Buck's statement on Kim and tonight's game

LookitsPuck

I see, so again, Kim's defensive metrics matter, but Rickard's don't because you say they don't. You don't have a clue what you're even talking about anymore. You're just cherry picking and showing your bias. The sample

sizes are too small to matter, but they're not. The much smaller sample sizes for Kim matter, but the larger ones for Rickard doesn't. :laughlol: Yeah, that's totally reasonable. Keep picking.

Let me see if I understand you. You think the batting SS is enough to make a comparison between Kim and Joey? 12PA to 83? I agree either's defensive metrics are to small to have any meaning. So I am assuming your eye tells you that Kim gets better reads, takes better routes, has greater range, and a stronger arm than Joey, and this is clear to you after seeing only 22 innings of his play in the field?

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You really don't seem to understand the nature of these stats. 4.24 P/PA is a fact, he has seen that many pitches to date.It isn't a useful SS to project what he will have for a full season. By comparison to use defensive metrics to compare players meaningfully, you need at least a 2400 IN SS. So can you honestly say that in the 22 innings Kim has played LF he has shown superior ,reads, routes or arm, to Joey in the 165 IN he has played so far?

Who is trying to project a full season? I thought we were talking about what they have done so far. You say defensive metrics don't matter, yet you post Kim's defensive stats? Why if they don't matter? To date,

Joey's defense is not good. It could change just like the P/PA, but we're talking about right NOW and right now, Rickard's defense is way below average. Either the sample sizes are too small to draw any conclusions or

they're not. It's a fact that Joey's D hasn't been good just as his P/PA is in this SSS. I don't buy that one matters and the other doesn't.

Let me see if I understand you. You think the batting SS is enough to make a comparison between Kim and Joey? 12PA to 83? I agree either's defensive metrics are to small to have any meaning. So I am assuming your eye tells you that Kim gets better reads, takes better routes, has greater range, and a stronger arm than Joey, and this is clear to you after seeing only 22 innings of his play in the field?

I never brought up offensive stats. I said Kim has good ABs and puts the ball in play just like you said Rickard does. I also never said Kim was better or worse than Rickard defensively. I was replying to you putting Joey in

for better defense when his defense so far this season has not been good.

I never brought up offensive stats. I said Kim has good ABs and puts the ball in play just like you said Rickard does. I also never said Kim was better or worse than Rickard defensively. I was replying to you putting Joey in

Kim hasn't blown anything yet--as opposed to Trumbo--but he looks awfully nervous on every fly ball or long line drive and I've seen him need to reset drastically his approach to the ball several times almost each play. The throws have been fine. He will probably improve greatly once he has enough playing time, but at this point it's clear that Rickard, though overrated (possibly because he can also play centerfield), doesn't have nearly as much trouble tracking a batted ball as Kim does.

Kim hasn't blown anything yet--as opposed to Trumbo--but he looks awfully nervous on every fly ball or long line drive and I've seen him need to reset drastically his approach to the ball several times almost each play. The throws have been fine. He will probably improve greatly once he has enough playing time, but at this point it's clear that Rickard, though overrated (possibly because he can also play centerfield), doesn't have nearly as much trouble tracking a batted ball as Kim does.

Kim is anything but graceful out there, but he hasn't misplayed anything. I agree he does look nervous with all these new parks he's playing in for the first time and as you said, nervousness will evaporate with playing

time. However, considering the circumstances of a slumping Rickard and what Kim has been showing in his limited time, it made sense to start him against Odorizzi who he has seen already and hope Kim could get the

big hit where no one else has been able to. The jury is still out on the defense of both Kim and Rickard, but the Orioles are losing games due to offensive ineptitude in scoring opportunities and not defensive problems. All

I was saying is that the potential offensive upside of giving Kim a start over Rickard in that situation outweighed any defensive concerns. Rickard hasn't been great and Kim hasn't looked great on D, but we need to find

someone who can get the big hit and that is the priority here, not defense.

I dunno. Don't care that much. If Buck were really throwing a tantrum why does Kim have any playing time?

Appearances. He's played him just enough so it can't be a story about a guy being on a major league roster all season and not playing at all.

Whether or not his defense is bad, it's better than Kim's if only because he has better range. You disagree? and you can't say anything about the quality of his AB in comparison to Rickard after only 12 PA.

Appearances. He's played him just enough so it can't be a story about a guy being on a major league roster all season and not playing at all.

Little Kenny will find a way to make it one anyway...

Kim's probably good for 200 PA regardless what with rest, injuries etc. I wonder if he'll ever have enough consistent playing time to get a clear idea as to exactly what we can expect from him.

Why would that rub me the wrong way?

He didn't make the team by performance. He made it by a contract clause that I can only assume Buck didn't write.

For all I care he can never play and I don't think I'd blame buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trumbo looks bad in the outfield and like he may cost us some games with his defense. I'm not sure if an allignment of Kim in Left and Rickard/Reimold in Right would be any better. I would like to limit Trumbo's exposure in right. I think the only way to do that is DH him and sit him more frequently once he cools down. That means less starts for Alvarez. More for Reimold and maybe more for Kim.

Buck made the judgment that Kim wasn't good enough to make the team. Now, he makes the judgment that since he has to have him on the roster, he isn't good enough to play with any regularity. All those that are more able to make that judgment, please raise their hands.

Buck made the judgment that Kim wasn't good enough to make the team. Now, he makes the judgment that since he has to have him on the roster, he isn't good enough to play with any regularity. All those that are more able to make that judgment, please raise their hands.

Ah, nobody. Thread should be closed

A Kim detractor asks a loaded rhetorical question, waits one minute for responses and then tries to shut down all discourse. Curious, to say the least.

Exactly and if we have no right to question a manager's judgement......or a front office's judgement, etc. then what is the purpose of having a message board? Why debate anything?

I'm not saying Buck isn't correct in this instance but the whole point of having a message board is to debate things like this. I still think Kim will get a chance to play with more regularity at some point. Someone will get hurt or someone will underperform.

Archived