Dylan Bundy Thread

drdelaware

spin rate and trajectory make 4s/2s less problematic today then it was five years ago, I believe.

True.. but I was just pointing out nothing linked here showing Bundy is fatigued. Just his fastball speed is down. But none of the links delineate between the 2 and 4 seams in his speed chart over the last few starts. Maybe Bundy is beyond his years and knows how to pitch and not Gasman relying on his 4 seamer to get him out of trouble. That Bundy is that pitcher who will throw a 2 seamer and save 4 seamer for the right time. Pretty sure he hit 96 last night a few times. And was between 92 and 94 the rest of the night on fastballs. So who knows but there is other explanations then the panic crowd has saying for the last week. It's like there is a doom boner on the forum.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True.. but I was just pointing out nothing linked here showing Bundy is fatigued. Just his fastball speed is down. But none of the links delineate between the 2 and 4 seams in his speed chart over the last few starts. Maybe Bundy is beyond his years and knows how to pitch and not Gasman relying on his 4 seamer to get him out of trouble. That Bundy is that pitcher who will throw a 2 seamer and save 4 seamer for the right time. Pretty sure he hit 96 last night a few times. And was between 92 and 94 the rest of the night on fastballs. So who knows but there is other explanations then the panic crowd has saying for the last week. It's like there is a doom boner on the forum.

His execution is more inconsistent and his command has regressed, as well. Those are all general indicators of fatigue -- not just arm but maintaining mechanics and release. I'm not saying he is definitely fatigued and at risk of injury. Just saying he is showing a number of signs of fatigue.

His execution is more inconsistent and his command has regressed, as well. Those are all general indicators of fatigue -- not just arm but maintaining mechanics and release. I'm not saying he is definitely fatigued and at risk of injury. Just saying he is showing a number of signs of fatigue.

So has the whole staff.

So has the whole staff.

That would not be surprising. Most pitchers are more worn down later in the season. But most of the other starters have been through this before. Bundy will be asked to throw more innings than he ever has, and each additional inning very well might be thrown with him more fatigued than he's ever been in-season.

That would not be surprising. Most pitchers are more worn down later in the season. But most of the other starters have been through this before. Bundy will be asked to throw more innings than he ever has, and each additional inning very well might be thrown with him more fatigued than he's ever been in-season.

Yes, I think he needs to be watched carefully, and they need to find a way to get him extra rest once in a while. At the same time, with the exception of the Boston game, he's been getting pretty good results even if his stuff isn't quite as crisp as it was 4-5 starts ago. So, it's a balancing act, and with Tillman now faltering, they aren't going to be inclined to back off Bundy too much unless it becomes much more obvious that he is at serious risk.

Lol, no it's not. You should read what I wrote. A sinker and a cutter are grip are the same. What is the difference is a release. Roll/ tilt the wrist as you release a cutter and you will sink it.

LOL!

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/what-the-baltimore-bullpen-can-teach-us-about-arm-action/

The result has been a pitch that almost defies classification
As for why the pitch ends up moving like that, Britton shrugs. “I try not to pronate or manipulate the pitch at all,” he said, “just grip it and throw it.”

Now that you have learned something about Britton's sinker, back to Brooks.

Gausman doesn't have a 1 seamer listed, he has a sinker listed.

Tillman doesn't have a 2 seamer listed, he has a sinker listed.

Gallardo doesn't have a 2 seamer listed, he has a sinker listed.

For Ubaldo they list 4 seamer, sinker, slider, cutter, change, curve and split. No 2 seam fastball.

Now you can agree or disagree with their naming conventions, but it is pretty clear that what they call a sinker is a 2 seam fastball (or in Gausman's case 1 seam and in Britton's case unicorn)

When did they or would they?

Bundy is a work horse. He has been talking a lot about location and hitting those spots the past few starts. We all know that as a pitcher you have to make your pitches and/or hit your spots.. of course that is very important.... just odd to hear him point it out a few times (like they could be saying don't throw 96 - but take some off and hit your spots).

I don't think they are though. I am just saying I hope they are not.

You can't blame him for giving the Yankees four extra outs in the third inning. That may be the worst error-free defensive inning I've ever seen.

I didn't see the game, but Angel and Hunter felt Bundy pitched pretty well and was very unfortunate.

I didn't see the game, but Angel and Hunter felt Bundy pitched pretty well and was very unfortunate.

I agree with them. He was nine pitches into the 3rd when Texeira hit a ball into foul territory between 3B and home which would have been easily caught if not for the shift. That said, he needs to make better pitches when he's ahead in the count.

People might not know it, but a sure sign of fatigue is loss of command.

I agree with them. He was nine pitches into the 3rd when Texeira hit a ball into foul territory between 3B and home which would have been easily caught if not for the shift. That said, he needs to make better pitches when he's ahead in the count.

If we hadn't blown that COL-OAK-MIN road trip we'd probably have a little cushion and could afford to push him back. As it is it's razor thin and all hands on deck. Obviously if there's any sign of worry over Bundy's future health he should be shut down but I'll leave that to the team doctors to decide.

I think that third inning frazzled him mentally and physically. He didn't look the same after that.

I think ideally they would have liked to have Bundy be the back end of a 4/5th starter by committee, pitching shutdown three inning stretches that got us to the back end of the bullpen.

Archived