TT: The Orioles are a mediocre team

Tony-OH

I'm reserving judgment. It's a bad 9-game stretch, but we're still six games over. We look ugly right now because Jones and Davis haven't been hitting, but there will be times when those guys will carry us. I'm also optimistic about what we'll get from Tyler Wilson.

Agreed. O's were one robbed 2 run HR (Manny) and one called back (Davis) from them playing extra innings right now. It's too early to write them off. Good teams still have their slumps. I look forward to them turning the corner.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm reserving judgment. It's a bad 9-game stretch, but we're still six games over. We look ugly right now because Jones and Davis haven't been hitting, but there will be times when those guys will carry us. I'm also optimistic about what we'll get from Tyler Wilson.

Level headed and fair like usual. I am frustrated too but it's easy to say how terrible things are when we're going through a rough stretch.

Many of us have known this, Tony, and agree with you. It's been obvious for a some time. This team has no shot this year and I'm worried about the future. I want Dan out of here.

Many defend the farm system and blame the sports writers for underrating our system:) We just don't get the respect they say....

We employ one of the lowest, if not THE lowest number of scouts in the league. That also concerns me given that scouts don't make that much $$$, smart investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They said that on the telecast tonight and last night, .500 team indeed.

Gausman has been disappointing as of late. Ubaldo gives us zero chance to win.

But what has really changed? Hardy getting hurt has not helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I blame Weaver and his 80-couple-mph fastball. The offense hasn't been the same since.

Dan came in and said we have to build threw the farm and instead, he has depleted the farm. For that, he should be replaced. We have repeated the mistakes of the late eighties, trying to right a sinking ship by throwing money at it. Didn't work then and won't work now.

Losing J.J. Hardy is a big reason for this slide. It was proven in their record last year, and will be so again this year.

The difference between Machado and Hardy or Machado and whoever is HUGE.

If one player can take down a whole team, that is not a good team. The Royals have been hit hard by injuries, yet they are still leading the Central and putting space between them and second. If losing Hardy has had

this much impact on the Orioles, that is sad. If we actually had a decent farm system, we would have someone better than Flaherty and Janish to put in there. You know, someone that could actually hit AND field.

They're in a slump, but I'm not calling them a mediocre team until their actual record reflects that. I think they're a decent/good team that will need to stay healthy and have some things to go right if they want to make it to the postseason.

Dan came in and said we have to build threw the farm and instead, he has depleted the farm. For that, he should be replaced. We have repeated the mistakes of the late eighties, trying to right a sinking ship by throwing money at it. Didn't work then and won't work now.

DD has made no significant long term additions to this team. Who is his best long-term acquisition, Chris Lee? The guy who is striking out 3 batters per 9 innings in Bowie.

The only thing that DD has been good for is finding guys who can come in and contribute for a couple months or a season. His free agent signings and trades have been flat out embarrassing.

People won't realize how bad of a GM DD is until a year or two after he's gone, when he has left to avoid the massive rebuild.

I love these threads after a loss or a bad stretch. Like clockwork.

Make sure to bump this when they run off 8/10 and get back to 10 games above .500.

Oh I forgot, no chance of that happening this team is destined for failure. Just a mirage.

I love these threads after a loss or a bad stretch. Like clockwork.

Make sure to bump this when they run off 8/10 and get back to 10 games above .500.

Oh I forgot, no chance of that happening this team is destined for failure. Just a mirage.

DD has sacrificed the future for short term gain. He needs to go. We may get lucky and make a wild card, despite all his bad moves but that success would be fools gold.

If one player can take down a whole team, that is not a good team. The Royals have been hit hard by injuries, yet they are still leading the Central and putting space between them and second. If losing Hardy has had

this much impact on the Orioles, that is sad. If we actually had a decent farm system, we would have someone better than Flaherty and Janish to put in there. You know, someone that could actually hit AND field.

I agree with what you're saying. The Royals, and most contending teams, have better depth than we do. They also have farm systems that actually have players to bring up who can contribute.

We just pile up DH, first base, and corner outfield depth at the AA/AAA levels and don't have anyone nearly ready to step in at shortstop/second base.

I still think it's too early to give up on this season. However, if we're stuck with only Tillman as a consistent starter, we'll be in for a very long summer.

I'm going to guess that he was told to be "competitive" and given a relatively fixed budget, and dissuaded from using the international draft money. Just guessing, of course, but I think Dan had a pretty good record of drafting & developing international talent in a prior life.

I still find it absolutely incredible they spent 200 mil in the offseason and the starting pitching actually got MARKEDLY worse and we lost another first round draft pick.

Sorry, but Dan duquette sucks. I wish he was in Toronto and I have to think buck may feel the same way too.

Disappointing but we all knew coming into the year the team would look exactly like this. Maybe not Gallardo pitching so bad, but otherwise. I dont think many were predicting 90 wins for this team.

I don't think the O's are a mediocre team. If we play .500 the rest of the way(mediocre) we are an 84 W team. But if we play as poorly as we did in May the rest of the way, we are an 88 W team, in the running for the WC. Some how I think we will have few better months than May.

Archived