Dylan Bundy Thread

drdelaware

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's definitely a tough situation, but I don't know if he has it in him to pitch effectively anymore this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would rather see Bundy than Tyler Wilson as long as we have a shot. He was dominant in the first two innings, striking out Pedroia and Leon on three pitches. FB command and velocity was there. Wasn't really sharp on the secondaries. It will be interesting to see how they use him if we make it as far as a playoff series.

From ESPN story

"Prior to the season, the Orioles intended to limit Bundy -- who had thrown just 167 minor league innings in four injury-plagued years since being drafted fourth overall in 2011 -- to about 70 innings. Those 70 innings (70 2/3 to be exact) carried him through August 12th, during which time he posted a 2.93 ERA, a 1.22 WHIP, and a 3.4 strikeout-to-walk ratio. Since August 12th, he has a 6.68 ERA, a 1.81 WHIP, and 1.5 K-to-BB ratio"

It may be time.

Despite the race were in I'm in favor of skipping 1 start for Bundy.

I like this approach. Then he could be available to pitch the final weekend in NY. Even then they could skip him if their postseason spot is locked in (or they've been eliminated). At this point on 4-5 days rest he's not much better than Miley/Gallardo/Wilson/Worley, so the marginal benefit is not worth the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

o

15 OUTS: 6 Groundouts, 5 Strikeouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Foulout, 1 Lineout

DYLAN MATTHEW BUNDY oo (vs. DIAMONDBACKS, 9/25)

IP:l 5

H:;; 3 ll(1 Double, 2 Singles)

R:l) 1

BB:)1 *

SO:)5

Pitches: 92 (59 Strikes, 33 Balls)

2016 ERA: 4.02

* Bundy also had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

20 (13 Strikes, 71 Balls)

12 (81 Strikes, 41 Balls)

13 (91 Strikes, 41 Balls)

23 (13 Strikes, 10 Balls)

24 (16 Strikes, 81 Balls)

Buck did the right thing by removing him after the fifth inning. He looked pretty good in this game, though.

o

He looked great for the first 3 innings today.

As I stated in another thread, this was the 3rd consecutive game in which Bundy has pitched on 5 days' rest. Perhaps he is gradually regaining some of the strength that he lost as the season progressed, and as his innings (and the Orioles' dependence on him to continually go out there on regular/4 days' rest) continued to pile up. I hope so.

o

15 OUTS: 6 Groundouts, 5 Strikeouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Foulout, 1 Lineout

DYLAN MATTHEW BUNDY oo (vs. DIAMONDBACKS, 9/25)

IP:l 5

H:;; 3 ll(1 Double, 2 Singles)

R:l) 1

BB:)1 *

SO:)5

Pitches: 92 (59 Strikes, 33 Balls)

2016 ERA: 4.02

* Bundy also had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

20 (13 Strikes, 71 Balls)

12 (81 Strikes, 41 Balls)

13 (91 Strikes, 41 Balls)

23 (13 Strikes, 10 Balls)

24 (16 Strikes, 81 Balls)

o

90b5ff5630f429a09d25551582ced146.jpg

o

This is going to sound a lot more confrontational than I want it to but I can't figure a better way to put it.

Do you think I tallied those metrics by doing something other than looking at his game logs and pitch fx data? I'm well aware of who he's faced. That doesn't change the fact that over his last 6 starts he's averaged less than 5 innings to a tune of a 6.2 ERA. It not like he's giving up a few more hard hit balls or pitching around a batter or two.

In his first six starts he carried a 95-96 mph fastball and yielded 20 hits and 8 walks in 32 innings(36 SO).

Then you can pretty much draw a line in the sand on August 17th.

In the six starts since then he's carried a 93-94 mph and yielded 34 hits and 19 walks in 29 innings(28 SO). I'm as high on Bundy's future as the next person, but there is way more bad than good lately. That's ignoring the fact that he's nearing uncharted territory for a young pitcher finding his way back from major injury.

I submit, we may not have anyone better.

It's amazing how Bundy didn't look "worn out" against a cellar dweller lineup. He gritted through 5 but only giving up one run is all we need. Don't kick dirt on him this season just yet.

o

He looked great for the first 3 innings today.

As I stated in another thread, this was the 3rd consecutive game in which Bundy has pitched on 5 days' rest. Perhaps he is gradually regaining some of the strength that he lost as the season progressed, and as his innings (and the Orioles' dependence on him to continually go out there on regular/4 days' rest) continued to pile up. I hope so.

o

If the Orioles' season does extend beyond Sunday (and if Bundy starts in any of those games), he will be making his 4th consecutive start of pitching on AT LEAST 5 days' rest. And again, I'm hoping that the cumulative extra rest that he has gotten over the final month of the season will have been a factor in him regaining some of the strength that he had earlier in the season ........ we may have already started to see that, as he was dominant for the first 3 innings of his most recent outing.

Saw this on my mlb app. Oddly enough the app version of this article is more in depth.

http://m.orioles.mlb.com/news/article/204098528/orioles-not-shutting-down-dylan-bundy-yet/

I think we should have went with Miley today. Bundy Saturday, with extra rest. Gausman if needed on Sunday.

I'd really hate to see us waste Bundy out of the pen in long relief if Gallardo gets knocked around early tonight. Gallardo is a huge gamble. I disagree with him starting but will be staying in and rooting for him like the playoff game it basically is.

o

Dylan Bundy's 2016 season has been one of major evolution.

He started the season as a player that was only on the Major League roster because of the fact that he was out of options.

He was shaky out of the bullpen early on.

Then the Orioles put him in a special role of being a long reliever pitching at least 2 innings at a time, and with at least 3 or 4 days' rest in between outings ...... and in that role, he was dominant.

Then, he was inserted into the starting rotation. After getting KO'd in his first outing as a starter, he had numerous dominant outings after that, which have been mixed with mediocre outings as of late. Subsequently, it has become pretty clear that Bundy (at least for this season) really should be getting at least 5 days' rest in between starts.

Bundy has really come along way since the start of the season, when he was only on the Major League roster because he was out of options, and the Orioles did not want to chance losing him by DFA'ing him ........ a VERY LONG WAY since then.

o

Overall, I believe that 2016 was a very solid season for Bundy ....... as I stated in my cited post, he came a very long way from the guy who was only on the 25-man roster at the beginning of the season because of the fact that he was out of options.

In April, many of us were wondering if the Orioles could carry him on the roster without him being too much of a liability ...... in October, many of us were hoping that we would AT LEAST see him come out of the bullpen for 3 innings at a time (if not necessarily start games) had the Orioles managed to make it beyond the Wild Card playoff game.

I don't think anyone could've expected or asked for anything better. I was worried about the IP piling up, and he seemed to have hit the wall a little bit in September, but this season was a great success for him, IMO. Really looking forward to what next season brings from him and Gausman.

Archived