PED Suspensions Coming

Sessh

28 minutes ago, weams said:

By the way, it is not about what they think might help. Any increase in testosterone levels help. Anything that increases them helps. Other things might help, could help, are thought to help. Testosterone helps. Anything that increases testosterone helps. Why do you think the youngsters are so good.  

Pretty sure Turpentine does not increase T levels. 

This is not accurate.

Several SARM clinical studies out there. All improve muscle development without having any functional impact. The key thing about SARMs is that they are specific and not a global therapy like testosterone. That specificity might also mean they lack the other processes needed to create functional tissue.

Testosterone does help, but it must be within a biological context to work.

Edit: I recognize I may have commented to your comment without the context of your comment.

Edited by jsbearr

19 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Airbrushing history doesn't work, especially since we all saw it happen in sports.  No one is really going to think that the 1997 Orioles were World Champs because (for example) someone discovered that a few Indians and Marlins took PEDs.  The NCAA does that, and I still saw USC beat Virginia Tech in '05 - they haven't gotten around to reprogramming my memories yet.

And I'd love to see the lawsuits when you take away Ryan Flaherty's playoff shares because Nelson Cruz gets popped on a test.

So many problems with pretending things that happened didn't.

Maybe you didn’t forget, but there’s no championship flag in the halls of USC to show future donors.

There’s no playoff shares for teams that don’t have enough wins for the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Maybe you didn’t forget, but there’s no championship flag in the halls of USC to show future donors.

There’s no playoff shares for teams that don’t have enough wins for the playoffs.

We all know what really happened.  I'm sure it's like Rose in Cooperstown.  No plaque, but plenty of memorabilia. I'm sure there's a big picture of Reggie Bush dumping Gatorade on Pete Carroll's head.

21 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I understand the theory, but any sport that does that will become football.  But a version of football that still promotes free safeties coming across the middle and obliterating wide receivers who aren't looking with helmet-to-helmet hits.  Enrollment in basket weaving will be way up (I'm sure you'll find a way to weave better baskets through PEDs).

It'll be like boxing.  Played mostly by the desperate and the poor and young guys who don't understand the consequences and are led around by older people who just don't care.

I'm not an alarmist, I don't believe in slippery slopes and domino theories, but unrestricted PED use would be pretty grotesque.  Clean leagues would pop up and be much more popular.  Not because they're really 100% clean, but because they're not cartoons.

I think a free for all already existed not that long ago and everyone was fine with it until the wrong guy broke the wrong record.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think a free for all already existed not that long ago and everyone was fine with it until the wrong guy broke the wrong record.

There was still some expectation that most players were not going full Bonds or full Hulk Hogan.  In your scenario you'll have players in Frederick with a port in their chest to inject industrial strength radioactive steroids on the bench.

25 minutes ago, jsbearr said:

This is not accurate.

Several SARM clinical studies out there. All improve muscle development without having any functional impact. The key thing about SARMs is that they are specific and not a global therapy like testosterone. That specificity might also mean they lack the other processes needed to create functional tissue.

Testosterone does help, but it must be within a biological context to work.

Edit: I recognize I may have commented to your comment without the context of your comment.

No you are good with your knowledge on this. We do know though that performance is enhanced with more testosterone, natural or not? 

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They take the lozenges and the gummies on the bench. We have seen that on recordings of the Yankee bench. The Troches.

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

There was still some expectation that most players were not going full Bonds or full Hulk Hogan.  In your scenario you'll have players in Frederick with a port in their chest to inject industrial strength radioactive steroids on the bench.

Then they could have Fort Detrick as the Sponsor.  "Performance enhanced by the U.S. Army"  lol.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe. I think the tide had turned before then. Media coverage of BALCO and Canseco's book really played a big deal. That sparked congressional hearings in 2005. The Mitchel Report was commissioned in March 2006. Bonds had just missed the entire 2005 season and wasn't even at 700 home runs yet. I remember many people were even wondering if Bonds could still play due to his injuries. The PEDs definitely helped him prolong his career.

I feel like Palmeiro's finger-wag and then being suspended shortly after hitting 3,000 in 2005 was a big deal. Sammy Sosa forgetting English at the congressional hearings was also something the late-night-shows could latch onto.

By the time Bonds broke the record, I think pretty much everyone cared.

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

MLB isn't going to pay for that.

• Upvote 1