Wow, Kim is untouchable

cm1290

I think that this is the main reason that hard ground balls aren't necessarily better than soft ones. Because, by my understanding, the hit velocity according to Statcast is just the speed the ball is travelling in any direction, not the speed of the ball travelling to the outfield. So if you have a habit of hitting 95mph ground balls, but you're chopping them into the grass for easy bouncers, you're going to get out a lot (because as soon as it hits the ground for the first bounce it's going to lose a lot of that 95mph). But if you're hitting 80mph ground balls that start out almost flat you're going to get the ball through the infield more often.

Agreed but I was saying all else being equal (I.e. launch angle).

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone have info on Kim's historical splits against lefties? I'm ready to see Buck use him every day unless the splits are horrible.

Me too. Rickard has done nothing to demand ABs. He is fine in a reserve defense/pinch runner role.

Give Kim a shot against LHP. It's like Buck is doing everything he can to keep Kim from playing even when he is OPSing 1.000 and putting up the best ABs of anyone on the team.

Me too. Rickard has done nothing to demand ABs. He is fine in a reserve defense/pinch runner role.

Give Kim a shot against LHP. It's like Buck is doing everything he can to keep Kim from playing even when he is OPSing 1.000 and putting up the best ABs of anyone on the team.

Aw c'mon, don't act like Rickard's hot start didn't exist...

I'm fine with giving Kim a shot against a few LHP.

Anyone have info on Kim's historical splits against lefties? I'm ready to see Buck use him every day unless the splits are horrible.

Pulled this off the comments section of the fangraphs piece so I am not vouching for the accuracy.

KBO record 2011-2015

arg obp slg ops

Against R 0.313 0.413 0.528 0.941

Against L 0.351 0.437 0.502 0.939

Aw c'mon, don't act like Rickard's hot start didn't exist...

I'm fine with giving Kim a shot against a few LHP.

Well. He also got 35 pitches against Sabathia as well.

Kim also puts up great ABs along with an OPS that is about double Rickard's. I am not saying give him the job forever, let's just see what he can do.

Weems, you said yourself on the game thread that Rickard needs a week off.

Kim hit three balls pretty deep tonight. One was just foul down the right field line but had plenty of distance. The other two went to the warning track in center and left.

He looks to really be driving the ball much better of late. I expect so see the homerun numbers pick up soon. Could start coming in bunches.

Kim hit three balls pretty deep tonight. One was just foul down the right field line. The other two went to the warning track in center and left.

He looks to really be driving the ball much better of late. I expect so see the homerun numbers pick up soon. Could start coming in bunches.

I told everyone we needed to give him time, like the Pirates did with Kang. I'm right so far, but he could turn into parades (EEEKK!!) after the break, so you never know.

I told everyone we needed to give him time, like the Pirates did with Kang. I'm right so far, but he could turn into parades (EEEKK!!) after the break, so you never know.

I don't see him going the way of Paredes. Way too disciplined for that. I think he's also proven he can hit the MLB fastball, which was the major fear with him.

I don't see much downside with him at this point. He makes good contact and hits to all fields. Maybe the power won't develop and he will be a 5 to 10 homerun player. I think he could be a 15-20 homerun guy though. We will see.

I don't see him going the way of Paredes. Way too disciplined for that. I think he's also proven he can hit the MLB fastball, which was the major fear with him.

I don't see much downside with him at this point. He makes good contact and hits to all fields. Maybe the power won't develop and he will be a 5 to 10 homerun player. I think he could be a 15-20 homerun guy though. We will see.

That we will. I'm excited that this guy is panning out.

Archived