Time to DFA Ubaldo

LookitsPuck

The team is 4-5 in the games Ubaldo has started. Not what you'd like to see, but hardly the point where he'll get yanked from the rotation. He's a streaky guy and could easily turn his season around. I'm not saying I'm sure he will, but it's way too early to assume he won't.

I'm recommending to pitch him in low leverage situations until he's better. He's killing us at the moment. There isn't a starter in AAA that would be worse at this point in time.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about Brad Brach? Can he start some games while Ubaldo gets his stuff together?

Or Vance Worley? Sorry but Ubi just isn't giving us a chance out there.

As I said, we're 4-5 in his starts, so apparently he has been "giving us a chance" some of the time. I'll grant you that 4 of his last five outings were bad to terrible (we went 2-3 in those 5) but it's just not enough to pull the plug at this stage.

I keep seeing people say how bad is at signing free agents and probably true but some of the same ones say we need to spend money. If you look at the free agents the last 5 years you see that almost all free agent signings for multi years are bad. Yet teams continue to sign guys and you can't win trying to buy free agents[b] look at the Red Sox they signed a few guys last year and struggled then decided to use the young guys now the offense is top notch.

Hanley Ramirez says hello.:rolleyes:

You really think Worley is worse? Except for last night when he walked a couple he's usually around the plate. That's more than I can say about Jimenez. I'd be willing to see some combination of Bundy and Worley in his place until he learns his way hasn't worked. And hopefully Gallardo is better when he comes back.

Yeah, and he's been able to hide for the most part, coming in for mop up duty. Worley with 5-6 IP at a time would be worse than Ubaldo. Plus, U has the potential to toss a great game, and maybe even get on track for a few months.

As I said, we're 4-5 in his starts, so apparently he has been "giving us a chance" some of the time. I'll grant you that 4 of his last five outings were bad to terrible (we went 2-3 in those 5) but it's just not enough to pull the plug at this stage.

Ubaldo's one Detroit Bullpen implosion away from being 3-6 in those starts. And it's not just about the ERA and WHIP. Ubaldo's gotten past the 5th inning in only three of those nine starts which is absolutely pathetic. For comparison's sake, Mike Wright has gotten past the fifth inning in five of his seven starts. His inability to go deep into games forces the bullpen to pitch more innings which will wear them out and cause them to be less effective as the season goes on. That is why Ubaldo needs to be removed from the rotation as soon as possible. His ineffectiveness will have a trickle-down effect that hurts the rest of the team.

His last two starts we lost 10-0 and 10-2. Those games would have been big wins for us. Buck needs to send a message to the rest of the players that money doesn't matter and performance does. If we leave him in, it sends the opposite message and potentially deflates moral.

His last two starts we lost 10-0 and 10-2. Those games would have been big wins for us.

Winning while scoring 0 and 2 runs isn't easy. I'm not going to sit here and defend how Ubaldo pitched in those games, but it's not like he's the sole reason we lost them.

Winning while scoring 0 and 2 runs isn't easy. I'm not going to sit here and defend how Ubaldo pitched in those games, but it's not like he's the sole reason we lost them.

I agree with your position sir but momentum changes when your down 6-0 so assuming we would have scored the same number of runs is a fallacy.

Ubaldo isn't even keeping us in the game. There are no better options currently but he has been downright awful.

Bottom line: DD shouldn't be allowed to make free agent decisions, maybe that's why PA took over the Crush negotiations:)

We could have signed Latos, Fister or Simon: all prob on par with Gallardo and not cost us a pick. Just bad decision making and about time DD gets some blame.

I don't think that very many people here at OH are saying that we should "pull the plug" i.e DFA him. What some of us are saying is that it's clear that there are some serious problems with Ubaldo's pitching, his mechanics, his control, his fastball command. Buck cannot just keep sending him out there every 5th game so that he gets walloped each time. He needs to be taken out of the rotation so that there is a better chance that his problems can be worked out. He has no options, so sending him to the minors isn't going to happen. So put him in the bullpen, in low-leverage situations right now, so that Wallace, Chiti, and Ramon can work on his techniques and mechanics and help him become a better pitcher and be valuable to the club.

I don't think that very many people here at OH are saying that we should "pull the plug" i.e DFA him. What some of us are saying is that it's clear that there are some serious problems with Ubaldo's pitching, his mechanics, his control, his fastball command. Buck cannot just keep sending him out there every 5th game so that he gets walloped each time. He needs to be taken out of the rotation so that there is a better chance that his problems can be worked out. He has no options, so sending him to the minors isn't going to happen. So put him in the bullpen, in low-leverage situations right now, so that Wallace, Chiti, and Ramon can work on his techniques and mechanics and help him become a better pitcher and be valuable to the club.

no brainer imho

Well said. Despite the name of the thread, most understand DFA-ING him isn't a realistic or sensible option at this point.

Archived