Dylan Bundy Thread

drdelaware

Pretty gutsy performance by Bundy. Didn't have his best stuff and he still made it work. Pretty promising! The rotation is looking much, much better with Gausman and Bundy legit mid to top of the rotation type of arms for the next couple of years.

Gutsy is one way of looking at it. I think he's exhausted.

Over his last 6 starts he's gone 6 innings exactly once and walked 19 and yielded 34 hits in 29 innings. He's pitched to a 6.91 ERA in that time. He's giving up almost 2 runners an inning and is very fortunate to be 3 and 3 in that stretch. His velocity hasn't decreased any further in the last 3 games, but he's walking almost a batter an inning in that time.

He's one out shy of 100 innings on the year, which is 35 more than he's thrown in the last 2 years combined.

I'm rooting for him as much as the next guy, but I'm starting to wonder if trotting him out there every 5 or 6 days is the best choice for him or the team.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over his last 6 starts he's gone 6 innings exactly once and walked 19 and yielded 34 hits in 29 innings. He's pitched to a 6.91 ERA in that time. He's giving up almost 2 runners an inning and is very fortunate to be 3 and 3 in that stretch. His velocity hasn't decreased any further in the last 3 games, but he's walking almost a batter an inning in that time.

He's one out shy of 100 innings on the year, which is 35 more than he's thrown in the last 2 years combined.

I'm rooting for him as much as the next guy, but I'm starting to wonder if trotting him out there every 5 or 6 days is the best choice for him or the team.

I think it is safe to say that if the O's were not in contention he wouldn't be pitching near this much and might already have been shut down.

Pretty gutsy performance by Bundy. Didn't have his best stuff and he still made it work. Pretty promising! The rotation is looking much, much better with Gausman and Bundy legit mid to top of the rotation type of arms for the next couple of years.

Bundy showed what a fierce, but cool-headed competitor he is by the way he fought through that 37-pitch second inning and kept things under control the next few until he could hand it over to Hunter, Hart, Brach, and Zach, who ably shut the Sox down.

I think it is safe to say that if the O's were not in contention he wouldn't be pitching near this much and might already have been shut down.

I guess my questions is, is the 4 or 5 innings at a 7 ERA Bundy has been giving us for the past month a half really helping the team anyway? He's turned in 2 limited run/high walk/limited inning outing in 6 tries. Maybe he gets a second wind and finishes strong, but I'm not holding my breath.

I guess my questions is, is the 4 or 5 innings at a 7 ERA Bundy has been giving us for the past month a half really helping the team anyway? He's turned in 2 limited run/high walk/limited inning outing in 6 tries. Maybe he gets a second wind and finishes strong, but I'm not holding my breath.

When the alternative is giving Miley more starts?

I know I'll get lambasted for saying this, but I think the Orioles play harder behind Bundy. It's just a feeling, which might be reflected in (or caused by) the fact that he has, by far, the highest run support among the O's starting pitchers: 6.5 (compare Tillman 4.9, Gallardo 4.5, and Gausman 4.4 http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/baltimore-orioles-team-stats?season=2016&category=PITCHING+II&group=1&sort=2&time=0&pos=0&qual=0&splitType=0).

So this means nothing to you? Not exactly some weak hitting cellar dwellers.

DATE OPPONENT RESULT IP H R ER HR BB SO GB FB TBF Pit Dec. Rel. ERA

09/13 @ BOS W 6-3 5.1 6 3 3 1 4 4 6 6 26 95 W(9-5) -- 3.88

09/07 @ TB L 6-7 3.2 7 5 5 2 2 7 3 8 20 91 -- -- 3.82

09/02 vs NYY W 8-0 5.2 2 0 0 0 4 5 9 4 22 97 W(8-5) -- 3.47

08/27 @ NYY L 5-13 4.0 7 5 5 1 3 6 3 10 22 90 L(7-5) -- 3.71

08/22 vs WSH W 4-3 6.0 3 2 2 1 4 4 4 12 25 94 W(7-4) -- 3.33

08/17 vs BOS L 1-8 4.1 9 5 5 2 2 2 7 13 25 89 L(6-4) -- 3.36

08/12 @ SF W 5-2 5.2 3 1 1 0 2 3 7 9 21 92 W(6-3) -- 2.93

08/07 @ CHW W 10-2 6.0 4 2 2 1 1 9 7 6 23 92 W(5-3) -- 3.05

08/02 vs TEX W 5-1 7.0 1 0 0 0 1 7 8 6 22 88 W(4-3) -- 3.05

07/27 vs COL L 1-3 5.2 2 3 3 2 1 8 6 5 20 89 L(3-3) -- 3.46

I won't lambast you but it's nonsense, at least on offense.

I'll buy that hitters might lose focus when the team has a large deficit. I'll buy that fielders might lose focus when a pitcher works slowly and walks batters.

But that is about as far as I go.

BTW the RS number I got for Gausman earlier was 3.85

I won't lambast you but it's nonsense, at least on offense.

I'll buy that hitters might lose focus when the team has a large deficit. I'll buy that fielders might lose focus when a pitcher works slowly and walks batters.

But that is about as far as I go.

BTW the RS number I got for Gausman earlier was 3.85

I can absolutely see why you think it's nonsense. Just posting to say that the website I cited def says Gausman 4.4, which is quite a surge from earlier in the season.

So this means nothing to you? Not exactly some weak hitting cellar dwellers.

This is going to sound a lot more confrontational than I want it to but I can't figure a better way to put it.

Do you think I tallied those metrics by doing something other than looking at his game logs and pitch fx data? I'm well aware of who he's faced. That doesn't change the fact that over his last 6 starts he's averaged less than 5 innings to a tune of a 6.2 ERA. It not like he's giving up a few more hard hit balls or pitching around a batter or two.

In his first six starts he carried a 95-96 mph fastball and yielded 20 hits and 8 walks in 32 innings(36 SO).

Then you can pretty much draw a line in the sand on August 17th.

In the six starts since then he's carried a 93-94 mph and yielded 34 hits and 19 walks in 29 innings(28 SO). I'm as high on Bundy's future as the next person, but there is way more bad than good lately. That's ignoring the fact that he's nearing uncharted territory for a young pitcher finding his way back from major injury.

I submit, we may not have anyone better.

o

15 OUTS: 4 Groundouts, 3 Strikeouts, 3 Flyouts, 3 Lineouts, 1 Popout, 1 Caught Stealing

DYLAN MATTHEW BUNDY oo (vs. RED SOX, 9/19)

IP:l 5

H:;; 6 ll(2 Home Runs, 1 Double, 3 Singles)

R:l) 5

BB:)2

SO:)3

Pitches: 99 (66 Strikes, 33 Balls)

2016 ERA: 4.13

PITCHES BY INNING

23 (14 Strikes, 91 Balls)

19 (14 Strikes, 51 Balls)

20 (14 Strikes, 61 Balls)

10 (71 Strikes, 31 Balls)

27 (17 Strikes, 10 Balls)

Archived