Jonah Keri on the success of the Orioles in the Duquette/Showalter era

TINSTAAPP

You appear to be operating under the grossly mistaken assumption that playoff victories are primarily a result of the manager. The manager is probably 1% of the equation, with talent and luck being most of the other 99%.

1%? So, the manager has a negligible effect on whether or not a team wins? The effect Buck had when he came here seemed like a lot more than 1%. I would even argue that he along with DD (at least initially) were the

two that had the most impact on the Orioles returning to relevance. Yeah yeah, I know the players have to perform, but the manager calls the shots. Do you think this team would be just as good if a fan was managing

the team in the dugout?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1%? So, the manager has a negligible effect on whether or not a team wins? The effect Buck had when he came here seemed like a lot more than 1%. I would even argue that he along with DD (at least initially) were the

two that had the most impact on the Orioles returning to relevance. Yeah yeah, I know the players have to perform, but the manager calls the shots. Do you think this team would be just as good if a fan was managing

the team in the dugout?

Most of the time, in one game, yes. Most of the manager's job isn't in-game. It's culture.

Most of the time, in one game, yes. Most of the manager's job isn't in-game. It's culture.

Okay, but as we saw with Buck's effect on this team when he got here, culture can kind of be a big deal. Buck's effect on this team changed the culture here and it has done wonders for this organization which would

probably equal more than 1%.

Okay, but as we saw with Buck's effect on this team when he got here, culture can kind of be a big deal. Buck's effect on this team changed the culture here and it has done wonders for this organization which would

probably equal more than 1%.

And that has little to do with winning a short series.

And that has little to do with winning a short series.

Of course it does. It's Buck's team who is playing the game the way he wants it played. He's writing the lineups, he's in control of who pitches and how long to leave them in, calling for pinch hitters, etc. and those signs

being relayed from the third base coach to the batters sometimes every pitch aren't coming, ultimately, from Buck? Signs are called all game by both managers trying to get a leg up on the opponent through strategy. A

manager's influence on a team can make a big difference in all games.

Of course it does. It's Buck's team who is playing the game the way he wants it played. He's writing the lineups, he's in control of who pitches and how long to leave them in, calling for pinch hitters, etc. and those signs

being relayed from the third base coach to the batters sometimes every pitch aren't coming, ultimately, from Buck? Signs are called all game by both managers trying to get a leg up on the opponent through strategy. A

Eh...the Best Players in the game add 8-9 wins per season. Are you saying a manager is worth more than an MVP player?

Eh...the Best Players in the game add 8-9 wins per season. Are you saying a manager is worth more than an MVP player?

Of course he isn't. And the best players don't really even win that many games.

I'm not sure I would take it that far, but it's way more than 1%. The manager decides who plays, who starts on the mound, who's on the roster etc .. calling the right plays at the right time can really change a game. Just

because the manager isn't swinging a bat and running down fly balls in the outfield every game doesn't make their presence negligible.

I'm not sure I would take it that far, but it's way more than 1%. The manager decides who plays, who starts on the mound, who's on the roster etc .. calling the right plays at the right time can really change a game. Just

because the manager isn't swinging a bat and running down fly balls in the outfield every game doesn't make their presence negligible.

You're not making much sense in this thread. You've acknowledged that Buck has had a significant impact on making the Orioles a winning team, yet you're casting him as the reason the O's haven't gotten to a World Series. How do those two connect? So Buck is a great regular season manager and then, what, just forgets how to manage in the playoffs?

You can believe as you wish, but in game decisions are rarely controversial, often have more than one right answer, and are minimal in impact compared to talent and luck. A little more in the aggregate over a long season.

You're not making much sense in this thread. You've acknowledged that Buck has had a significant impact on making the Orioles a winning team, yet you're casting him as the reason the O's haven't gotten to a World Series. How do those two connect? So Buck is a great regular season manager and then, what, just forgets how to manage in the playoffs?
You can believe as you wish, but in game decisions are rarely controversial, often have more than one right answer, and are minimal in impact compared to talent and luck. A little more in the aggregate over a long season.

I think these are the more lucid mind on this subject.

Archived