Wow, Kim is untouchable

cm1290

36 minutes ago, Norfolk orioles said:

What is Hardy batting in the ninth inning this year? Serious question.

Does he have a single hit?

This year, he has 2 singles in 16 at-bats in the 9th inning, incl. today. 1 RBI, 0 Runs, 6 Ks, 0 BBs.

In fact, the 9th inning has been BY FAR Hardy's worst throughout his career: .512 OPS in 501 plate appearances. To show how big a drop-off there is, his best is a .791 OPS in 727 PAs in the 5th inning. A huge difference of 279 points! :o

So I think there's no question that Kim would be a better choice in the 9th, provided there is someone to play shortstop.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, LA2 said:

This year, he has 2 singles in 16 at-bats in the 9th inning, incl. today. 1 RBI, 0 Runs, 6 Ks, 0 BBs.

In fact, the 9th inning has been by far Hardy's worst *throughout his career*: .512 OPS in 501 plate appearances. To show how big a drop-off there is, his best is .791 OPS in 727 PAs in the 5th inning.

I think there's no question that Kim would be a better choice in the 9th, provided there is someone to play shortstop.

Even if there isn't if there are two outs and the O's are behind.

19 minutes ago, LA2 said:

By the way, Kim has outstanding pinch-hitting, clutch, and high-leverage situation stats.

Which just makes Buck's extreme stubbornness with Kim all the more infuriating.

JJ is done and the only person who doesn't seem to know it is Buck.

I'd move put JJ on the DL with a phantom injury, move Manny to SS and then try to acquire a half way decent third baseman.

Or we can just watch as a floundering Hardy continues to make us play as though we are a NL team.

19 hours ago, LA2 said:

In fact, the 9th inning has been BY FAR Hardy's worst throughout his career: .512 OPS in 501 plate appearances. To show how big a drop-off there is, his best is a .791 OPS in 727 PAs in the 5th inning. A huge difference of 279 points! :o

So I think there's no question that Kim would be a better choice in the 9th, provided there is someone to play shortstop.

Those numbers sound pretty extreme, but most batters hit worst in the 9th inning, since that's when the opponent's closer is usually in the game.   Last year, AL hitters had a .687 OPS in the 9th inning, worst of any inning.    

For Kim, he's a .718 OPS hitter in the 9th inning.    For whatever reason, he has an astoundingly low .363 OPS in the 3rd inning.   

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Those numbers sound pretty extreme, but most batters hit worst in the 9th inning, since that's when the opponent's closer is usually in the game.   Last year, AL hitters had a .687 OPS in the 9th inning, worst of any inning.    

For Kim, he's a .718 OPS hitter in the 9th inning.    For whatever reason, he has an astoundingly low .363 OPS in the 3rd inning.   

Very good point about the relative difficulty of batting in the 9th. I would still maintain that, compounded with Hardy's overall poor performance, there's such a difference between his career .512 (501 PAs) and even the AL mean last year of .687 that pinch-hitting should be seriously considered when someone with Kim's skills is available.

11 hours ago, LA2 said:

Very good point about the relative difficulty of batting in the 9th. I would still maintain that, compounded with Hardy's overall poor performance, there's such a difference between his career .512 (501 PAs) and even the AL mean last year of .687 that pinch-hitting should be seriously considered when someone with Kim's skills is available.

I'm not disagreeing with that.    It's actually pretty odd that Hardy's career OPS in the 9th is so low.    I was just pointing out that it being somewhat lower than his OPS in other innings was not unusual.    The degree to which his is lower is unusual, however.    

• 3 weeks later...

I think Kim is a candidate to get dealt to a contending team since he's a pending FA.  Any thoughts on what he'd bring in return?  My guess would be a fringe A or AA prospect.  Maybe someone that could turn into a bullpen arm or 4th/5th outfielder in the next season or two.  Seth Smith could probably bring a similar return.  Thoughts?

Archived