was a pretty stubborn guy, but IMO BS is much more so and sometimes his ego works to his detriment.

Buck has his favorites, as all managers do. He is pretty obvious if there is a player he is not happy with. Tillman can have a rocky start and Buck will be very gentle in his criticism. Jake when he was here was critiqued much more harshly. Each player has different personalities and have to be stroked differently. If a player gets on Buck's wrong side for whatever reason, it seems to be a life sentence. Likewise, if you are on his good side, it is also for life. I think Earl was asked one time about how he deals with players/clubhouse relations and said something like "I keep the 12 players that like me away from the 12 players that hate me." Earl was a pretty stubborn guy, but IMO BS is much more so and sometimes his ego works to his detriment.

I've heard that attributed to Casey, not Earl. Which probably means it originated with Patsy Tebeau or somebody.

You can tell who doesn't watch the games when they refer to Kim's crappy infield singles as "heating up."

Actually I think it's quite the opposite regarding who doesn't watch the games. Kim's last three hits have been (correct me if I'm wrong), a hard single to right field as a pinch hitter in Texas, a flare over the shortstop for his first RBI, and a scorched ball off the KC first baseman's glove. But by all means, continue to call them "crappy infield singles".

Moore (lefty) and 3 lefties in the ChiSox series spells minimal playing time for Kim. But Buck had the following to say:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/04/rickard-remains-in-lineup-seeks-solution-to-slump.html

Does this rub anyone else the wrong way?

I just don't think Kim is a Buck nugget. Kim needs to play. DD trade Kim or send

him back to Korea.

You can tell who doesn't watch the games when they refer to Kim's crappy infield singles as "heating up."

I'm not convinced when it comes to Kim, but Rickard had a hot ST. I think the coaching staff here disagrees with the scouting eval on Kim. However, to not play him to the detriment of the lineup doesn't make sense either and I'm not saying that's happening. Who would have he replaced and why? I think eventually Kim is a decent hitter but who knows?

I'm not convinced when it comes to Kim, but Rickard had a hot ST. I think the coaching staff here disagrees with the scouting eval on Kim. However, to not play him to the detriment of the lineup doesn't make sense either and I'm not saying that's happening. Who would have he replaced and why? I think eventually Kim is a decent hitter but who knows?

Pretty spot on. Who knows.

I fail to understand how 45 spring training AB's and 10 regular season AB's is enough for some people to declare a player with the circumstances Kim has as being no good. He has done better each time he has had a

chance to play. I was just looking at his player page on mlb.com and was surprised to see his projections there.

124 AB, .298/.367/.435, .802 OPS

I know it's just a projection, but it's a pretty nice one. Some have just decided they don't like him regardless of what he does. Buck strikes me as the kind of person that has trouble entertaining the possibility of being

wrong especially about something like Kim who he was very public about. There's a lot of ego there IMO. I maintain that Kim will be nowhere near as bad as some think and probably a great deal better.

MAybe so but for for thT to happen he to be on another team. He will not get a

chance with the O's. IMO

The criticism of Kim since spring training has been that he can't hit the MLB fastball. I always thought what a strange analysis this was. I'm no scout, but being able to hit a fastball i would assume is one of the easiest thing to scout? I could probably do it with youtube.

I just think you have to play Kim and sit Rickard some. The league has as expected adjusted to Rickard and he's coming back down to earth. It's not like he's getting a lot of walks either. Also Rickard's defense hasn't been that impressive to me, i don't know.

The playing time is one thing. The comments are really just growing old. Clearly Buck has an axe to grind over Kim.

Well JMHO I think the FO told Buck he's 7 mil find a way to use him there's no doubt in my mind Kim would not be on this roster other wise.

I have no issue with what Buck said, he's the manger he's entitled to his opinion too. ;)

MAybe so but for for thT to happen he to be on another team. He will not get a

chance with the O's. IMO

The way the organization is handling the Kim situation is embarrassing.

If you think the guy is a complete turd not worthy of any playing time then just release him already and eat the contract.

That'd be the best thing. DD screwed up signing Kim to that contract. Maybe

Buck wasn't in favor of signing Kim. So Kim sits most of the time. Play time is the

only way to get an honest read on him. IMO

Archived