Wow, Kim is untouchable

cm1290

He has certainly shown a terrific plate approach and at least adequate defense. Still isn't quite a complete player. Power isn't there yet, defense isn't great, and still hasn't been used against LHP. I could see something like Markakis money. Do you think he would say no to a 4/$40M extension?

I want to see him against LHP, before I think about the 4/40 range.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He has certainly shown a terrific plate approach and at least adequate defense. Still isn't quite a complete player. Power isn't there yet, defense isn't great, and still hasn't been used against LHP. I could see something like Markakis money. Do you think he would say no to a 4/$40M extension?

RE Power: Kim's .460 SLG is 5th on the team, ahead of such sluggers (both true and fantasized) as Jones, Davis, Reimold, Hardy, and Wieters. People keep waiting for his BA and OBP to drop, but they don't. But even if they fall 10 or 15 per cent from the current .339/.418, that still leaves him at .305/.376 or .288/.355, respectively. His OPS is second behind only Manny, who is having a great year, and .020 ahead of Trumbo, who is also being celebrated for having a career season.

Kim supposedly did fine against left-handers in S. Korea. With his approach, I would think he has a good chance of succeeding against them here as well, although it might take him a while to achieve it and Buck may wait until next year to find out because of the tight race we're in. In just 54 games, Kim has already put up a 1.7 offensive WAR (-0.9 defensive WAR). Can he improve defensively? Is he possibly our DH next season, assuming Alvarez doesn't return?

There are open questions, indeed, but if he can continue to deliver 85-90% of his current offensive performance, even if limited to games vs. right-handers and even if his power does not increase tremendously (I think everyone agrees it will improve some, especially since the stats show he hits the ball very hard), he's worth a lot to a team that is noticeably lacking in runners on base. See the string of seven solo homers for a case in point. I also believe that at his age and with his great eye for the strike zone and bat control, Kim is not a half-season fluke.

RE Power: Kim's .460 SLG is 5th on the team, ahead of such sluggers (both true and fantasized) as Jones, Davis, Reimold, Hardy, and Wieters.

This isn't a criticism, but his ISO is 9th on the team. The only reason his slugging is higher than the players you mention (save for Hardy) is he's getting a lot more singles.

I applaud him for pulling himself up by his bootstraps and making himself a serviceable player on the MLB level. But I would be looking to fill LF (and RF) next year with more speed and defense to build a more balanced offense and help our pitching staff in the process. I would not give him a long term extension.

I would be open to extending him on reasonable terms. He's probably not going to hit .330 regularly. Nobody does. If you can get him for $8 or $10M a year for 2-3 additional years I think you consider it. If he and his agent want 5/70 or something you wish him well, slap a QO on him if that's still an option, and go find the next Hyun Soo Kim.

This isn't a criticism, but his ISO is 9th on the team. The only reason his slugging is higher than the players you mention (save for Hardy) is he's getting a lot more singles.

You're right--thanks for the correction.

• 1 month later...

Kim T-shirt night.

Wonder if Buck will let him play...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="ko" dir="ltr">Introducing the Hyun Soo Kim T-shirt for all fans on 9/23!<br><br>오리올스 Orioles<br>김현수 Kim Hyun Soo<a href="https://t.co/RCkINMMJb5">https://t.co/RCkINMMJb5</a> <a href="https://t.co/cmNuQeINwG">pic.twitter.com/cmNuQeINwG</a></p>— Baltimore Orioles (@Orioles) <a href="

">September 8, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Kim's last 8 games (7 started): .222/.276/.259 - .535 OPS with a .273 BABIP.

Prior his BABIP for the year was .370.

He's had a few line drives and tough luck snares over the last week. But looks like this is Kim's first slump.

I think pitchers have finally made some adjustments.

Now is the time for Kim to adjust back, and I suspect he will.

Kim's last 8 games (7 started): .222/.276/.259 - .535 OPS with a .273 BABIP.

Prior his BABIP for the year was .370.

He's had a few line drives and tough luck snares over the last week. But looks like this is Kim's first slump.

How far back did you have to go to get eight games worth of data?

RE Power: Kim's .460 SLG is 5th on the team, ahead of such sluggers (both true and fantasized) as Jones, Davis, Reimold, Hardy, and Wieters. People keep waiting for his BA and OBP to drop, but they don't. But even if they fall 10 or 15 per cent from the current .339/.418, that still leaves him at .305/.376 or .288/.355, respectively. His OPS is second behind only Manny, who is having a great year, and .020 ahead of Trumbo, who is also being celebrated for having a career season.

Kim supposedly did fine against left-handers in S. Korea. With his approach, I would think he has a good chance of succeeding against them here as well, although it might take him a while to achieve it and Buck may wait until next year to find out because of the tight race we're in. In just 54 games, Kim has already put up a 1.7 offensive WAR (-0.9 defensive WAR). Can he improve defensively? Is he possibly our DH next season, assuming Alvarez doesn't return?

There are open questions, indeed, but if he can continue to deliver 85-90% of his current offensive performance, even if limited to games vs. right-handers and even if his power does not increase tremendously (I think everyone agrees it will improve some, especially since the stats show he hits the ball very hard), he's worth a lot to a team that is noticeably lacking in runners on base. See the string of seven solo homers for a case in point. I also believe that at his age and with his great eye for the strike zone and bat control, Kim is not a half-season fluke.

He is worth a lot to a team that struggles getting runners on base....except ones that are managed by Buck Showalter. Because clearly we have so mony guys that get on base so often, Kim is rather redundant most nights. And even if he does play, let's shove him at the bottom of the lineup and bat him 9th.

I mean Kim has had 3+ PA in all of 62 games out of 139. Bench player for 77 of them. 77!!

Even more alarming? The Orioles score an average of 1.62 more runs a game when Kim starts. The difference between the 1st ranked offense, and the 28th ranked one in MLB this year.

How far back did you have to go to get eight games worth of data?

[TABLE=class: sortable stats_table]

<tbody>[TR=class: hl]

[TD=align: left]Last 14 days[/TD]

[TD=align: right]8[/TD]

[TD=align: right]7[/TD]

[TD=align: right]29[/TD]

[TD=align: right]27[/TD]

[TD=align: right]3[/TD]

[TD=align: right]6[/TD]

[TD=align: right]1[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0[/TD]

[TD=align: right]2[/TD]

[TD=align: right]5[/TD]

[TD=align: right].222[/TD]

[TD=align: right].276[/TD]

[TD=align: right].259[/TD]

[TD=align: right].535[/TD]

[TD=align: right]7[/TD]

[TD=align: right].273[/TD]

[TD=align: right]33[/TD]

[TD=align: right]45[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Which, slumping or not, seems low to me.

Started 4 in a row. Next game was against Happ so he sat. Started the next game against Sanchez.

In September he didn't start the 3rd, 4th, 6th or 7th. Those starters:

3rd: Sabathia (LHP)

4th: Pineda (RHP)

6th: Odorizzi (RHP, but reverse splits)

7th: Smyly (LHP)

I understand the 3rd and the 7th. The reverse splits situation makes sense, too...because it's pretty damn dramatic (200+ OPS difference).

Against Pineda, though? I don't understand that one. You can't make the excuse that Buck was giving his starters a day off because...well...Kim didn't play the day before.

Pineda isn't a reverse splits kind of guy.

Unless Buck really just wanted to get Pearce more ABs as well as Alvarez over Kim. Which I suppose is plausible.

Archived